• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Simon Radash

Reaction score
Anybody knows how much a suit might cost to be shipped from the US to India?

And which are the shops online of course that have the best shipping prices on international shipping?

I have been wanting to buy a suit but my only problem now is the shipping issue. Most of the time certain shops don't even ship internationally.

All help will be more than appreciated.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Both are great shoes but I thought JLP was a bit more stylish

Hmm, you can't really compare them since JL St. James is a bespoke shoemaker only, so their styling depends on their customers.

Simon Radash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
The knit ties I've seen tend to be shorter in the first place. Also, vintage ties are shorter as a whole due to several factors- one, people weren't such fatasses. You didn't need the extra length to fit around a 19" neck and drape over a spare tire. Second, the rise on trousers was higher, so you needed less tie to come to the right length right at the waistband.

awesome explanation. I did not know any of that or maybe did but did not know of it i that sense.
worship.gif

Jim Barns

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simon Radash
Anybody knows how much a suit might cost to be shipped from the US to India?

And which are the shops online of course that have the best shipping prices on international shipping?

I have been wanting to buy a suit but my only problem now is the shipping issue. Most of the time certain shops don't even ship internationally.

All help will be more than appreciated.

I think you can get a suit shipped from the US to India at about $70-$100.

But it all depends. You can always decide if a suit is worth buying to be shipped depending on the shipping price. As different shops do offer different shipping prices and options.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simon Radash
awesome explanation. I did not know any of that or maybe did but did not know of it i that sense.
worship.gif

As a short, slim guy, it's something I've had trouble with. You tend to remember the things that piss you off every time you want to pick out a tie.

Jim Barns

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
As a short, slim guy, it's something I've had trouble with. You tend to remember the things that piss you off every time you want to pick out a tie.

OK so what other lesson or lecture can you give that has to do with the experiences from a short slim guy?
nest.gif

Dinhilion

Reaction score
Can anyone provide a link that is a good primer on suit quality? I am looking for a good set of instructions on how to recognize a quality suit. I understand basic fit parameters but am trying to identify quality construction.

rainzack

Reaction score
Just got a pair of Grenson Stanley from a friend yesterday. Plan to wear them with jeans. The material of the shoes are said to be Calf-Waxy on Grenson's website.

http://www.grenson.co.uk/shop/stanley-301

Have no experience with this kind of shoes, should i polish the shoes with shoes polish? wax? Or simply brush them after wearing?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jim Barns
OK so what other lesson or lecture can you give that has to do with the experiences from a short slim guy?
nest.gif

Designers are ******* assholes.

Vanity sizing hurts people. Real people.

A size small should not fit like a goddamned tent.

It would not kill stores to actually stock small sizes.

There are people out there who still have 14.5 necks.

There are actually people who wear shoe sizes above a 2 and below an 8.

ect... If you're a smaller guy, you know the drill.

pstoller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jim Barns

In addition to Jeff's list, there's a real shortage of quality RTW items for shorter men, esp. jackets. Ties can be shortened, and so can shirt sleeves, but jackets really need to be cut short to start. This means a greater dependence on MTM and bespoke tailoring. On the minus side, it costs a lot more than OTR. On the plus side, short men often look nattier.

A more general point: designers (for men and women) tend to design for, and display on, an idealized physique that few real people have. The further you stray from the designer's ideal, the less likely it is that their looks are going to look right on you, and the more you need to focus on what you know flatters your form as opposed to current trends. I know that should be obvious to everyone, but you only need to look around a bit to see that it isn't.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan
I was reading the description of this briefcase:

http://www.lotuffclegg.com/products/...Briefcase.html

And it says, "handcuff for security optional."

Forreal? Are they talking about police-style handcuffs, or...? I have never heard of this before, except for the president carrying a nuclear device on his arm.

No notforreal. This is advertising copy. It is meant to evoke images of suave spies and secret agents delivering secret Nazi codes to the Allies on a foggy London street.

slimjohnson13

Reaction score
Is there boot out there like the Alden Indy boot that I should check out but doesn't cost $400-$450? Thanks!

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinhilion
Can anyone provide a link that is a good primer on suit quality? I am looking for a good set of instructions on how to recognize a quality suit. I understand basic fit parameters but am trying to identify quality construction.
Do a search here on "construction" in the thread title and you'll find lots of threads on jacket and trouser construction and what comprises quality. It's a rare occurrence, but there's a good thread on jacket construction at AAAC that can be accessed here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads