• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
That's the most marsupialed respond yet. Wow. Thanks for keeping why I tend to ignore your posts.

And the reference to all the Spurs' titles being marked with an asterisk was....

Originally Posted by jet
Hmm ya, asterisk next to their championships would be appropriate.

seriously

How many times I gotta tell you that barney doesn't watch basketball nor is he even a spurs fan just look at last year's thread
lol8[1].gif

Please enlighten me- what posts in that thread indicated I wasn't a Spurs fan?

As I stated before, I don't watch basketball because I can't. Instead of parking my over-coutured ass on a vintage couch sipping chardonnay, I'm doing some real adult ****. Like raising a kid. For instance- couldn't see the Spurs lose to the Bulls (not the Cavs or Bobcats). There was homework. And cooking dinner. And bath time.

The Spurs were lucky to make the playoffs last year. Although they did manage to take out Dallas in the first round (no mean feat considering Dallas was seeded #2). They're A LOT better this year. And the Lakers are worse. Not by as much, but we'll see as the season goes on.

I love how all you Lakers fans keep jumping all over me because I don't join the frenzy of fellation.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
And the reference to all the Spurs' titles being marked with an asterisk was....

All? I mentioned it once, as a joke.
But you, you hold a grudge against Kobe longer than Denver.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, Reggie Miller didn't even make it to the final list for HOF vote getters.

sunror

Reaction score
if playoffs started today, lakers would have to win three straight seven game series w/o homecourt advantage to grab the title. considering they barely won the finals at home last year, almost certainly wouldn't have won the series w/o hc advantage, and are playing themselves out of hc advantage this year, there's basically no chance they'll repeat

still have the best talent in the league (except miami, but i think the lakers' size equalizes that), i'd still take them in an individual series against both dallas and san antonio (not impressed with either) even without home court, but they're not gonna win three straight series, or even two straight series, without the home benefit (when's the last champ that won three w/o hc? 95 rockets? not even them?)

agreed that the 'real' season for the lakers starts in the playoffs, that they're barely trying now, but by losing now they've stacked the odds against themselves too high. if they somehow manage to win it'll be reallly impressive but i see no reason to think they will

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for al blake griffin fans this one is the bestest:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
All? I mentioned it once, as a joke.
But you, you hold a grudge against Kobe longer than Denver.

But you know this.

And at least half the time I'm joking about it as well. And everything else I say about the Lakers in this thread. No One who's a fan of any team will ever be objective.

That being said, you guys are ignoring the decline in the Lakers, and the rise of Miami and San Antonio. And the consistency of Boston. Someone other than the Lakers will win this year, Just be ready...Have a purple and gold crying towel or a bottle of Jack handy....(Do they sell Jack in LA or just watered down boat drinks?)

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sunror
if playoffs started today, lakers would have to win three straight seven game series w/o homecourt advantage to grab the title. considering they barely won the finals at home last year, almost certainly wouldn't have won the series w/o hc advantage, and are playing themselves out of hc advantage this year, there's basically no chance they'll repeat

still have the best talent in the league (except miami, but i think the lakers' size equalizes that), i'd still take them in an individual series against both dallas and san antonio (not impressed with either) even without home court, but they're not gonna win three straight series, or even two straight series, without the home benefit (when's the last champ that won three w/o hc? 95 rockets? not even them?)

agreed that the 'real' season for the lakers starts in the playoffs, that they're barely trying now, but by losing now they've stacked the odds against themselves too high. if they somehow manage to win it'll be reallly impressive but i see no reason to think they will

Well, that's assuming they would have to go through both SA and DAL and then face either the Heat or Boston in the finals. There are a lot of iterations in which one of those higher seeded teams loose to a lower ranked team in which case the Lakers might have home court for some of those series. Plus the seasons only half over. Lets see how SA holds up, if DAL pulls their choke job, or if Boston or the Heat blow up.
They are still w/o question the team to beat.

Of course the surging Dubs are going to play spoiler so ya'all best watch out.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^yep, not worried

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
That being said, you guys are ignoring the decline in the Lakers, and the rise of Miami and San Antonio. And the consistency of Boston. Someone other than the Lakers will win this year, Just be ready...Have a purple and gold crying towel or a bottle of Jack handy....(Do they sell Jack in LA or just watered down boat drinks?)

Rise of Miami? They got 2 Superstars and 1 Star in the team, they better be much better than last year. But they really haven't even matched the expectations. This is a team every sport analyst believe to take the chip this year yet they can't beat the Celtics, how are they going to get to the Finals? The Clips have beaten more top tier teams than them.

Spurs, I give you that, they're doing better than expected but I don't get how you can guarantee the Lakers won't win a chip already? You like reading and believing sport writers, most of them still has the Lakers picked to win so why are you agreeing with everything they put out but choose to ignore this simple fact? A lot of articles doubting the Lakers and their decline, that happens every time they lose.

I'm not going to say I am happy with the Lakers' record but they're far from hitting rock bottom. Almost anything that has to do with the Lakers are over emphasized, blown out of proportion and being a former Laker fan, you should know this. Their the defending champs, outside of Melo-drama and since Lebron actually shut his mouth for a while, the Lakers are the second biggest story in the league right now. You know this... you should know this.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Never seen someone get defecated on so many times
lol8[1].gif

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Of course the surging Dubs are going to play spoiler so ya'all best watch out.

+1 lol

But honestly I don't see the Dubs beating a San Antonio or Laker team in a series and I'm being optimistic. Hopefully they can do something with this 3 game win streak against okc,no,utah and come out of the break and get back to above .500.

LGW!!

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
Well, it's a real rumor on Bleacher Report
oxymoron dude. bleacher report is not to believed under any circumstance.
Rise of Miami? They got 2 Superstars and 1 Star in the team, they better be much better than last year. But they really haven't even matched the expectations. This is a team every sport analyst believe to take the chip this year yet they can't beat the Celtics, how are they going to get to the Finals? The Clips have beaten more top tier teams than them.

Spurs, I give you that, they're doing better than expected but I don't get how you can guarantee the Lakers won't win a chip already? You like reading and believing sport writers, most of them still has the Lakers picked to win so why are you agreeing with everything they put out but choose to ignore this simple fact? A lot of articles doubting the Lakers and their decline, that happens every time they lose.

I'm a big detractor of how important the "record against elite teams" is. Miami was flat out AWFUL in the Wade+ Shaq year, but they still won the title. From Basketball Reference:
In other words, knowing how a team performed vs. elite teams actually tells you less about who wins a playoff series than a team's record against all teams, even non-elite teams. Team records vs. the cream of the crop certainly sound meaningful, but when it comes to predicting success or failure in the playoffs, you'd be better off knowing how they did against the entire league.
Spurs have been playing phenomenally, but who knows how their method where everyone contributes and runs a bit is gonna work in the playoffs? Predictions are gonna be difficult to make until it happens.

Brogued

Reaction score
"In other words, knowing how a team performed vs. elite teams actually tells you less about who wins a playoff series than a team's record against all teams, even non-elite teams. Team records vs. the cream of the crop certainly sound meaningful, but when it comes to predicting success or failure in the playoffs, you'd be better off knowing how they did against the entire league."

There's truth to that. Getting up for one big game is a lot different than staying up for a seven game series.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads