• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
The Shoe Mart kinda pisses me off. I emailed them a question and got no reply. So, they won't get my business...

you need to realize that not all business are set up to handle email nearly as well as they phone calls. meet them half way, give them a call, and Im sure they will help you

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
you need to realize that not all business are set up to handle email nearly as well as they phone calls. meet them half way, give them a call, and Im sure they will help you

If that's the case, they shouldn't put a contact form right on their website:

http://www.theshoemart.com/contact/c-contact.html

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
I have three with a few coming:

Alden-JCrew longwing, dark brown (the gateway shoe)
Alden longwing, #8
Alden unlined suede chukka, tan

On order:
Alden-Leffot longwing, Ravello (spring)
Alden-LSH chukka, chromexcel (summer)

Help me decide for the next pair: Cigar PTB or Cigar NST?

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Help me decide for the next pair: Cigar PTB or Cigar NST?

PTB - one of Alden's best but most underated shoes, we've been talking on the board a lot lately about how great these shoes look.

Burra

Reaction score
Having some concerns about my 405 purchase.

I bought them in November from a store (tempted to say who but not sure if I should at this stage, not a regular name on this thread, don't worry) and was told it would be a 12 week wait, as I wanted a 9 EE, and they had to be ordered.

I kept emailing regularly, and was told at the end of December they were being cut, and then mid January that the shoes were on target for delivery in 6 weeks (next week).

Now I have asked again, and there is a 6-8 week delay. First I was told by the shop that it was due to a leather shortage. I questioned that based on the previous emails, and they came back and said that they asked Alden again, and it was due to the Lasting process taking longer or something.

Apparently it is due to demand etc.

I am pretty pissed off at this stage, as I have never waited so bloody long for a pair of shoes.

Has anyone heard anything, or is this not unusual or what? I am a little concerned, but don't know whether to make a fuss or not. I can't wait for them to turn up, but can't wait another 6-8 weeks either.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Burra
Having some concerns about my 405 purchase.

I bought them in November from a store (tempted to say who but not sure if I should at this stage, not a regular name on this thread, don't worry) and was told it would be a 12 week wait, as I wanted a 9 EE, and they had to be ordered.

I kept emailing regularly, and was told at the end of December they were being cut, and then mid January that the shoes were on target for delivery in 6 weeks (next week).

Now I have asked again, and there is a 6-8 week delay. First I was told by the shop that it was due to a leather shortage. I questioned that based on the previous emails, and they came back and said that they asked Alden again, and it was due to the Lasting process taking longer or something.

Apparently it is due to demand etc.

I am pretty pissed off at this stage, as I have never waited so bloody long for a pair of shoes.

Has anyone heard anything, or is this not unusual or what? I am a little concerned, but don't know whether to make a fuss or not. I can't wait for them to turn up, but can't wait another 6-8 weeks either.

You might see if you can cancel your order. The Alden shop in San Francisco has those in stock right now: http://aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=109

Looks like The Shoe Mart does too: http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._workboot.html

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone wear their Indy's like this?

20110218-deqyac98n183rccpe6rti9fyd6.jpg

It looks cool to me but I tried it and it seem to get a bit too much ankle lift wearing them that way.

This is from JCrew here: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/highlightreel.jsp

dreamtripper

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the NST Tankers in Cigar Shell? If so, any leads on where I might look for a pair would be much appreciated. I need a size 9.5D. Thank you!

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a great experience with Alden fixing the 405 sole separation issue I posted about two months ago. I shipped the boots to them, they resoled them and shipped them back in an Alden box with new laces at no cost to me. Repair looks great and now I just need to get on beating them up so the welt doesn't look so glaringly brand new.

If anyone from Alden reads this, thanks for the great service. I have three pairs of your boots and wish I could afford more.

Pastor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
Help me order tomorrow:

Ravello NST boot, cigar longwing or Ravello chukka?

I have a whiskey nst shoe and a cigar on order, chukkas in cigar and #8, and longwings in whiskey and ravello.

Thoughts?

My vote goes to the Cigar LWB

hpim1792.jpg

By ststegall at 2011-02-17[/IMG]

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
I'm considering the JCrew longwings or Color 8 Cordovan longwings. wondering what people's opinions are on each. Ie. is it worth the extra money for the cordovans? I can only afford one at this time.

I have both, and here's my opinion. The #8 are far better. Totally worth the extra money. The dark brown JCrew is not that interesting. BUT I like having them because sometimes I want to wear the less expensive ones. They are more subtle, less-flashy, because they are not as shiny. So it depends. The #8 seem more dressy and the JCrew brown are more under the radar.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both, and here's my opinion. The #8 are far better. Totally worth the extra money. The dark brown JCrew is not that interesting. BUT I like having them because sometimes I want to wear the less expensive ones. They are more subtle, less-flashy, because they are not as shiny. So it depends. The #8 seem more dressy and the JCrew brown are more under the radar.

Thanks for the input, makes sense. I don't have any Cordovan shoes so maybe I should spring for them. The cap toe #8 boots look pretty good to me too. Decisions decisions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads