• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lane, we get that mixing markedly different designers looks dumb. My point at issue is that kunk is berating people for trying different things, throwing around his superiority for sticking to one designer, consantly berating people for "having rick owens and band" in the same wardrobe, etc. etc. Yeah we get that Rick Owens is a "badass" look and makes the wearer feel cool. ****, even I feel like a bawse wearing a Rick leather. But does that justify having 95% of your wardrobe be the same? Here are kunk's last 15 or so fits.
IMG_2000.jpg
IMG_1995.jpg
IMG_1999-1.jpg
IMG_1931.jpg
photo-433.jpg
photo4.jpg
photo-690.jpg
IMG_20110204_092856.jpg
photo2.jpg
IMG_20110129_143041.jpg
photo-1552.jpg
IMG_20101209_122022.jpg
photo-2054.jpg
IMG_1430.jpg
photo-1324.jpg
photo-1982.jpg
IMG_20101213_093301-1.jpg
photo-2407.jpg

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Nobody wears boo with ro I dunno wtf you're talking about. Can you show me a pic?

I think you're making the mistake of me giving a ****, I couldn't care less if people dress like that my posts are reactionary in nature to those presenting a weak argument which gdl summed up best:

Now, the whole designer consistency bs is just a big sack of **** for weak minded people who can't put an outfit together and need to be told what goes with what. To me, it's the very lowest form of style identity, simple brand whorism without an ounce of thought. So here you go, different strokes, I guess.

They like it bc it's dummy proof, ro goes with more ro just like julius. People like that bc it's simple and they don't have to think. It makes for great business and marketing towards its fans too. The customers like the look, they like to feel like a badass because they think that's what the image of that particular clothing projects and they never had that before. It's probably to compensate for other things too who knows? They want to feel empowered and they think that by wearing all black this and leather that does exactly that. That somehow color (which btw they have no idea how to coordinate) isn't as hard as greys and blacks and somehow compromises their edge. It's like a pre-assembled aesthetic, if that's your thing fine but don't argue like you got style or doing the inverse of what you're doing is somehow inferior. That's just a defense mechanism driven by insecurity.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for the record I don't like RO leathers, and I buy Julius specifically because of personality reasons. Not because I wanna feel badass. I think its just really hard for us to see eye to eye since we are at opposite extremes. I like monochromatic attire, but I do fit in color there, but it has to be darker shades. I don't think its fair to pidgeonhole people in that manner just because they are abhorrent to color. What if they truly don't like it?

I actually started out wearing a ton of color. I never posted fits because it was Jcrew garbage, but it was the standard chinos + some button up. I didn't feel like I was being myself after a while, and for some reason Julius did that for me. If I'm bland and unoriginal for being as what I perceive, "being true to myself" then so be it.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno, maybe some people just want to dress in a way that they like, regardless of whether or not it is in the manner of a creative visionary. I like kunk's fits. Predictable? Absolutely, but obviously he likes it as well. Probably nobody wears a rick leather with jil, but even if it's all Rick one day, and BoO and boat shoes the next, still odd to me. I think some kind of identifiable personal aesthetic is important. Otherwise everything looks like a costume

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yah, exactly..I think some people just come into an aesthetic because it readily speaks to them, and wearing anything else would be out of the question because it wouldn't be them. Even if seems like a carbon copy of runway shows they've pieced it together in their own personal way and feel comfortable in that manner.

I don't see how taking away a piece or two and replacing them with MMM (example) or something would make it anymore genuine or interesting, tbh. Maybe I'm too caught up with trying to see what the person is telling me with what they wear. Cuz that's what I try to do.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some RO leathers are pretty tame when compared to the rest of his work- those can work with other labels like Jil or dare I say BoO.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yah, its why I don't like them. Way too boring looking for the asking price, lol.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
for the record I don't like RO leathers, and I buy Julius specifically because of personality reasons. Not because I wanna feel badass. I think its just really hard for us to see eye to eye since we are at opposite extremes. I like monochromatic attire, but I do fit in color there, but it has to be darker shades. I don't think its fair to pidgeonhole people in that manner just because they are abhorrent to color. What if they truly don't like it?

I actually started out wearing a ton of color. I never posted fits because it was Jcrew garbage, but it was the standard chinos + some button up. I didn't feel like I was being myself after a while, and for some reason Julius did that for me. If I'm bland and unoriginal for being as what I perceive, "being true to myself" then so be it.

Originally Posted by Lane
yah, exactly..I think some people just come into an aesthetic because it readily speaks to them, and wearing anything else would be out of the question because it wouldn't be them. Even if seems like a carbon copy of runway shows they've pieced it together in their own personal way and feel comfortable in that manner.

I don't see how taking away a piece or two and replacing them with MMM (example) or something would make it anymore genuine or interesting, tbh. Maybe I'm too caught up with trying to see what the person is telling me with what they wear. Cuz that's what I try to do.

This is called forum conditioning, it took you being on zeitgeist for awhile in order to realize that. You're only fooling yourself but I'm all for it if it makes you happy.

Guess synthese wears a costume every day.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not entirely, I have a personal reasoning as to why I feel so aligned to the label. It all has to do with my beliefs, feelings, and ****. I don't obsess over Paul Harnden and CCP fencing jackets like they do over there. A lot of them are actually pretty flavor of the month since they are too focused on finding something new to wear constantly (look at classifieds/WAYWT). I'm more focused on finding something that fits me as an individual.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
This is called forum conditioning, it took you being on zeitgeist for awhile in order to realize that. You're only fooling yourself but I'm all for it if it makes you happy.

Guess synthese wears a costume every day.

Actually for him I'd say it's far from a costume, it's his own style. For me it would be a costume.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get why everyone is so upset lol

I think people wearing things that don't work together and experimenting is for the most part a learning experience, you have to go through that to learn alot. I've bought and sold heaps but over the years I've had way more wins as time goes on.

Some people want to wear different pieces together, some people want a uniform, as long as people are into good design I dont really care.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a simple argument over having varied items/styles in your wardrobe vs something more "unified".

Some of kunk's fits look good and represent the Rick aesthetic well, but I just wanted to show that wearing the same designer all the time, even worse almost the same exact outfit where every piece you have is interchangable, is a lot worse than wearing a button-down one day and a Rick jacket the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads