• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Mafoofan Help Himself

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
I would start a bit less intense, say jog for half an hour 3 times a week, and STICK WITH IT.

Solid advice. And whatever method you choose, please don't overlook the importance of a proper diet.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Wait -- how about Wii Fit? I'm being serious.

Doesn't Foo have that already? Look where THAT got him.

forStyle

Reaction score

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait -- how about Wii Fit? I'm being serious.

To have that picture saved...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Doesn't Foo have that already? Look where THAT got him.
I assume he's not using it. I fear that P90X is going to be equivalent of taking someone who doesn't know how to swim and tossing him in the deep end. Baby steps first.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Nobody is giving you contradictory advice. All the advice so far has been good and basically has 2 components:

1. Get diet in order. You MUST eat less than you burn. You will not lose weight if you don't run a deficit.

2. Add exercise. Anything is better than sitting on your ass. Walk, jog, swim, do P90X, whatever. Just move.

You MUST do 1. There's no ways about it. You'll be much better off if you also do 2.

If you can't do these two simple items, then it's back to MC to you where you and your cohorts can argue endlessly about Rubinacci and drape.

This is correct & excellent advice.

I'd also recommend getting into a mind set that will keep you on track and the more you see that you're successful, the more you'll want to do. The thing is to start.

Try the Dr Oz Esquire a.m. workout to get going: http://www.esquire.com/the-side/vide...z-workout-0509

good luck

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
5*5, right brah?

Everyday brah then I go home and drink 6 protein shakes with whole milk and 2lb of chicken breast without any flavouring. I'm not gonna recommend it to him. If he doesn't want to put on mass there is no point in resistance training. He should just sprint lots and eat less.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I assume he's not using it. I fear that P90X is going to be equivalent of taking someone who doesn't know how to swim and tossing him in the deep end. Baby steps first.
You know what Foo probably ought to do in conjunction with whatever he winds up doing: post his progress. I do that in the running threads and it gives me a sense of continuity and accountability, plus feedback from more-experienced members.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
You know what Foo probably ought to do in conjunction with whatever he winds up doing: post his progress. I do that in the running threads and it gives me a sense of continuity and accountability, plus feedback from more-experienced members.

He needs to get started before he can post progress, of course. I hope I am wrong, but I sense this is going to be as successful as Conne's periodic attempts at physical fitness.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just started P90x and can recommend it. Foo, it looks like you need something structured and already laid out. Follow the videos, and you don't have to come up with your own work out, nor will anyone posting in this thread have to come up with one for you.

You being a n00b, I don't suggest you actually do the 6-day a week program. If I were you, familiarize yourself with the movements in the various DVDs, do it 3-4 times a week (picking what work outs you feel like doing) and don't actually do as many reps as the people in the vidoes. Yah sure the chicks in the video will make you look like a *****, but you have an excuse - they've been working out, while you've been spending the time thinking of what fabric to make your new Rubinacci suit out of.

After a few weeks of acclimating to using muscles you've probably never used in your life, gaining some self-confidence about exercise, and hopefully some motivation, you can actually start on the program as it is intended.

And of course, eat better.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are getting a lot of different advice because honestly anything works for a soft, flabby du. Decide what you want to DO, not what you want to look like. Do you want to run cause it's fun to run outside? Do you want to lift weights because it's fun to watch numbers go up? Do you like swimming / biking / rowing? If you think jumping jacks are awesome, buy Insanity. If you think pushups are the ****, buy p90x.

Personally, I hate jumping jacks, swimming, biking, rowing, and push ups, but I like being outside and I like personal records in the weight room. Solution - 5k jogs when the weather is nice and a weight room in my gym.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would encourage you to join a gym, for the motivational factor and to stave off the inevitable boredom that comes with working out at home. If you can develop the habit of just showing up 3 times a week--and 3 workouts is plenty--it will pay dividends the rest of your years. You'll feel better, and it will have nothing to do with losing .5" of bellyfat.

For guys who spend 12+ hours at the office, this is even more important. Sitting around for that length of time is so far removed from the conditions the human body evolved to operate in...you need to add in activity just return to a homeostatic state. There is a growing body of research that directly links prolonged sitting to bad health outcomes, controlling for all other variables.

A place like Equinox has very nice showers and changerooms, so you could it directly before or after work 2 days a week and hit your other gym day on Sunday.

I don't think much of the methods of trainers at commercial gyms, but I can see how buying a dozen sessions would be great for a guy just starting out. You'll get some programming, education on equipment and form, and a lot of motivation.

Working out at home is not the path to success. 90x is hot, and gets results, but it's not a sustainable program. Who the **** would want to spend the rest of their life doing endless iterations of those DVDs?

Lemmings

Reaction score
Hey Foo, i've been having pretty good luck with Primal Blueprint fitness - it's a free online fitness ebook. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...print-fitness/ It has some good, basic bodyweight exercises that can be performed at home, and are easily scalable depending on your level of ability. (Pg 34 -56) You probably wont get the immediate results of something like p90, but it seems like a much easier starting point. It's designed to be easy to maintain too. I would recommend you have a look.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I trimmed down and toned up by cutting my caloric intake by about 15%, light cardio 3/4x per week, and light weight training a couple times a week. When I'm busy I just do pushups every day, but I tend to eat less when I'm busy anyway. I found a great iPhone app to track calories called "tap and track".

Your best bet is to make small changes but stay committed to them. I was shocked by how big an impact those two changes had.

P90 works for big results but it's brutal. No way would I adopt that as a lifestyle.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the **** is P90? Bunch of DVDs telling you what to do and what to eat? Oh ****, what has the world come to? Go out and run for half an hour after work or before work, get some weights at home and spend another 15-20 minutes at night and you can keep in shape.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads