• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Connecticut or Seattle?

kungapa

Reaction score
Seattle is a city. There isn't a single city in CT however.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seattle is a nice place to visit but overrated unless you are a duck.

Ct is close to NYC, has a classic lifestyle tradition that even if it isn't you could be an enjoyable experience for 2 years.

You are closer to Europe (shorter flights and much cheaper fares). The area has lot of facinating US historical sites. New England has wonderful camping and the coast is ideal for boating.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are going to be anywhere near NYC then it seems like a no-brainer. Go search for the "I hate San Francisco" thread. After reading that, imagine taking away 75% of the positive things people said about SF and multiply the negatives by 10 and you have Seattle.

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
LOL. Ouch.

I should know - I live in the thing closest trying to pretend to be a city there. Meh, at least we are close to New York.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kungapa
I should know - I live in the thing closest trying to pretend to be a city there. Meh, at least we are close to New York.
Bridgeport? You sound miserable. For what it's worth, the absence of any actual "city", by most's definition of the word, isn't necessarily a bad thing. There is definitely an upside of living in a location that isn't a tourist attraction, or home to mass populations of people. And by no means is Connecticut a state without its own attractions, but it generally tends to attract a certain class of people.

computerpro3

Reaction score
Seattle is a city. There isn't a single city in CT however.
Exactly. We have all the culture, fine dining, and incredible shopping without the homeless people and traffic. Plus, pristine coastline with close proximity to Newport, RI, Cape Cod, Nantucket, and Martha's Vineyard. Remind me again why no cities is a bad thing? If you really want to get your plebe on, NYC is just 30min away.....

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Bridgeport? You sound miserable. For what it's worth, the absence of any actual "city", by most's definition of the word, isn't necessarily a bad thing. There is definitely an upside of living in a location that isn't a tourist attraction, or home to mass populations of people. And by no means is Connecticut a state without its own attractions, but it generally tends to attract a certain class of people.
Not Bridgeport - is that a city? I thought it was a minor league baseball stadium with a train station and some decrepit factories attached. I am in New Haven, which thankfully because of Yale has a semblance of culture. But god, sometimes I really miss NYC - I need my urban grit, and New Haven doesn't even come close.

cg35

Reaction score
Not sure why a lot of people are hating on Seattle- yeah it's not the world's best city, but downtown is in pretty great shape, it's a nice size, the job market isn't too bad (Don't know what field OP is in), the housing market is in the hole (time to buy?), and there is a great deal of culture, arts, fashion etc. The weather, while not the best, is actually one of the best climates in the summer. I'd rather have rain than all this NYC snow crap. CT is nice, but New Britain/Hartford is not appealing. It's not very nice, there is no urban center, etc, and the job market is going to be much smaller and thinner than Seattle - and youre far as hell from NYC. No brainer to me.

computerpro3

Reaction score
Not Bridgeport - is that a city? I thought it was a minor league baseball stadium with a train station and some decrepit factories attached. I am in New Haven, which thankfully because of Yale has a semblance of culture. But god, sometimes I really miss NYC - I need my urban grit, and New Haven doesn't even come close.
So you don't have $15 to take the train for a freaking hour to NYC? Hell, if you live in New Haven the train station is 10 minutes tops from where you live. Or if the train's not your thing, it's a 45min limo ride - we took one to go shopping at Madison avenue a while back. Stop trying to complain for the sake of appearing like a "cool big city urbanite." I don't think you get it - people that live in CT live there because we can get all of the benefits of NYC without the downsides. We don't think it's "cool" to live in NYC. Otherwise, we'd all live there - we'd save a few million dollars a year, after all.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived in CT for most of my life, my family is there and I still own property there.

Move to Seattle.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by computerpro3
New Britain isn't so hot.

However, CT as a whole is just an awesome state. Depending on where you live, you can be 30min from NY, 10min from the beach, 30min from Newport, RI, 45min from Boston, 3 hours from Philly, 2.5 hours from some of the best snowmobiling and skiing in the country (vermont), not that far from Kennebunkport, Maine, etc, etc. The Fairfield county and Greenwich area is great to live in - incredible shopping (Richard's alone is amazing and has an in-store Hermes boutique), awesome dining, great libraries, etc. The climate in CT is great, and you have the most beautiful fall in the country, bar none.

That being said, I wouldn't live in New Britain. You need to be precise where you're looking though; there are some very nice areas near there.

NB is a **** hole. As a whole, it is not an awesome state. Your travel timeline description above has people living all over the state - 30 min from NY is greenwich (and 30 min is pushing it), 30 min from Newport is all the way up 95 near the RI border in the ****** SW corner of the state. 45 min from Boston - wtf?? Skiing in VT is far from the best in the country - VT is crowded and cold with small mountains...not bad for a long weekend, but hardly enough for a week. Climate is not great - there is a damn lot of snow in the winter. Fall is beautiful, but I'd hardly pick my location based on how pretty the leaves are.

I'm going to guess that you've been in CT for <10 years.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really think, to a large degree, it is dependent on what kind of person you are, and the lifestyle that you choose to lead. I'm sure Seattle has its advantages, as does Connecticut, but I've been living here for 18+ years, and have travelled the USA, and can confidently say that I enjoy the state of Connecticut like no other. Now, it should also be mentioned that I've had the privilege of growing up in one of the more affluent towns in CT, and would most likely opt for living in Seattle over New Britain any day.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by computerpro3
So you don't have $15 to take the train for a freaking hour to NYC? Hell, if you live in New Haven the train station is 10 minutes tops from where you live. Or if the train's not your thing, it's a 45min limo ride - we took one to go shopping at Madison avenue a while back.

Stop trying to complain for the sake of appearing like a "cool big city urbanite." I don't think you get it - people that live in CT live there because we can get all of the benefits of NYC without the downsides. We don't think it's "cool" to live in NYC. Otherwise, we'd all live there - we'd save a few million dollars a year, after all.

facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads