• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Index funds

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the vanguard S&P fund is good stuff. I have been clearing out my position in my roth though...transferring that exposure over to my 401k which can get into a much lower fee fund class than VFINX.

For a small, building investor like conne...ETFs are not really the way to go as the in and out trading fees far outweigh the tiny difference in management fee. A lot of brokerages give you several free mutual fund trades every month (enough to add your monthly few hundred bucks and do a bit of rebalancing) and I can't imagine vanguard charges a fee on contributions...I think they even encourage you to set up direct deposits no matter how small.

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I just initiated a balance transfer to a 0% APR card, so no I'm not paying 20%. The card can be paid off in around 6 months. It doesn't make sense to pull money out of a long-term investment to fix a problem that can be solved in a short time.

from what i understand, you have to pay a small percentage of the balance to get it transferred over. i hope your balance isn't too high.

also, why not look at life cycle funds? vanguard is pretty well known for those.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd probably just keep the wells fargo, buffett is hot on that company and they'll probably start ramping up the dividend again at some point in the next year or two. If BAC is talking about doing that, i'm sure wells isnt far behind.

With your card now at 0% i'd just pay it off and move toward not using credit when not needed.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hannerhan
Sure, but the 20% is GUARANTEED money in the case that was being discussed. And you don't get that in the markets...ever.

Agreed on the guaranteed. Just was pointing out it is possible to score big on an index fund (or index ETF). As I said, I agreed with his sentiment and would pay off CC debt prior to investing.

runner-guy

Reaction score
My entire 401(k) is comprised of index funds except for 10% that I have in the Fidelity Select Gold fund. You really can't go wrong with Vanguard index funds or ETFs. Super low cost. I recently changed 20% of my taxable portfolio to the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund (VTSMX), which is a great fund. The other 80% is in a Vanguard limited-term municipal bond fund.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I'd probably just keep the wells fargo, buffett is hot on that company and they'll probably start ramping up the dividend again at some point in the next year or two. If BAC is talking about doing that, i'm sure wells isnt far behind. With your card now at 0% i'd just pay it off and move toward not using credit when not needed.
I just gave WFC a good look-over at Morningstar and you seem to be right...maybe I'll hang on to it for a few years and just save up for an index fund.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will never beat the index with the index funds. Try a group of select high quality yield stocks.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beckwith
You will never beat the index with the index funds. Try a group of select high quality yield stocks.
Yes, but most people will never beat the index funds by picking stocks.

runner-guy

Reaction score

Yeah? Well about 90% of active fund managers don't beat the index either.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would buy rick jackets if i had 4k lying around... when did people become so reasonable on styleforum???

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

As the saying goes, if it were that easy, we'd all be rich.

I think you just need to implement this tactic: buy low, sell high.
wink.gif

Lowndes

Reaction score
A good book on this subject that I really enjoyed is the Four Pillars of Investing. Might be worth a read if you are interested in index funds.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lowndes
A good book on this subject that I really enjoyed is the Four Pillars of Investing. Might be worth a read if you are interested in index funds.
Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at it over the weekend.

Night Owl

Reaction score
i kept 100% in s&p500 when this noob first learned about it way back

a few years ago i was happy with my s&p500 balance and started contributing everyting into international and sector funds on a wild hare up ******. china and canada index funds came through big time. japan sucked but didnt have much in there anyway! when you put some more dough together dont forget to consider other funds

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics