• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2017 MLB Season Thread

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Has there ever been a more dangerous (to a pitcher's health) manager/pitcher combo than Dusty Baker and a guy who throws 105 mph? Seriously, Chapman's arm might literally explode. Literally.

Don't let Nolan Ryan hear this! He thinks pitchers are babied too much as it is, and I agree. Guys don't go for complete games like they use to, LOOGY's are common place, and middle RP self esteem is so low they had to come up with a stat (HOLD) just to give them some worth.

Pitchers, stop crying, also raise the mound.

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Has there ever been a more dangerous (to a pitcher's health) manager/pitcher combo than Dusty Baker and a guy who throws 105 mph? Seriously, Chapman's arm might literally explode. Literally.

That's funny. Cub fans still talk about the fan that got in the way as ruining their chances in '04. I think Baker gets more blame for ruining a young staff that looked like it could dominate for many years.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks like CC could fleece the Yankees for even more money next year... he's got an opt out clause after the 3rd year of this present contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/m...ory?id=6120676

it would make sense especially if the Giants have another great year and want to take on another scary contract... lol ! seriously though zito is coming off the books on 2013 so it makes sense.

CC would probably like to move back home and he doesn't really owe the yankees after winning a WS and actually living up to his present contract. Just the threat of CC leaving will force the yanks to pay/add to the present contract.

he's the best part of the article:

Sabathia, who had knee surgery this offseason, said he is 25 pounds lighter after he stopped eating full boxes of Cap'n Crunch.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeez... Miguel Cabrera DUI, alcohol problems again: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring...ory?id=6131020 crap, this guy is a HOF candidate but with the new media on his back this is bad. the story states he was drinking scotch right from the bottle in front of the police during the arrest. but from an economic/Tigers standpoint, if he puts up good numbers then it might not really matter as long as he produces...

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
Jeez... Miguel Cabrera DUI, alcohol problems again:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring...ory?id=6131020

crap, this guy is a HOF candidate but with the new media on his back this is bad.

but from an economic/Tigers standpoint, if he puts up good numbers then it might not really matter as long as he produces...

Detriot HOF?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wish the Cards and Pujols could have worked something out. Now we're going to hear about this all year long...

With the Yanks, Sox, and Phils already committed at 1B, and the Mets not in financial shape to pay him, is there anyone out there who's going to give him $300 mil? Cubs?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Wish the Cards and Pujols could have worked something out. Now we're going to hear about this all year long...

With the Yanks, Sox, and Phils already committed at 1B, and the Mets not in financial shape to pay him, is there anyone out there who's going to give him $300 mil? Cubs?

O's.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an O's fan, what is the max contract ($s and years) that you would be comfortable with the team giving him?

Also, do you believe he is actually 31?
tinfoil.gif

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg

the yanks will just find a place for him and give him the money.

the redsox have a "handshake deal" with A. Gonzales to be signed after/on opening day (to avoid luxury tax). things could get hairy along the process.

so there are still/escape hatch ways for the big guys to afford him.

i don't understand why the cardinals just didn't offer him something in the range of $300 million thats heavily front loaded (so he earns less than $15M towards the end 5 years of his contract).

maybe the giants make a splurge and get him. they could front load that contract and gamble on his most productive years.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
As an O's fan, what is the max contract ($s and years) that you would be comfortable with the team giving him?

Also, do you believe he is actually 31?
tinfoil.gif

Well, with Lee basically being a 1 year rental we'll have both his little bit Vlad's little bit and Scott's little bit coming off the books. Realistically I would rather make a run at Prince Fielder who I would offer more.

Albert 8 years $200 million

Prince 10 years 240 million

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg

Yeah, that's what I don't get. Pujols insisted on the deadline so that the issue wouldn't be a distraction going forward. But it's obviously going to be huge news until something gets worked out. I live in STL, where it seems like media coverage is all Pujols all the time. I'm already sick of hearing about it. (Although I'm not a Cards fan either.)

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD

i don't understand why the cardinals just didn't offer him something in the range of $300 million thats heavily front loaded (so he earns less than $15M towards the end 5 years of his contract).

Well if you average $15 mil over the final 5 years you have to average $45 mil over the first 5...

Originally Posted by Slopho
Well, with Lee basically being a 1 year rental we'll have both his little bit Vlad's little bit and Scott's little bit coming off the books. Realistically I would rather make a run at Prince Fielder who I would offer more.

Albert 8 years $200 million

Prince 10 years 240 million

I would be terrified of how fat Prince could become 10 years from now.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Well if you average $15 mil over the final 5 years you have to average $45 mil over the first 5...

I would be terrified of how fat Prince could become 10 years from now.

He's fat, but in tiny Camden Yards he may his 60 plus HRs.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any path open for the Phillies to ditch Howard and pick up Pujols? I know ****-all about how baseball contracts/trades work, but that deal would make me a happy guy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads