• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Teacher Thread

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I assume you heard about this.
frown.gif

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...icals_say.html

Summary: NYC will ax 4666 teachers(1/12).

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^That's an insane amount of teachers. Same thing is happening to some teacher's I know in Philadelphia.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never taught elementary or secondary, so I really can't contribute to this thread from the teacher's point of view. (Plus, I'm one of the dreaded ADMIN now!) However, all three of my kids are going through our public schools, and for the most part, our experiences have been very positive. Sure there are lazy or incompetent teachers out there, and I'd agree that there aren't enough great ones, but that's also true of mechanics, doctors, sales clerks, and so forth.

Second, and this may be a district-by-district thing, we've found that the various schools our kids have attended have encouraged artistic and intellectual creativity as much as can probably be reasonably allowed in a public school setting. My fifth-grade daughter is just now finishing her team's "roller coaster," a series of tubes and trackways the student teams design and build that send marbles along complicated pathways. The purpose is for the students to use and understand basic concepts of physics. Different parts of the contraptions are labeled with "inertia," "potential energy," "kinetic energy," etc. I'm sure the teacher had to help them out, but each one is vastly different. We got to see demonstrations the other day.

Of course, we don't live in an enormous city with serious budget problems, and since this thread is about teachers and not schools/school districts, it really would be a disservice to focus on that. Budgets aside, most teachers have great hearts and try their best. They go into it for the love of seeing others succeed, not for the money (God knows) or the prestige (ha!).

Chico2007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
frown.gif

I love when politicians argue that cutting teachers is a good way to meet the budget and/or save tax payers money.
How about taking a look at all these worthless assemblymen and congress members in New York? An assemblyman in NY gets $79,500 a year..and they complain they haven't gotten a raise in years. But they don't talk about the $5,000 for every little committee they are on, or the $40,000 a year they charge in personal expenses.
And people complain about teachers "only working 9 months a year"...you ever see the schedule of the NYS legislature? What a joke.
Want to save tax payers money and make budget? Get rid of the looters and moochers!

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
frown.gif

I'll believe it when I see it.

While I do recognize some of the good things that Bloomberg's focus on reforming education has brought, he continues to politicize the issue, which does no one any good.

His logic for stipping the Board of Education down is that it was full of cronyism and wasn't able to be changed by the people...look at his system now, with perhaps even more cronyism, and where the people have less of a voice, and when they do raise it, he calls them embarrasments. "What is this a Democracy?" were his exact words I believe.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So lets see if you guys can figure it out...this is what my kids have been working on while they ate the past few days:
IMG_3870.jpg

IMG_3871.jpg

The kids were given the three documents and asked to find out how they were connected and what government agency's files these were all found in. Once they figured that out, they were given further information and further questions. Once someone gets how they're connected and what agency they're from, I'll post the next level of questions.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all the politics and moaning about bad teachers, I still feel like we're going through a revolution and maybe even the first stages of a renaissance in educational philosophy, pedagogy and technology.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBrown85
With all the politics and moaning about bad teachers, I still feel like we're going through a revolution and maybe even the first stages of a renaissance in educational philosophy, pedagogy and technology.
Yeah, in Canada maybe.
plain.gif

Dinhilion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
My first year on the job - provisional teaching license after doing the alternative certification programme in Texas. I do economics, US government and history at a public high school with an 'international' focus. I also run the first aid, Amnesty International and UN clubs as well as assist with sports.

So far, I really enjoy it!
biggrin.gif

How was your experience with Alt cert? I'm in dallas considering going that direction.

KenRose

Reaction score
I find the actual teaching very rewarding however if I had it over I would choose another profession, and I don't recommend it for people coming out for a number of reasons: - The Anti Teacher crowd is just too much to take sometimes. It doesn't seem to matter what the issue is, "all teachers are lazy, me first, ungrateful, bla bla bla". - Yes, teachers have the summers off. In Canada the kids are out for about 10 weeks per year. However, I work 80 hours a week during my 12 week track season, and about 50 to 60 hours when I'm not coaching track, so I feel that the time off is justified. It's pretty killer towards your personal life and health though. And by June 30 you are so tired that you need the break. There were a few times late August I'm starting a new school year and still feeling tired. That is not a good start. I'm pretty fortunate that almost all the kids like me a lot. I think this is because I have a pretty good sense of humor with them and I see them as individuals. I know, that's a clique, but it's true. If one takes an interest in each kid, and tries to be nice to them, it is REALLY hard for a kid to try and be uncooperative. I went into teaching for a couple reasons. Both my parents were teachers and I saw how they changed lives. Also, I had some teachers make a real impact to my self asteem in high school and I suppose I wanted to be like them a bit. Like I said, the profession really is rewarding. Nothing like helping a kid become an adult. But if you're going into teaching cause you think you'll have free time, (assuming you become a good teacher) then you are better off with another career.
Originally Posted by pseudonym
Sorry to throw things on the off-topic train here, but I just had a couple of questions. I've an undergrad business student, and I've been having mixed thoughts about careers. Teacher was on my list for quite a while, so any help would be gladly appreciated. 1.) Do you enjoy your job? (simple question, but I get a ton of mixed answers when asking my teachers) 2.) What parts do/don't you like about it? How do you deal with kids who don't exactly cooperate? 3.) What made you want to jump into the teaching field? Thanks.

Chico2007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
So lets see if you guys can figure it out...this is what my kids have been working on while they ate the past few days:
IMG_3870.jpg
IMG_3871.jpg
The kids were given the three documents and asked to find out how they were connected and what government agency's files these were all found in. Once they figured that out, they were given further information and further questions. Once someone gets how they're connected and what agency they're from, I'll post the next level of questions.

Mr. Pietropinto has received a letter from his Mother stating that she is very ill and wishes to see her son before she dies. Mr. Pietropinto has applied for a passport so he can travel to Italy. Perhaps they are from the US passport agency, State Department. I think your students are on the internet looking for answers.
smile.gif
Trying to get a certificate of naturalization for Carmine Pietropinto. Can't blame them.
smile.gif

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chico2007
Mr. Pietropinto has received a letter from his Mother stating that she is very ill and wishes to see her son before she dies. Mr. Pietropinto has applied for a passport so he can travel to Italy. Perhaps they are from the US passport agency, State Department.
I think your students are on the internet looking for answers.
smile.gif
Trying to get a certificate of naturalization for Carmine Pietropinto. Can't blame them.
smile.gif

And they've just found this answer.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would teach high school math after I retire or something of that sort, can't imagine it as a career. It doesn't really pay that well..., though the experience is rewarding for the short time I voluntereed. Also I would like to correct people's perception that math is boring and hard to understand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads