• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wrangler 936DEN "Slim Cowboy Cut"

Goblin

Reaction score
On the 19th, I'll likely be ordering a pair of Grifters from Ande Whall. I'm also thinking of adding a pair of very cheap raw jeans to the rotation.

Does anyone have experience with the Wrangler 936DEN "slim cowboy cut" jeans? If I get these, I'll be clipping off the Wrangler patch. They run about $20, so I'll probably keep them around as a pair of beaters and never wash them, just shitcan them when they start smelling like a bucket of buttholes.

- How high is the rise? Are we talking like "mom jeans" or more like 501s? (Assume that, for me, there's a functional difference.)
- How is the color before washing?
- How is the sizing? My "true" waist size is a 29 or 30.
- Are they cuffable or do they got flarez?

Thanks!

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- How high is the rise? Are we talking like "mom jeans" or more like 501s? (Assume that, for me, there's a functional difference.)
501 type rise i think... a little lower than the 13mwz
- How is the color before washing?
lighter than youre used to. very blue, unlike most of what you see on here that is blackish looking at first.
- How is the sizing? My "true" waist size is a 29 or 30.
wranglers run true to size
- Are they cuffable or do they got flarez?
straight leg... might even have a slight taper ala apc NS

Goblin

Reaction score
cmf, are they worth having or would I be flushing $20 down the toilet?

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
id try them on and if you like the fit tey are worth it. its very hevyweight denim for 20$(14.5 oz), and something different than most have. ive seen some nice wrangler fades... distinct.

let us know what you find out.

Goblin

Reaction score
Cool, may pick them up this week.

You have mail.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did the same thing, but I think I'm probably returning mine to Shepler's. I do think they're pretty solid for the price (espec. denim weight and construction), but to me the rise just looked kind of weird - closer to mom jeans than 501s, imo. I also though the denim color was a bit strange - sort of flecked with whtie, but not in a good way.

I dunno; best thing to do is just order them from Sheplers - they have a really generous return policy.

Edit: Nice call on the Griftaz - mine are awesome. I gambled on the sizing and won big time; the fit is damn near perfect.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a pair, haven´t worn them much yet though, but will when it gets a bit wamer.
Fit is very slim in the seat and tighs, denim is nice, heavy broken twill. Construction is solid all in all. I have´t any problem with the rise really, but kind of wish I´d sized up a size to get more room for movement. maybe theyll stretch more though. They where really tight in the waist when I got them.
The denim colour is rather weird, but interesting. I prefer darker denim though.
wdiwt4.jpg

size 32x36

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you work the can ring in the back pocket.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
I'm wearing a pair of 13MWZ's right now. I think the denim's really nice, along with the back pocket rivet's sail cloth pocket lining, but the color is really off. It starts out as a nice shiny light blue color but as it fades or if you put it through a wash, the color turns real weird. I personally hate it and wish I spent the extra cash for STF's.

prozach1576

Reaction score
I like the fit in that picture, but the color of the denim is bland and cheap looking.

But for $20, you could do a lot worse.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think 936s are crap, the lak of stitiching and the felled seams look really silly, and the color is too wal-mart.

Oh, and they're pretty flare-y.

Spend the extra $10 for 501s.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hehe, that would be a sight.

They might have a very slight bootcut but really its just a slim straight leg. I haven´t really been using them, since the color, tight seat and lack of contrasting stiches really started to weird me out.. Too bad, since the denim and overall fit is pretty cool.

I´ve been thinking of overdying them black, but don´t really know what´ll happen with the raw indigo color...

theshonen8899

Reaction score
The 13 MWZ's are the ones with the slight bootcut I believe. Wranglers have a nice fit and they're really tought compared to 501's, but I do think the color's a bit off. I'm hoping it'll look nice after I fade it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads