• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Strands $265 Good Deal?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Broadus
I would do something like that to protect the soles. Leather soles and water are not a good combination.

BTW, my Lombards came in today and look really good.

IMG_1468.JPG

Suggestions? And those look awesome. It will be hard to resist not buying one. Hmm I have until the 20th I believe, they went for $130 something tempting. The burgandy Lombards and the Walnut Strands are like comparing apples and oranges. I see the Lombards beeing more traditonal dress shoes whereas the walnut strands are a more fashionable statement when wearing them with suits.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imhoff
Strands for 187.... very tempting to pull trigger on these......

Anyone know how they fit vs Park Aves? I have Park Aves and wanted to know the difference between lasts are.

same #5 last...

Broadus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
Suggestions? And those look awesome. It will be hard to resist not buying one. Hmm I have until the 20th I believe, they went for $130 something tempting. The burgandy Lombards and the Walnut Strands are like comparing apples and oranges. I see the Lombards beeing more traditonal dress shoes whereas the walnut strands are a more fashionable statement when wearing them with suits.
The sale runs through the 21st. These burgundy Lombards are hard to beat for $139, IMO. The burgundy color is really versatile and the shoes are quite comfortable. The Lombard is one of the better discounted shoes for the sale, retailing for $285. By comparison, the Strand retails for $295 and is on sale for $187.20. Of course, the Strand is one of the most popular AE shoe.
Originally Posted by Imhoff
Strands for 187.... very tempting to pull trigger on these...... Anyone know how they fit vs Park Aves? I have Park Aves and wanted to know the difference between lasts are.
While they are built on the same last-5 as the PA's, the Strands fit me just a bit better than the PA's, being not quite as snug against the outside of the base of the fifth metatarsal bone (I hope I have that right--I had to look it up
smile.gif
). The PA's fit well and I think a few more wearings will break them in and they will feel better. The Strands fit almost the same, without the pressure on the outside mid-section of the foot. And, too, the difference in feel may as likely be the difference in two pairs of shoes, regardless of whether they are built on the same last or are even the same model. The one thing about ordering Strand seconds, or any shoe which has darker stitching than the color of the leather upper, is to emphasize that the stitching needs to look good. Blemished stitching that would remain unnoticeable on a dark shoe is easily seen on a lighter shoe.

Hadrian

Reaction score
If I am able to purchase Strands (1st quality) at Nordstroms for ~$210 would it be better to go with that or should I save the extra cash and get the seconds? I am not extremely strapped for cash at the moment, but I still recognize the value of the dollar.

phailing101

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hadrian
If I am able to purchase Strands (1st quality) at Nordstroms for ~$210 would it be better to go with that or should I save the extra cash and get the seconds? I am not extremely strapped for cash at the moment, but I still recognize the value of the dollar.

That's a really good price at Nordstroms......you can't go wrong either way.

Broadus

Reaction score
I would prefer the 1st quality at Nordstroms for around $210. Is this a sale going on now or one you anticipate? When you order seconds, there is usually something that drops it from a first. To me, $20 is worth having 1st quality. I realize that you can get seconds and have difficulty finding the blemish, but you never know. My Strands seconds are going back and I am sure I have to pay return shipping. With firsts, you don't have to worry about that. However, I don't know of a good sale on Strand firsts, so the $187 price is attractive. I also don't have a Nordstroms within two hours, but I would gladly order firsts online from them for $210.

Hadrian

Reaction score
I would prefer the 1st quality at Nordstroms for around $210. Is this a sale going on now or one you anticipate?

It's a deal that I am able to get through employee discount from a friend. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a deal that I am able to get through employee discount from a friend. Thanks for the advice.

great answer..it's all about the connections..and don't forget the shoe tree
smile.gif

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So should I resole my J&M's for $65 or buy a pair of the Lombards?

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am thinking of getting the Lombard in Burgundy myself...
decisions.gif
...so I say help our economy and buy the Lombard .....

smile.gif

Broadus

Reaction score

How nice are the J&M's? What kind of shape are the uppers? With the Lombards, you get quality new shoes for a little over twice the price of resoling the J&M's.

I had a pair of J&M tassel loafers that I recently donated to the local thrift store. I had worn them once a week for about four years, but the leather was starting to split on the side. It wasn't worth having them reheeled, much less resoled. Yours may be in better shape, though.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How nice are the J&M's? What kind of shape are the uppers? With the Lombards, you get quality new shoes for a little over twice the price of resoling the J&M's.

I had a pair of J&M tassel loafers that I recently donated to the local thrift store. I had worn them once a week for about four years, but the leather was starting to split on the side. It wasn't worth having them reheeled, much less resoled. Yours may be in better shape, though.

Same situation for me. The leather is starting to split, however they are my work shoes and I work in a tough environment so be worth it. I'm going to wait a few days and see what I can get from seconds.

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/produc...&search=dobson

Broadus

Reaction score
Same situation for me. The leather is starting to split, however they are my work shoes and I work in a tough environment so be worth it. I'm going to wait a few days and see what I can get from seconds. http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/produc...&search=dobson
For a work shoe, especially with khakis, the San Marco looks like a good shoe. Seconds are deeply discounted to $99 at the Shoe Bank sale, making it a great buy. Whatever you wear, you'll get a lot more life out of the shoe by at least alternating pairs, that is, not wearing the same pair each day. If you like the San Marco's, for instance, you could buy a brown and a black pair for $200 total (pretty good on a shoe that retails for $285 a pair), and save your Strands for better occasions. Just a thought.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads