• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Awkward Racial Question

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im seeking some perspective on SF because it seems a lot of folks on this board do business in Asia and the anonymity of the web allows me to be a little more frank.

It's looking like I will be offered the chance to help head a group in Hong Kong starting this summer. 75% of the office will be asian, and about 100% of the clients. The job is a step up in responsibility and accepting the position would be a no-brainer but for one thing, Im black.

I hate to paint with a broad brush, but honestly 75% of the racial bullshit Ive encountered in my life has come from those of an asian persuasion. In college and to a lesser extent on this job, my interactions with foreign-born asians have been...weird. The vibe I catch is that many are either scared or appalled of me. This is just my experience, and admittedly it's a small sample size. Doesn't apply so much to the American-born.

A big part of this job is networking and selling, and Im worried my effectiveness is going to be comprimised right out of the gate.

Opinions and advice are welcome.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its funny that i just spoke to a friend and he said in korea whites are generally viewed as ok but brown and black not as much. im sure others can add more.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Opinion and/or advice? Go for it! Don't sit back a few years from now and regret that you didn't take the chance.!

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a Vietnamese friend tell me once that in general dark skinned people, including other dark skinned Asians, are looked down upon. Its not just black people its anyone darker than they are.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
I had a Vietnamese friend tell me once that in general dark skinned people, including other dark skinned Asians, are looked down upon. Its not just black people its anyone darker than they are.

I've heard this many times. Many of our female Korean students carry parasols so they don't darken from the sun.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much of a pain will it be to uproot yourself and move over there?
If it's not too big of a deal, just go for it. If after spending 6 months over there you realize that the social and professional interactions are indeed tainted by racial prejudice, justs come back.

You might be lucky and things turn out better than anticipated. Or worse. But you'll be richer by an awesome experience no matter what.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I concur and say you should go for it. Take the challenge, if it sucks, stick around for a couple of years and get the experience and go somewhere else.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone who starts with this mindset about a situation is going to succeed.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the good news is you will have the biggest wang at work by 6 inches probably.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cross22
I don't think anyone who starts with this mindset about a situation is going to succeed.
I'm going to guess you're white. You have the luxury of going through your life without thinking how race will affect you negatively

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dress to the nines and show them what it means to be a gentlemen.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rolleyes.gif
By mindset I meant the strong negative perception of the Asians (whether or not justified). But don't let that stop you from making assumptions.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, ok, my feeling is that you are going to encounter a lot of racism. Espectually if you are selling to and managing chinese or japanese. If your job will be working with ex-pat westerners, probrably less.

In about 20 years working in my line of work, I only knew one black guy in that position. He did well, and was well regarded, but I am sure he had some rough times. You will have some advantages in terms of a very powerful personal 'brand' - you'll be the black guy.

I still think I would do it, myself. I don't think that anybody will not do business with you because you are black, I am thinking moe people saying stupid things.
If you want to discuss any further pm me, I'd be happy to discuss off line.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads