• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carol Christian Poell...did I overpay on Ebay?

Rebel4Liberty

Reaction score
OK I need some advice here from the affciandos around here. I just saw a listing for a Carol Christian Poell shirt striking blue 100% polyester for a starting price of 290.00 "buy it now" on Ebay and this listing noted some pulls. I thought this is might be over priced for sure, so I'll make an offer of 200.00.... Hell silk Gucci shirts NWT 200-225, so how in the world can this pre-owned shirt be worth more than a brand new silk Gucci shirt unworn?? Well my offer was rejected and countered for 280.00, and I am like WHAT?! I countered back for 225.00, and it was again rejected for a final offer of 275.00
plain.gif
So I caved in at that point
eh.gif
I am going to link this listing, but WOW I don't think I have paid this much for a shirt pre-owned. NEW certainly, but not pre-owned with pulls!! Some of the most expensive designers, Stefano Ricci, Gerlin, Battaglia, Marol, Ozwald Boateng are what I own in silk shirts, but I am not sure where Carol Christian Poell ranks, what this shirt BRAND NEW would cost and if this was really a fair price for this garment on Ebay. Thanks for any insight

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Rebel4Liberty

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea of what the retail price would have been brand new at the time ?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you paid a lot for a 15 year old worn shirt with snags, made from Polyester.
CCP ranks very high, but not really for these kinds of items (more like his specialty jackets, pants, etc.)
Retail? Probably not as much as you wish, to make your $275 seem like a better deal.

I think you know you paid way too much, which is why you started the thread.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkstone
Agreed
5086.gif

Come to think of it, I don't even know if you'd have paid $275 for this in 1996-97.

Rebel4Liberty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I think you paid a lot for a 15 year old worn shirt with snags, made from Polyester.
CCP ranks very high, but not really for these kinds of items (more like his specialty jackets, pants, etc.)
Retail? Probably not as much as you wish, to make your $275 seem like a better deal.

I think you know you paid way too much, which is why you started the thread.

Well I am not too sure, with such a stubborn seller. There is an Italian seller on ebay who has been listing brand new Gucci silk shirts for 899.00 "buy it now" or best offer (obviously its a place holder at that price) and I have contacted them 4 times. Negotiations started at 275 for the first, then for the 4th went to 175... Good deals! Most times I am able to strike a happy medium when I go to offer, not this one, but yeah maybe most wouldn't pay that, but I like high quality synthetic fabrics/blended and silks and I have not really seen a high quality poly shirt so couldn't let it go. Been reading more about CCP and I am starting to understand though why the seller rejected my offers, with CCP being very limited in production and quantity there must be very few of this piece. I guess it will sorta be like the Dior shirt I bought on there for 200 back in 02-03, and that was expensive for ebay

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you best be trolling

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rebel4Liberty
Well I am not too sure, with such a stubborn seller. There is an Italian seller on ebay who has been listing brand new Gucci silk shirts for 899.00 "buy it now" or best offer (obviously its a place holder at that price) and I have contacted them 4 times. Negotiations started at 275 for the first, then for the 4th went to 175... Good deals! Most times I am able to strike a happy medium when I go to offer, not this one, but yeah maybe most wouldn't pay that, but I like high quality synthetic fabrics/blended and silks and I have not really seen a high quality poly shirt so couldn't let it go. Been reading more about CCP and I am starting to understand though why the seller rejected my offers, with CCP being very limited in production and quantity there must be very few of this piece. I guess it will sorta be like the Dior shirt I bought on there for 200 back in 02-03, and that was expensive for ebay
Hey, whatever it takes to make you feel better about massively overpaying for this shirt... is fine by me! If you like the shirt, then it's worth it for you. Enjoy it and wear in good health.
smile.gif
Nevertheless, I think it's pretty clear YOU think you overpaid, and that SF is telling you that your suspicions were correct.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
The shirt is ugly
CCP mostly sucked in 96-97
it has snags

Yeah sure for recent CCP items that looks interesting you'd pay close to retail but this old shirt should have been relegated to the dustbin of design history.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
The shirt is ugly CCP mostly sucked in 96-97 it has snags Yeah sure for recent CCP items that looks interesting you'd pay close to retail but this old shirt should have been relegated to the dustbin of design history.
Like Helmut Lang, I also think CCP may have done some "cheaper" things for the Japanese market (which is where I found a funny CCP logo tshirt ((yes, a CCP logo tee shirt)) in basically this same color for 2500 yen, and perhaps the same polyester material, from right around the same time ((96-98)).) I have no idea if this is one of those, but I wouldn't be surprised. regardless, as you said, this is not one of his coveted labor-intensive handmade jackets or lovely boots.
smile.gif

Rebel4Liberty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Hey, whatever it takes to make you feel better about massively overpaying for this shirt... is fine by me!

If you like the shirt, then it's worth it. Nevertheless, you DID ask our opinions.

I know CCP; I've had his garments; I like CCP. That being said, I stand by my posts here that this shirt is nothing special. In short: enjoy it and wear in good health.
smile.gif

Just trying to figure out where it RANKS, not really opinions on the shirt its self except for the price vs brand new. I get it! I basically paid for the name in this instance, no matter of quality. I guess I got duped, but yeah you are right, I will still enjoy it. So thanks for your help. It gave me insight, which is what I wanted

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads