• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

.field

Reaction score
^ They are really nice, but there is something super sweet about the chromexcel ones..

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Cigar LWB arrived early this morning, quick family pick with all Aldens, missing Ravello LWB, which are visiting Alden for new soles.

(Sorry, lousy camera phone pic)

nbernie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
Cigar LWB arrived early this morning, quick family pick with all Aldens, missing Ravello LWB, which are visiting Alden for new soles.

(Sorry, lousy camera phone pic)

Absolutely legendary.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon
Sizing question if I may....

My 10D Barrie last chukkas in shell fit just fine.

If I wear them with my orthodics, they feel a bit snug all over....but more sore in the lace up area than in the toe box.

What would be a better option for adding some room : 10E or 10.5D?

thanks!

I've given up (at least until next time) on Alden chukkas. They're just too tight on the top of my foot with orthotics. My foot moved around excessively in a pair of unlined suede that I tried. The shell has a distorted look caused by my foot pushing up too much. I do better with chukkas that have 4 eyelets as the boot comes up higher, but then they're bordering on regular boots rather than chukkas.
Good luck.

FENWAY

Reaction score
I'm all for the tradition of the flat cloth laces on the Indy's, but they're not built to last. Mine broke on the road yesterday, so I stopped into a Sports Authority and grabbed some hiking laces. Match up pretty good on these 403s with the stitching.
100_0510.jpg

John_

Reaction score
Boots aside, it seems people here prefer vouchers to balmorals...is that the case? I know I tend to, even though in theory they are supposed to be not as formal.

kraig

Reaction score
I think the vintage jumpers will start to show some more character when the leather wears in a little. The CXL looks great right out of the box.

jumpers.jpg

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Racove
All my Alden boots have speed hooks. For those who have both, do you strongly prefer the speed hooks? debating a pair without them, but afraid I'll hate it.
I prefer without hooks, because I think it looks cleaner and fits better around the ankle and calf. It takes a few seconds longer to put on the shoe, but I think it's worth it. Also it means you can wear them with dress trousers or a suit without worrying about a hook pulling out your trouser hem.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by John_
Boots aside, it seems people here prefer vouchers to balmorals...is that the case? I know I tend to, even though in theory they are supposed to be not as formal.

In the US these days, I find that very few people are concerned about the formality issue. I do keep one pair of black calf balmorals for more formal meetings, and black patent balmorals for black tie.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
I prefer without hooks, because I think it looks cleaner and fits better around the ankle and calf. It takes a few seconds longer to put on the shoe, but I think it's worth it. Also it means you can wear them with dress trousers or a suit without worrying about a hook pulling out your trouser hem.

On the contrary. I think speed hooks are... slower.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do the over under lacing on the boots. Result is easy on, easy off, with minimal (one eyelet) unlacing required on boots with no speed hooks.

Biggest drawback to speedhooks is they can catch on the trousers. Otherwise it's pretty much all the same to me.

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
I do the over under lacing on the boots. Result is easy on, easy off, with minimal (one eyelet) unlacing required on boots with no speed hooks.

Biggest drawback to speedhooks is they can catch on the trousers. Otherwise it's pretty much all the same to me.

Is there any-way to prevent the speedhooks from catching? Can you send them to alden and have them replace them with eyelets?

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only use the bottom two speed hooks so I use pliers to fold the top two sets closed and it works to catch the pants less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads