• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you guys think of the new style BMW 5-Series (F10)?

Kookz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

How long have you been into bmws? I suspect not long.

For as long as I've been into cars. Do I need to be a certain age? The E60 is stunning. I'll reserve judgement on the F10 until I see the M5.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
No, you don't.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/02/15/mo...-transmission/

BMW is done. First FWD cars, now this.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

--Andre

Update: A source close to the brand told BMWBLOG that the rumors around an M5 with automatic transmission only are unfounded and the report is pure speculation at the moment.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kookz
For as long as I've been into cars. Do I need to be a certain age? The E60 is stunning. I'll reserve judgement on the F10 until I see the M5.

Oh nice, what bmws have you owned in the past?

Kookz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

Owners only allowed?

The only BMWs I own are an R1200GS and a G650X Challenge. I haven't owned a car in 5 years, it doesn't make any sense when I don't have a permanent country of residence, but I've put about 20,000 miles on an E85, E90 and E92 over the last few years via my ex.

I remember when the E39 came out that I didn't find it all that attractive compared to the E34, and I suppose that stuck with me over the years even though the later E39s were very handsome. I very much prefer the E60 though, as far as style goes, to any modern sedan on the road. The F10 is a little too visually heavy for me, but I will definitely wait for the M5 before making an opinion on the whole design. The F10 looks good in person, and even the F11 isn't nearly as bad in person as the pictures make it out to be.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

I've owned an E36 (lasted me 10 years), an X3 (I gave up on it after one year; I'm just not an SUV . . . excuse me SAV guy), a 2005 545i and a 2008 535xi. I like the E60 styling
musicboohoo[1].gif

Oh yeah and an R1100R and a K75

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Owners only allowed?

The only BMWs I own are an R1200GS and a G650X Challenge. I haven't owned a car in 5 years, it doesn't make any sense when I don't have a permanent country of residence, but I've put about 20,000 miles on an E85, E90 and E92 over the last few years via my ex.

I remember when the E39 came out that I didn't find it all that attractive compared to the E34, and I suppose that stuck with me over the years even though the later E39s were very handsome. I very much prefer the E60 though, as far as style goes, to any modern sedan on the road. The F10 is a little too visually heavy for me, but I will definitely wait for the M5 before making an opinion on the whole design. The F10 looks good in person, and even the F11 isn't nearly as bad in person as the pictures make it out to be.

Oh...

Originally Posted by Bartolo
I've owned an E36 (lasted me 10 years), an X3 (I gave up on it after one year; I'm just not an SUV . . . excuse me SAV guy), a 2005 545i and a 2008 535xi. I like the E60 styling
musicboohoo[1].gif

Oh yeah and an R1100R and a K75

Sorry, the question was directed at kookz.

Kookz

Reaction score
And the point of the question?

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
I always find it amusing that the last "real" car of any brand is the one the poster had.
smile.gif
The 5-series since the E39 are no less real, though it does enjoy the strongest consensus I've seen for "last great 5-series," in the way that the 993 is still the last great 911.

As far as lamenting the move to FWD - that hasn't even occurred yet! I agree that I'm not a fan of electric-assist power steering, though it's gotten better than its first release in the E85 Z4.

I think there are some of us who think that cars are progressively getting "softer." Instead of focusing on things like how direct the steering feels, or how flat a car corners, or how neutral it handles at the limit, manufacturers are putting more emphasis on how soft the interior materials are, whether they should use bi, tri, or quad xenon headlamps, how quiet they can make the car, etc. Instead of actually making the car more engaging, they are looking to further isolate the driver from the vehicle. This is evident in the trend away from manual transmissions, the ever-increasing curb weights, the move away from a driver-centric center console, etc. It's as if drivers today don't actually want to "drive," they just want to sit there being transported from place to place in plush leather seats while they admire the soft interior bits and ambient lighting. Some might consider this trend as making cars more refined, but for those of us who actually enjoy driving, we'd prefer to keep things a bit more raw.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
And the point of the question?

You proved my point as I had suspected.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
I think there are some of us who think that cars are progressively getting "softer." Instead of focusing on things like how direct the steering feels, or how flat a car corners, or how neutral it handles at the limit, manufacturers are putting more emphasis on how soft the interior materials are, whether they should use bi, tri, or quad xenon headlamps, how quiet they can make the car, etc. Instead of actually making the car more engaging, they are looking to further isolate the driver from the vehicle. This is evident in the trend away from manual transmissions, the ever-increasing curb weights, the move away from a driver-centric center console, etc. It's as if drivers today don't actually want to "drive," they just want to sit there being transported from place to place in plush leather seats while they admire the soft interior bits and ambient lighting. Some might consider this trend as making cars more refined, but for those of us who actually enjoy driving, we'd prefer to keep things a bit more raw.

I agree, and I wonder, in the case of BMW, whether they see Lexus and Infiniti sales and believe that they have to make their cars even a little more like them (especially re softness of ride for the purposes of this discussion) to attract more customers(?). I really do think that the F10 drives a little bit "softer" than the E60.

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
I always find it amusing that the last "real" car of any brand is the one the poster had.
smile.gif
The 5-series since the E39 are no less real, though it does enjoy the strongest consensus I've seen for "last great 5-series," in the way that the 993 is still the last great 911.

As far as lamenting the move to FWD - that hasn't even occurred yet! I agree that I'm not a fan of electric-assist power steering, though it's gotten better than its first release in the E85 Z4.

I stand by my comments that the E39 is the last real 5 series. Actually When I was looking to trade in the E39 540i, I desperately wanted to be impressed by the E60 545i. But during the test drive, it was wholely underwhelming. So I went back and bought the E39 M5. I kept that until 2 years year ago, I still miss that car dearly. There is not a single current model BMW that I would buy. To another poster I agree, the Jaguar XF is what I would get now. Beautiful in and out, I would imagine that it makes every drive feel like an occasion.

Funny you mention 993. That is my weekend toy. And yes trying to find a clean 993 does cost a lot more than any 996 and many 997. There is a reason for this. supply vs demand

my views are commonly shared. This is a good thead, BMW... "the ultimate sellout machine"

http://www.autoextremist.com/current...extremist.html

Make no mistake, FWD is coming in 3 years. I imagine the test mules are already running around somewhere

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-cars-by-2015/

Electric power steering....'nuff said

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The jag XF is ******. I see them all day in 2.7d trim on tiny wheels and they look like a ford mondeo

spencers

Reaction score
I dont like where BMW is going with their models. They're all getting fat and bloated-looking. The 1-er seems like something the 3-er should be. And the 3-er is what the 5-er should be.. etc. etc.

But really, sometimes I miss my E30, and I'd kill for a 135i.

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
I miss the E30s too, I did have a 325e. Great car, mediocre engine. I thought the same thing about the 1. Its exterior size is what the 3 should be. Is it just the fondness filter of past memories or is the passenger compartment and trunk area in the 1 smaller when compared to the E30? The current 3 has gotten huge, and the F10 is the same size of a E38 7 series But BMW isn't the only guilty manufacturer. Many other marques are just as bad. Take Honda for example. their Civic is now as big as what the Accord was only a couple of generations ago. Worse still, it's gotten so big, that they aren't selling well in Japan. With annual sales so dismal, Honda just decided to stop selling them altogether in Japan. Imagine, no more Civics in Japan. Warning, more BMW bashing.... Back in the day, BMW instrument cluster lighting use to be orange colored. As the purveyors of the Ultimate Driving Machine, BMW (and the scientific community) reasoned that orange light produces less strain to the human eye during night driving, so that the driver would be more alert to both the road and to the information given by the car. Today, we get iDrive. What a change in corporate direction.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads