• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ******* Modern Family never ********

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found it strange that Phil and Claire regularly allude to, or are shown having just had sex, and similar suggestions are made with the old dude and the hot Colombian woman... Claire's mom, the oldest daughter Haley **********... but the two gays, which are a major part of the show, are never depicted in a physically intimate moment nor is there ever any sexual suggestion made. They have the most asexual part on the show. I guess america is still quite behind.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
i was of the impression that gays do not have sexual organs hence ********** is impossible.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The kissed once on screen.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I guess america is still quite behind.

Behind what? Let's not start valuing nations based on their network television offerings or else we will all come out losers.

Hannerhan

Reaction score
I found it strange that Phil and Claire regularly allude to, or are shown having just had sex, and similar suggestions are made with the old dude and the hot Colombian woman... Claire's mom, the oldest daughter Haley **********... but the two gays, which are a major part of the show, are never depicted in a physically intimate moment nor is there ever any sexual suggestion made. They have the most asexual part on the show. I guess america is still quite behind.

For one thing, Claire and Gloria are both really hot. Neither of the gay dudes are what people would generally refer to as overly attractive.

That said, I think you're right that it's intentionally avoided. I don't think it means that anyone is behind or ahead...it just is what it is.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hannerhan
For one thing, Claire and Gloria are both really hot. Neither of the gay dudes are what people would generally refer to as overly attractive.

That said, I think you're right that it's intentionally avoided. I don't think it means that anyone is behind or ahead...it just is what it is.

i think two episodes ago where they gheys were arguing about the assistant and who the assistant really had a crush on then the delivery guy in the end...

in a real world scenario there would be hot 3 way gay sex with the assistant and or the delivery boy instead... or thats the way the cable networks depict gay couples right?

so its kinda extreme: (cable TV) on six feet under or the L word the stable gay couple ends up having a threesome. (network tv) they kiss lightly as a couple with no tongue and no one else in the area.

that would make a funny episode though with a kid walking into the gay couples room while the fat one is plowing the thin one.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hannerhan

O please are you ******* kidding? ABC would not have the balls to show gay men being intimate on a family show. A significant portion of this country takes issue with homosexuals, so much so that they believe law makers should be able to continue to grant them less rights than straight people.

And I think network television offerings are a FANTASTIC representation of a country's attitudes and social prejudices. You don't see the same puritanism in the UK or even Canada. It's just a fact.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Behind what? Let's not start valuing nations based on their network television offerings or else we will all come out losers.
I love America but I will not deny that in social issues, I believe it's one of the most repressed, backwards countries in the G-20. I think it's one of the only developed countries where you can't swear on network tv. I mean come on, get the **** over it.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the gay couple to be the most grinding parts of the show at times (and not in that way). We get it. You're gay. They do stereotypically gay-without-being-gay-look-at-us-we're-so-normal things. When they kiss, it's weak too. C'mon, put a little effort in it. Maybe their gayness will be cured in a future episode.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This criticism was levied against the show after the first season; critics asked why they never embraced with anything more than a hug. As a result, they did an entire show called, if I remember correctly, "The Kiss", in which they finally kissed for the first time on screen. The show is slowly progressing. The fact they featured a gay couple is one step. The next was having them kiss. I'm sure by season 5 they'll have done many more things and people will laugh about how they never used to kiss.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love America but I will not deny that in social issues, I believe it's one of the most repressed, backwards countries in the G-20. I think it's one of the only developed countries where you can't swear on network tv. I mean come on, get the **** over it.
When the Sopranos aired in the US, it came under a lot of criticism for excessive violence and swearing (from the public, rather than critics, I should note). When it aired in Canada, the only numerous complaints it received were about the fact Italians were always being portrayed as gangsters. Still, it's slowly changing. We're talking about a country that has a 21 drinking age. It's just different.

Logan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
When the Sopranos aired in the US, it came under a lot of criticism for excessive violence and swearing (from the public, rather than critics, I should note). When it aired in Canada, the only numerous complaints it received were about the fact Italians were always being portrayed as gangsters.

Still, it's slowly changing. We're talking about a country that has a 21 drinking age. It's just different.

I've never understood why people watch a show and then complain. If you don't like what you see, then change the channel. No one is forcing you to watch it. I can understand about the Italians being portrayed as gangsters, but the violence? Come on.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sounds like you guys just wont be satisfied until we get full man on man love making. Considering that, your expectations might be a little high for American network TV. Try the local dirty video store.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess america is still quite behind.

It has nothing to do with being behind. I'm as pro gay rights as one can get and seeing two guys kiss just evokes an "Ewww" reaction from me. It's like seeing fat (hetero)people kiss.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
It has nothing to do with being behind. I'm as pro gay rights as one can get and seeing two guys kiss just evokes an "Ewww" reaction from me. It's like seeing fat (hetero)people kiss.
Why does it bother you so much, or at least make you so uncomfortable? Gay people manage to watch plenty of strait people's kissing on TV, and doing a whole lot more in movies. They don't seem to be too bothered by it. Personally, I don't blame the show for not being ballsy enough. The show is pretty freaking progressive by network TV standards, and I think it should be applauded for going as far as it does. The country is not ready to see homosexuals' being intimate (or alluding to it) on network TV, and ABC would be picketed and boycotted by a great many people if it tried to go there. That's unfortunate, but true. Our country has a long way to go on social acceptance of homosexuality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads