• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
Help me order tomorrow:

Ravello NST boot, cigar longwing or Ravello chukka?

I have a whiskey nst shoe and a cigar on order, chukkas in cigar and #8, and longwings in whiskey and ravello.

Thoughts?

Wow, that's a tough call. I'm biased to say the Cigar LWB since that's my favorite of the bunch.

Is the NST boot on the Aberdeen last? If that works for you, I would go with that. I believe you have Ravello PTBs as well (saw that a couple of days ago) which kind of makes the Ravello chukkas redundant, no?

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
Wow, that's a tough call. I'm biased to say the Cigar LWB since that's my favorite of the bunch.

Is the NST boot on the Aberdeen last? If that works for you, I would go with that. I believe you have Ravello PTBs as well (saw that a couple of days ago) which kind of makes the Ravello chukkas redundant, no?

Yes, the Ravello boot is Aberdeen, which does work for me. I do have Ravello PTBs, but I am considering Chukkas because I do think they are a different look... been spending too much time today looking a other people's pictures - I agree that cigar looks great as a longwing.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Ravello boot is Aberdeen, which does work for me. I do have Ravello PTBs, but I am considering Chukkas because I do think they are a different look... been spending too much time today looking a other people's pictures - I agree that cigar looks great as a longwing.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three.

Getting this from ShoeMart?

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three.

Getting this from ShoeMart?

Yes, I buy locally from Sherman Bros., but online from ShoeMart for their usual abundance of shell.

I'll bring up their site tomorrow and order whatever strikes me at the time - it's not like it'll be the last pair of shoes I ever buy.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I buy locally from Sherman Bros., but online from ShoeMart for their usual abundance of shell.

I'll bring up their site tomorrow and order whatever strikes me at the time - it's not like it'll be the last pair of shoes I ever buy.

The Shoe Mart kinda pisses me off. I emailed them a question and got no reply. So, they won't get my business...

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Help me order tomorrow:

Ravello NST boot, cigar longwing or Ravello chukka?

I have a whiskey nst shoe and a cigar on order, chukkas in cigar and #8, and longwings in whiskey and ravello.

Thoughts?

I have those three you're considering and I find I wear the longwings the most, then the chukkas, and then the boots. Plus if you get the longwings, you're that much closer to completing the set.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
The Shoe Mart kinda pisses me off. I emailed them a question and got no reply. So, they won't get my business...
I never emailed them, but I have called them a bunch of times. Always good customer service for me. This along with no tax and free shipping are the reasons why I have bought 5 pairs of Alden's from them thus far.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
I never emailed them, but I have called them a bunch of times. Always good customer service for me. This along with no tax and free shipping are the reasons why I have bought 5 pairs of Alden's from them thus far.

Yeah, the no sales tax and free shipping are definite plusses. Maybe I'll call them instead of email.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound

Their email response is terrible, agreed. I've been lucky enough to not have had any major questions or issues. (And if I stop buying from them, my access to shell decreases significantly.)

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
I have those three you're considering and I find I wear the longwings the most, then the chukkas, and then the boots. Plus if you get the longwings, you're that much closer to completing the set.

Zippy,

Thanks for the input, the cigar longwing votes are starting to sway me.

REguy

Reaction score
Burnished Tan Boots w/ Commando Sole

BurnishedTanBoots.jpg

jackdaw

Reaction score
Took delivery of a pr. of dark brown suede NST Aldens last week. The edge of the sole was dressed with really cheesy looking blobby, unevevnly, incompletely applied black paint. I figured the layers of leather in the sole and heel were probably quite handsome so I sanded off the paint and dressed the sole edges with the Fieblings semi-transparent brown edge dressing. An hour of work dressed the shoes up from Wal-Mart to something approaching the $425 Alden wants for them. I figure Alden owes me a $250 stylist's fee. I am also willing to consult on quality control. Alden, call me!!! You need help.

HorseHide

Reaction score
Guys - I just picked up a pair of Christopherson's Creamery Milkman Boots from Blackbird so I'm selling my Alden cap toe boots in black shell cordovan - size 9 B/D. Just posted in B&S.

Beyachad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jackdaw
Took delivery of a pr. of dark brown suede NST Aldens last week. The edge of the sole was dressed with really cheesy looking blobby, unevevnly, incompletely applied black paint. I figured the layers of leather in the sole and heel were probably quite handsome so I sanded off the paint and dressed the sole edges with the Fieblings semi-transparent brown edge dressing. An hour of work dressed the shoes up from Wal-Mart to something approaching the $425 Alden wants for them. I figure Alden owes me a $250 stylist's fee. I am also willing to consult on quality control. Alden, call me!!! You need help.

I would definitely be interested in seeing pictures as I have been contemplating doing this to my #8 lwb, which have a black edge. How did you deal with the black paint on the stitching on the welt?

Alden Cigar Cordovan Chukkas, 8.5D

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=225960

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads