• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just posting a couple of pics to bump the thread:

Bulgarian AKS74 (SGL31-44 with rare 1P29 Russian scope - a dirrect rip-off of the Brit SUIT Trilux):

patriasgl31441p29.jpg

Chinese NDM86 Dragunov:

patriandm86.jpg

That's a Bulgarian AKS74U on the bench with the muzzle device removed.

Godot

Reaction score
The AKS74U looks like a perfect urban tool, like for rodents and such.
drool.gif

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Godot
The AKS74U looks like a perfect urban tool, like for rodents and such.
drool.gif

It is pretty accurate out to 300 yards. The 8" barrel sacrifices some muzzle velocity but not much accuracy.

I got my SBR paperwork in to the BATF a few weeks ago. My trigger group is getting some Bill Springfield love and I am getting a virgin DDR barrel reprofiled to Krink spec while I wait.
smile.gif

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
It is pretty accurate out to 300 yards. The 8" barrel sacrifices some muzzle velocity but not much accuracy.

I got my SBR paperwork in to the BATF a few weeks ago. My trigger group is getting some Bill Springfield love and I am getting a virgin DDR barrel reprofiled to Krink spec while I wait.
smile.gif

Sounds like you're going all out for this one

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Well, the time has come where I have decided to purchase my first firearm. I'm looking at a 9mm Beretta pistol.

What kinds of guns do you all have and which would you recommend for a first timer?

I don't have any and asking about we all? has firearms become suits or T-shirts that people purchase just like that? Common man.

Well I recommend the one James Bonds uses in his movies. Very efficient and always gets the job done well.

OK good luck with your purchase, but don't tell anybody I said that.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
Sounds like you're going all out for this one

Yup. I sold 4 rifles to finance this build - my first SBR. Setting-up the NFA Trust was an expense I hadn't anticipated when I bought the kit.

Next dilemma: I have a Stormwerks mini-rail and a spare topcover to mount it on (I won't drill the matching no. original cover). I'd like to mount a genuine Aimpoint T1/H1, but may settle for a Vortex Sparc.

Milpool

Reaction score
Does anyone do any gunsmithing as a hobby? It seems like it would be fun, and I've got a fair set of tools due to my occupation (well, at least the measurement tools and basic hand tools, I don't have a mill or lathe).

I was thinking of buying a cheap SKS or the like to start on, so I don't cry when I ruin something.

Thoughts for a beginner?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool
Does anyone do any gunsmithing as a hobby? It seems like it would be fun, and I've got a fair set of tools due to my occupation (well, at least the measurement tools and basic hand tools, I don't have a mill or lathe).

I was thinking of buying a cheap SKS or the like to start on, so I don't cry when I ruin something.

Thoughts for a beginner?

What sort of gunsmithing interests you? Do you want to 'sporterize' that sks?

Because of current import restrictions on whole surplus rifles, there is now a HUGE cottage industry of home gunsmiths assembling foreign military rifles - FALS, G3s/CETME and especially AKs being very popular. Restoring/converting a Saiga rifle to it's proper AK configuration is fun and involves basic hand tools and no specialized skills (if you don't weld you can get someone else to do it or use little rubber hole plugs). From there you can move onto building an AK from a kit. Head-spacing is a challenge for first-timers. I'd suggest starting with a cheap Romanian kit and a cheap riveting tool (some people build them with screws, though that is pretty ghetto AK).

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Nighthawk Talon II in 9mm is waiting at MI Gunslingers for me to pay the last $1000, which should happen in the next week.

I don't expect to be shooting any other pistols for the first year, unless I get a big enough bonus to buy an Ed Brown Special Forces outright...

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
What sort of gunsmithing interests you? Do you want to 'sporterize' that sks?

Because of current import restrictions on whole surplus rifles, there is now a HUGE cottage industry of home gunsmiths assembling foreign military rifles - FALS, G3s/CETME and especially AKs being very popular. Restoring/converting a Saiga rifle to it's proper AK configuration is fun and involves basic hand tools and no specialized skills (if you don't weld you can get someone else to do it or use little rubber hole plugs). From there you can move onto building an AK from a kit. Head-spacing is a challenge for first-timers. I'd suggest starting with a cheap Romanian kit and a cheap riveting tool (some people build them with screws, though that is pretty ghetto AK).

Thanks for the info.

The end goal in my mind was to eventually fabricate my own rifles and shotguns, complete with inlay and stocks that I've carved myself, but that is WAY down the road once I have experience, a lathe to make a barrel, and a mill to produce a lot of the other parts. I know my way around a machine shop, I just don't have one at home.

For now, I was thinking the SKS because I've never actually gone beyond a routine field strip of a firearm. Completely tearing something like that apart and refinishing it would probably yield a lot of learning. I don't see myself dumping money on aftermarket parts for it or something.

If assembling military rifles could help pay for the rest of the stuff I need for this hobby, then I'd be all over it at this point. Good way to learn a lot and make some money.

Where do I find these kits?

Willie5566

Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
My Nighthawk Talon II in 9mm is waiting at MI Gunslingers for me to pay the last $1000, which should happen in the next week.

I don't expect to be shooting any other pistols for the first year, unless I get a big enough bonus to buy an Ed Brown Special Forces outright...

Your last $1000!?!?!?!? How much is your 9mm????

I just googled and while I could not find prices it appears the gun is custom made for each owner. I see why it costs more. That said...that is one pricey hand gun!!!

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willie5566
Your last $1000!?!?!?!? How much is your 9mm????

I just googled and while I could not find prices it appears the gun is custom made for each owner. I see why it costs more. That said...that is one pricey hand gun!!!

Nighthawk has prices right on its site. Talons run roughly $2600 and up MSRP.

Willie5566

Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
Nighthawk has prices right on its site. Talons run roughly $2600 and up MSRP.

wow.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads