• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you guys think of the new style BMW 5-Series (F10)?

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
plain.gif

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Saw one in white today. Not a fran. The 135 looks good in white, as do many other Bimmers, but not the F10.
--Andre

If you see it in US spec with the orange indicators, it'd probably look bad, but I see it here with clears and it's not an awful looking car in any color, and it looks okay in white in 535i trim with large silver wheels -but it just doesn't really look like a BMW really, especially the red with smoke taillight treatment. Followed one home tonight side by side with a Genesis sedan and the lighting pattern, the silhouette, just way too similar now, BMW has lost that clean and slightly aggressive touch that people loved.

Gone are the days of clean, purposeful lines with aggressive trailing edges, scalloped trunk lid edges, classy and subtle side creasing and jewel-like headlights that only blasted a pair of round beams down the road; nowadays BMW is all about ****-lazy compound curve headlight clusters intended to 'evoke' the old 4-headlight BMWs, kidney grilles that can't decide if they want to be big or small, ugly and over exaggerated character creases, and that stupid inverse crease on the hoods - old BMWs with the big phallic hump, good, new BMWs with the flaccid inverse crease that looks like a wrinkled forehead, bad.

Bartolo

Reaction score
How 'bout the Hofmeister kink??

It's hardly BMW's fault that Hyundai (and Honda, and . . . ) copied their design features. I agree about the hood creases, and I was sorry to see the 2-curve dash of the E60 become the 1-curve dash in the F10. I guess many don't notice it, but the way the 2 curves of the E60's dash intersect is really interesting.

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
Sorry to disagree. I owned two of the last of the real 5 series, the E39 M62, and then luckily the E39 S62. The E60 lost me for good, and the current F10 is merely a better interpretation of the pile of steaming turd the E60 was.

I despair how BMW has moved to FWD, more and more xDrive, and the way they've completely bastardized their M brand into the forced induction, auto-******, iDrive, DCT...esq poseur-mobiles. But most of all, the road feel through the steering wheel that BMW use to be infamous for, has now evaporated with the E90 and the F10. I miss the legendary BMW naturally aspirated M engines, manual transmissions, and their understated Q ship looks. Don't even get me started on the X5M and X6M.

Current daily ride is a F-150, with a 'toy' for the weekends. I sigh that I likely will never own another BMW in my life...... unless I can find a decent E30 M3.

On the other hand I do like what Audi is doing these days

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^smartest man here

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Birks and Grey Socks
Sorry to disagree. I owned two of the last of the real 5 series, the E39 M62, and then luckily the E39 S62. The E60 lost me for good, and the current F10 is merely a better interpretation of the pile of steaming turd the E60 was.

I despair how BMW has moved to FWD, more and more xDrive, and the way they've completely bastardized their M brand into the forced induction, auto-******, iDrive, DCT...esq poseur-mobiles.

I always find it amusing that the last "real" car of any brand is the one the poster had.
smile.gif
The 5-series since the E39 are no less real, though it does enjoy the strongest consensus I've seen for "last great 5-series," in the way that the 993 is still the last great 911.

As far as lamenting the move to FWD - that hasn't even occurred yet! I agree that I'm not a fan of electric-assist power steering, though it's gotten better than its first release in the E85 Z4.

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kookz
You guys are crazy. The E60 is one of the best looking sedans made. If only they released the E61 M5 in North America... (I know it's not an M5, see above comment).
00010.jpg

The e60 has the lines of a giant pooper scooper...

Kookz

Reaction score
I think you have all lost it. The E60 is the best looking non-exotic sedan on the road today.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
I always find it amusing that the last "real" car of any brand is the one the poster had.
smile.gif
The 5-series since the E39 are no less real, though it does enjoy the strongest consensus I've seen for "last great 5-series," in the way that the 993 is still the last great 911.

I always find it amusing people think others hate on cars because they can't afford them even though they had an outgoing model of that same marque.

Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
The e60 has the lines of a giant pooper scooper...

indeed

Originally Posted by Kookz
I think you have all lost it. The E60 is the best looking non-exotic sedan on the road today.

How long have you been into bmws? I suspect not long.

Bartolo

Reaction score
I'm off to turn in my F10 loaner and pick up my giant poop... er E60 from the dealership's service department.

Who buys a 5-series for back seat room anyways??? I guess someone does, as heated rear seats are an option. I make my kids suffer with non-heated seats.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Who buys a 5-series for back seat room anyways??? I guess someone does, as heated rear seats are an option. I make my kids suffer with non-heated seats.

Apparently the Chinese do. The long wheelbase E60 was only really sold in China. FWIW, given the way their economy is going, basically every luxury car design decision from now on is going to be driven by Chinese market needs.

--Andre

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
I'm off to turn in my F10 loaner and pick up my giant poop... er E60 from the dealership's service department.

Obese Americans!

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I always find it amusing people think others hate on cars because they can't afford them even though they had an outgoing model of that same marque.

Lurking on Porsche forums? If you don't adore the new models over the old ones, you're lambasted as being broke.
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads