• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Mafoofan Help Himself

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Yes. People are giving different, sometimes contradictory, advice. It is literally impossible to agree with everyone.

Nobody is giving you contradictory advice. All the advice so far has been good and basically has 2 components:

1. Get diet in order. You MUST eat less than you burn. You will not lose weight if you don't run a deficit.

2. Add exercise. Anything is better than sitting on your ass. Walk, jog, swim, do P90X, whatever. Just move.

You MUST do 1. There's no ways about it. You'll be much better off if you also do 2.

If you can't do these two simple items, then it's back to MC to you where you and your cohorts can argue endlessly about Rubinacci and drape.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
I agree, don't waste money on unnecessary programs or whatever. If it has to be from home, get a rowing machine (concept 2) or treadmill for aerobic training, and then a pair of dumbbells for weight training. For the weight training, just do as many reps as you can for every given muscle group twice a week.

At your size (and all of us skinny guys) our bodies don't change much whether we're lifting or not, so you don't need to worry about doing exactly the ideal number of reps or whatever. Diet also isn't that important, you can still probably eat whatever you want if you're reliably exercising.

Whatever you do, just stick with it for the initial couple months... after that it becomes second nature and you'll want to do it.

This without a doubt some of the worst advice I've read in the health section. Just because your skinny doesn't mean you can't bulk. I started at 112lb at 6'2" and got to 170lb by lifting so yes you can change your size quite drastically. Diet is more important then exercise. You can't gain muscle if your eating no protein and 1500 calories a day and your not going to loose weight eating heavily above maintenance. If you just want to get lean and your not worried about strength or getting more muscular do HIIT or something very intense. You have unrealistic expectations, 45 minutes of working out in your house for a few months isn't going to do anything in terms of loosing weight or putting on muscle.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jeezus, I'm not an idiot. I understand that diet and exercise are the two key components. The issue is: what kind of exercise? There are obviously many different approaches. I provided my preferences and circumstances to get specific suggestions.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
I agree, don't waste money on unnecessary programs or whatever. If it has to be from home, get a rowing machine (concept 2) or treadmill for aerobic training, and then a pair of dumbbells for weight training. For the weight training, just do as many reps as you can for every given muscle group twice a week.

At your size (and all of us skinny guys) our bodies don't change much whether we're lifting or not, so you don't need to worry about doing exactly the ideal number of reps or whatever. Diet also isn't that important, you can still probably eat whatever you want if you're reliably exercising.

Whatever you do, just stick with it for the initial couple months... after that it becomes second nature and you'll want to do it.

+1 to Fuji's sentiments, this is terrible, absolutely backwards advice.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeezus, I'm not an idiot. I understand that diet and exercise are the two key components. The issue is: what kind of exercise? There are obviously many different approaches. I provided my preferences and circumstances to get specific suggestions.

What people are telling you is that it does not matter. Run, walk, elliptical, treadmill, P90X, bike... surely you can find something, anything that you can do 3 or 4 times a week....

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with working out is that you have to buy a whole new wardrobe if you gain enough muscle. I gained 30 pounds, had to get rid of everything and start again.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
The problem with working out is that you have to buy a whole new wardrobe if you gain enough muscle. I gained 30 pounds, had to get rid of everything and start again.

Well, I don't want to change my shape, other than trimming my waist and stomach. Absolutely do not want to add bulk.

Would P90x work for this?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
What people are telling you is that it does not matter. Run, walk, elliptical, treadmill, P90X, bike... surely you can find something, anything that you can do 3 or 4 times a week....

You'd be right if I had asked "how do I generally get healthier?" But that's not what I asked.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the thing: you can do whatever type of exercise you want. Classical cardio (running, swimming, etc.) will drop calories in the manner that most are aware (you burn calories while you are exercising). HIIT is supposed to be beneficial for fat loss because it supposedly keeps your body burning calories/fat long after you are done exercising. And there is lifting which, if combined with enough protein intake, can increase your basal metabolic rate (more muscle = more mass that needs energy). Therefore, combined with a caloric deficit, you can lift weights and lose fat (and gain muscle). The last one is what I'm doing right now. edit: P90x is used by people to cut, not bulk. Most of the people who do the classical program end up a fitter, "skinnier" (opposed to bulkier) version of themselves. If you want to lose fat and don't want to bulk up too much, and can commit 1-1.5 hours a day 6 days a week to it, then P90x is for you.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think P90X is the wrong place to start. It is intense.

The way you sound, you are not serious about this. You are merely looking for an excuse to quit. And P90X will kick your ass and give you a million excuses to quit.

I would start a bit less intense, say jog for half an hour 3 times a week, and STICK WTIH IT. Once you get into the discipline of actually working out more than once every couple of months, then you can do P90X.

Otherwise, you'll try P90X once and decide that this whole working out thing is not for you.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
The way you sound, you are not serious about this. You are merely looking for an excuse to quit. And P90X will kick your ass and give you a million excuses to quit.

wtf

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everybody in this thread is trying to help you. I am just saying that you might want to start a bit easier than P90X. But hey, knock yourself out....

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, I don't want to change my shape, other than trimming my waist and stomach. Absolutely do not want to add bulk.

Would P90x work for this?

Do HIIT. Fastest way to loose weight there is. P90x will help you put on muscle, if you don't want to put on muscle there isn't really any reason to do resistance training. You can do HIIT in as few as 4 minutes a day, but it is very intense if you do it properly. Its more of a mental thing then a physical thing, theres no requirement of how fast you have to run or how quick you have to do your reps when you do HIIT, but if your not doing it to your full ability, which a lot of untrained people don't then its not gonna work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads