• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ******* Modern Family never ********

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Also, agree with SField on the puritanism in general. American cultural attitudes toward sex, swearing, drinking, etc., are annoyingly backward.

Hannerhan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
O please are you ******* kidding? ABC would not have the balls to show gay men being intimate on a family show. A significant portion of this country takes issue with homosexuals, so much so that they believe law makers should be able to continue to grant them less rights than straight people.

And I think network television offerings are a FANTASTIC representation of a country's attitudes and social prejudices. You don't see the same puritanism in the UK or even Canada. It's just a fact.

I don't see how my response disagreed with anything you're saying here.

sunror

Reaction score
no need to gross out your audience plus how much making out and what have you is on sitcoms anyway? i guess i don't watch any but curb your enthusiasm, i cant even think of a hetero scene, maybe seinfeld ep where elaine is drugged

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love America but I will not deny that in social issues, I believe it's one of the most repressed, backwards countries in the G-20. I think it's one of the only developed countries where you can't swear on network tv. I mean come on, get the **** over it.

Just remember that these decisions are the network's, not the government's. For all the posturing the FCC does regarding this issue, they've been very inactive. There is swearing on network TV and has been for twenty years. There's also been nudity. It's not glaring, in-your-face nudity, but it's been there. Rarely has the FCC actually done anything about it. The networks are making business decisions.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gays ********** doesn't make for good ratings in any country, I would imagine. Unless they are attractive females, anyway.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
count your lucky stars OP.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
It has nothing to do with being behind. I'm as pro gay rights as one can get and seeing two guys kiss just evokes an "Ewww" reaction from me. It's like seeing fat (hetero)people kiss.

Dogg did you see Milk? It made gay makeouts look like a fun way to spend an evening if you're so inclined.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love America but I will not deny that in social issues, I believe it's one of the most repressed, backwards countries in the G-20. I think it's one of the only developed countries where you can't swear on network tv. I mean come on, get the **** over it.
I think you are wrong here. Unless you are going to equate the UK with London, France with Paris etc, you will find that the backwardness of most of these countries is staggering. It just so happens that our population distributions are different, and fewer people in the US live in the more "advanced" urban areas.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
is everyone disappointed that they don't show that fatso getting pegged?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I wonder how much of the lack of man kissing is due to that "eww" factor as perceived by the network for a family show.

after all, it does show two gay men raising an adopted child. This alone gets people all bothered and hot.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I think you are wrong here. Unless you are going to equate the UK with London, France with Paris etc, you will find that the backwardness of most of these countries is staggering. It just so happens that our population distributions are different, and fewer people in the US live in the more "advanced" urban areas.

Yeah but faggots kissing on tv wouldn't be a big deal compared to the US. I happen to think people from the UK are all inbred barbarians but still...

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sunror
no need to gross out your audience plus how much making out and what have you is on sitcoms anyway? i guess i don't watch any but curb your enthusiasm, i cant even think of a hetero scene, maybe seinfeld ep where elaine is drugged

IIRC, there are scenes in which people are lying in bed, going to bed or talking about bed (moves) in Seinfeld.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe they're waiting 'till marriage.

(zing)

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Why does it bother you so much, or at least make you so uncomfortable? Gay people manage to watch plenty of strait people's kissing on TV, and doing a whole lot more in movies. They don't seem to be too bothered by it.

So I have to feel comfortable watching gay people kiss because they see a lot of hetero's kiss? That's an odd sense of fairness.

If a gay man ever told me that hetero kissing and sex grossed him out I wouldn't manufacture offence over it. I'd bet that a majority of guys who are not biggoted, and are not against gay rights have the same eww reaction that I have. I voted no on Prop 8 and I had to look away at some scenes in Brokeback Mountain, so sue me.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
So I have to feel comfortable watching gay people kiss because they see a lot of hetero's kiss? That's an odd sense of fairness.

No, that's not what I said. You missed the point by a mile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads