• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Brands (Borsalino v. Stetson v. Makins)

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
You're never too young for a good hat. If it's done well with a good brim and something that suits you, I, personally, think a hat is a wonderful accessory that lets you remain classic while standing out... especially a good hat amongst the what-I'm-wearing-barely-counts-as-a-fedora-in-look-and-not-at-all-in-quality hipster crowd.

Originally Posted by sartorialism
+1. No one will mistake you for a hipster if you wear a quality hat that fits well. They might mistake you for Italian, Jewish, rich or stylish"”but not a hipster.

I think I'll start educating myself about this brimmed hat thing. For now I wear a tweed ivy cap when I need to look presentable.

Felix Krull

Reaction score
You'd be a lot better off, pal, by contacting the Custom Hatter based in Buffalo, NY. He's the guy who did Indiana Jones' fedora. Do a Google search and you'll find him. He made me a custom fedora for me for around $300 and some change about 13 years ago and it fits like a glove. The best part is all I had to do was send them the circumference of my noggin and two pics and he did the rest. If you wear fedoras, you need to deep six the OTR crap and get a custom hat from the custom hatter!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
You'd be a lot better off, pal, by contacting the Custom Hatter based in Buffalo, NY. He's the guy who did Indiana Jones' fedora. Do a Google search and you'll find him. He made me a custom fedora for me for around $300 and some change about 13 years ago and it fits like a glove. The best part is all I had to do was send them the circumference of my noggin and two pics and he did the rest. If you wear fedoras, you need to deep six the OTR crap and get a custom hat from the custom hatter!
The place that made the hats for the latest film is adventurebilt, and the guy (Steve Delk) behind them posts over on the Fedora Lounge. He's got the entire story on his website here. There is a custom guy in Buffalo who's reportedly quite good, but from what I understand, he's not the guy who did the original film hats. But the premium stuff that they made for the film don't come cheap.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But the hats all of you are suggesting are quite pricey relative to these hats!

Never, never take quantity over quality. Save your money and buy one good custom made hat and add more as your budget allows. Borsalinos made before the mid 70s are just as good as most of today's custom made hats. Start with a brown fedora, add a black fedora and then get a good quality panama.

Jim Barns

Reaction score
But the hats all of you are suggesting are quite pricey relative to these hats!

Agreed and are you all not supposed to be giving your opinions on Makin hats instead
plain.gif
?

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred H.
Art Fawcett and Vintage Silhouettes... Art's hats run a little over $300

Again, 300 is above my range. Also, I'm not crazy about most of his models. Although the Jazzman is awesome!

Originally Posted by hatguy
would also consider penman hats which is custom for your head shape/size, felt, ribbon etc.

These are really beautiful. But again, above my range. Especially because I won't order my first hat from the guy long-distance. Maybe if I could get one I could try on, touch, feel, etc., I'd consider it...

Originally Posted by cptjeff
Also, Akubra.

I'm talking about business/dress/sex/style fedoras. Not crocodile-hunter gear!

Originally Posted by mktitsworth
...Peters Bros. Hats.

I don't see pics of their custom hats. Their Borsalino prices are meh...

Originally Posted by Felix Krull
YCustom Hatter based in Buffalo, NY.

Some of these hats are ugly, but some are beautiful. I liked the High Crown, Longhair Gambler (but not IRL"”just stunning in aesthetic type of way), Montecristi (but that all depends on the feel of the straw"”there's no way to judge a straw hat by pics alone), Three-point Diamond, Indie, and the Moonshine.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, 300 is above my range. Also, I'm not crazy about most of his models. Although the Jazzman is awesome!

Art has a few RTW hats that you can just buy, true, but the bulk of his stuff is pure custom. You decide what you want, you don't have to settle for what he has available.

Oh, and as for trying on custom hats- you don't. They (well, at least Art does) send you a purpose made device to measure the shape of your head. it accounts for the exact shape, as well as any bumps and irregularities. Fit wouldn't be a question.

Though I do understand the price range bit- which is why I suggested akubra. Find a model you like, there are plenty available- fedora, ceo, hampton, stylemaster, trilby, whippet are some models I would say to look at, not knowing what's a good fit for your face.

I'm talking about business/dress/sex/style fedoras. Not crocodile-hunter gear!
I do understand the price range bit- which is why I suggested akubra. Find a model you like, there are plenty available- fedora, ceo, hampton, stylemaster, trilby, whippet are some models I would say to look at, not knowing what's a good fit for your face. Or, of course, the Fed IV that so obsesses the Fedora Lounge folk.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

These are really beautiful. But again, above my range. Especially because I won't order my first hat from the guy long-distance. Maybe if I could get one I could try on, touch, feel, etc., I'd consider it...

J.J. Hat Center has a line by Selentino (made in Czech) that are $150. http://www.jjhatcenter.com/madison-b...no-p-2382.html

Should be available on DC somewhere.

lefty

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I promised pics, so here goes. This is my hat collection, excluding one black hat which is currently inaccessible. First up, this is a 100% wool J. Press hat. Mainly for the cold as it doesn't have all that much style. But it aint bad either.
photo6-1.jpg
Next up is my Statson for Brooks Brothers, which I don't love but I kinda like, too. It' rabbit fur.
photo25-1.jpg
This is a vintage Borsalino beaver (?) long-fur fedora. Truly stunning, but it's too small on me, so I'll try flipping it here soon (if you want it, feel free to PM me).
photo9-1.jpg
This here is a rabbit fur Borsalino
photo12-1.jpg
As for Makins... This first one is my favorite. Rabbit fur:
photo22-1.jpg
Photo176.jpg
These are Rabbit as well:
Photo178-1.jpg
photo15.jpg
Photo178.jpg
This one is a wool/fur blend:
Photo179-1.jpg
Now, for Brooks Brothers, I just got this hat last week and I love it. But I can't figure out who makes it for Brooks Brothers (the only tag is BB). It's made in Italy, so it can't be Stetson, but it doesn't look like a Borsalino, either. Suggestions? It's also rabbit fur. It's blue, but the pictures suck so that's hard to discern...
photo3-1.jpg

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, Akubra. If you thought the Stetson was too stiff (I'll probably soften up a fair deal), you won't like them at the start, but I'm told that they really break in. Durable as hell, apparently. And the Fed IV (a special for hatsdirect) is a favorite of the fedora lounge, which I would recommend you spend some time on.

Stetson breaks in really well.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Art has a few RTW hats that you can just buy, true, but the bulk of his stuff is pure custom. You decide what you want, you don't have to settle for what he has available.

Oh, and as for trying on custom hats- you don't. They (well, at least Art does) send you a purpose made device to measure the shape of your head. it accounts for the exact shape, as well as any bumps and irregularities. Fit wouldn't be a question.

Though I do understand the price range bit- which is why I suggested akubra. Find a model you like, there are plenty available- fedora, ceo, hampton, stylemaster, trilby, whippet are some models I would say to look at, not knowing what's a good fit for your face.

I do understand the price range bit- which is why I suggested akubra. Find a model you like, there are plenty available- fedora, ceo, hampton, stylemaster, trilby, whippet are some models I would say to look at, not knowing what's a good fit for your face. Or, of course, the Fed IV that so obsesses the Fedora Lounge folk.

My oval head thanks you for this information.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads