• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay purchase (Brand New/NWT) not new...

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
Hello,

So I just received in the mail today a shirt I picked up off ebay from a seller with over 2000 positive feedback, and no negative, marked Brand New/NWT in the auction with pictures of the item in some state of packaging (in opened plastic with card board and such around the collar), and yet the shirt is not new... Two of the buttons are chipped, the cuffs have clearly been pressed at a cleaner, no tags to be found despited its NWT description, and I'm not sure if it's the lighting/my eyes but the color under the arms seems slightly off white/yellowish as well.

I really liked the shirt and it fills a whole in my wadrobe, but I'm pretty pissed at the situation. I got it for, what would've been a great price had it actually been NWT, $30 something plus shipping. I'll be messaging the seller, but should I report this, ask for a refund, a discount, etc.?

Ugh, just needed to vent as this is the second of recent purchases to have issues (the other on this forum)...

Jared,

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was he selling other similar items? It might be a shipping error.

Start with the seller see how he reacts.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite - yet another eBay purchase grievance thread for a whole $30!

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont worry too much about it. It is possible the seller made a legitimate mistake - sellers who sell lots of stuff often copy and paste and then edit. It is probable the seller did not edit properly.

Send the seller an email that there has been an error, and take it from there.

Personally, $30 is not much for a decent shirt. If it looks nice, just keep it. I dont think the seller went out to deceive, more likely it was a small cock up on his part - probably he listed a NWT shirt in another auction and used that template for your shirt but forgot to make necessary changes. It happens when a seller lists 100's of goods. If it were a small time seller with only 5/6 auction items, then I have less forgiveness for mess ups.

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Contact the seller. Given the tremendous amount of good feedback (and no negatives!), I'd be inclined to be believe it was an honest mistake.

Maybe the seller will offer you a partial refund or ask you to return for a full refund. It's up to you whether you want to take the seller up on either offer.

If the seller is uncooperative, then you should contact Ebay. However, talk to the seller first, and if feedback is as good as you say, I would expect the seller to make you whole somehow.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The way it was packaged was suspect unless cleaners give you shirts back this way. Cardboard collar stiffener? Sus-pect.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Email the seller, nearly all are willing to make things right. I've gotten a decent number of refunds in the last couple months, mostly for flaws the seller hadn't noticed. Don't accuse them, just note the problem and they'll usually offer a refund. On cheap items like this, the good sellers will just give you a refund (partial to full depending on the magnitude of the problem) and let you keep it, since shipping is a big fraction of the price.

I've gotten several refunds recently, all for flaws that weren't noted in the listing. One, a jacket was missing all the sleeve buttons on one side. Two others, pants showed up with flaws that made them unwearable (horrible stains on the lining, holes in the fabric on wool). All were cheap. under $50, but I'm not going to just hand sellers my money when I can spend ten seconds messaging them and giving them a chance to make things right.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can you ask the seller first before posting this kind of bullshit? forfuxake

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Was he selling other similar items? It might be a shipping error.

Start with the seller see how he reacts.

He sells other clothes, but it's def the shirt.

Originally Posted by teddieriley
My favorite - yet another eBay purchase grievance thread for a whole $30!

Hey now, $40 after the international shipping! THink deeper though, the point is not the money, that's why I asked should I even bother. I'm venting over what seems to be a pretty obvious scam.

Originally Posted by rebel222
Ask the seller.

Does it have the tags attached?

NWOT on eBay is the biggest scam on the internet.

Agree, the whole NWOT thing is a joke, just like "worn just once!" He said it was NWT in the auction, and several more times "Brand New", but no tags to be found...

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Ask the seller. Does it have the tags attached? NWOT on eBay is the biggest scam on the internet.
Yeah, whenever I see something listed as NWOT, I assume it's anywhere from lightly to heavily used. Recently bought an "NWOT" sportcoat on eBay that arrived reeking of smoke and riddled with moth holes the size of knife wounds. I mean, really, seller? Really? And I do raise hell with shady sellers and scammers, whether the price tag is $30 or $3000. The way I see it, if I'm not doing my part to stop these assholes, then I'm doing my part to abet them.

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Dont worry too much about it. It is possible the seller made a legitimate mistake - sellers who sell lots of stuff often copy and paste and then edit. It is probable the seller did not edit properly.

Send the seller an email that there has been an error, and take it from there.

Personally, $30 is not much for a decent shirt. If it looks nice, just keep it. I dont think the seller went out to deceive, more likely it was a small cock up on his part - probably he listed a NWT shirt in another auction and used that template for your shirt but forgot to make necessary changes. It happens when a seller lists 100's of goods. If it were a small time seller with only 5/6 auction items, then I have less forgiveness for mess ups.

Thought about this with the just copying the format from auction to auction, but then there is the issue below...

Originally Posted by NORE
The way it was packaged was suspect unless cleaners give you shirts back this way. Cardboard collar stiffener? Sus-pect.

Yeah, at first thought I just assumed he did it for shipping as it clearly was not Canali's packaging method, but then not the said tags attached and an obviously used (if you look at finer details)shirt have me thinking it was to help further the buyers thoughts that it was new...

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Instant 50% discount!

Now we're talking!
laugh.gif
But I'd prefer a real explanation from him.

Originally Posted by Gibonius
Email the seller, nearly all are willing to make things right. I've gotten a decent number of refunds in the last couple months, mostly for flaws the seller hadn't noticed. Don't accuse them, just note the problem and they'll usually offer a refund. On cheap items like this, the good sellers will just give you a refund (partial to full depending on the magnitude of the problem) and let you keep it, since shipping is a big fraction of the price.

I've gotten several refunds recently, all for flaws that weren't noted in the listing. One, a jacket was missing all the sleeve buttons on one side. Two others, pants showed up with flaws that made them unwearable (horrible stains on the lining, holes in the fabric on wool). All were cheap. under $50, but I'm not going to just hand sellers my money when I can spend ten seconds messaging them and giving them a chance to make things right.

Yeah, my overall debate def had a lot of "should I even bother..." thoughts running through my head. I guess I'm a bit more bothered since this is two in a row (member here sent me a coat that was the wrong damn size!) that are iffy on the "honest mistake" chances. Feedback also seems to be meaning crap as I once received a fake Canali tie from a seller with around 1000 positive feedback...so I was debating whether or not to get into a potential war for the sake of a point, not really the item, if messaging goes bad and whether I/you would in the first place. Hence this little post on a discussion forum where ebay is often used and a popular topic, so why not vent here....which brings me to the next poster...

Originally Posted by pebblegrain
can you ask the seller first before posting this kind of bullshit? forfuxake

You're angry at your father or something right? Quite a bit of built up emotion and snark over there that certainly can't be from a simple thread with a clearly stated topic that no one forced you to read any of or comment on. The point was more would you bother asking the seller, can you respond with manners?
frown.gif

Jared,

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Yeah, whenever I see something listed as NWOT, I assume it's anywhere from lightly to heavily used.

Recently bought an "NWOT" sportcoat on eBay that arrived reeking of smoke and riddled with moth holes the size of knife wounds. I mean, really, seller? Really?

And I do raise hell with shady sellers and scammers, whether the price tag is $30 or $3000. The way I see it, if I'm not doing my part to stop these assholes, then I'm doing my part to abet them.

Yeah, I def cringe at the possibilities when I see NWOT....and wow, sorry to hear about the sport coat, it is crazy some times to see what people do. This however was marked NWT in the description and "brand new!" in the title. No tags, just the shady packaging...

The bold was my main thought when wondering what to do/whether to do anything when I posted this, well said.

Jared,

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaesarSTL
Yeah, I def cringe at the possibilities when I see NWOT....and wow, sorry to hear about the sport coat, it is crazy some times to see what people do. This however was marked NWT in the description and "brand new!" in the title. No tags, just the shady packaging... The bold was my main thought when wondering what to do/whether to do anything when I posted this, well said. Jared,
Yeah, I've had the same thing happen to me, as well. Sucks. Only thing you can do about it is demand a refund. Some sellers will demand that you return the item for the refund, which is a fair request. But make sure to take some photos before doing so, for the inevitable claim you'll have to file. Lately I've seen a disturbing trend emerging around a distinction between "NWT" and "BNWT," as though anything less than "brand new" is an acceptable label for a clearly used garment. eBay really has gone to *********** last five or six years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads