• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Scotty

Reaction score
I need a pair of oxfords just for "the ocassions" as my corrected leather shiny black shoes get nasty after 6 wears in about 6 years (just weddings).
So I'd like a pair of goodyear welted, leather sole, calf leather not so expensive, new black oxfords.
Can I find a better deal than this on the web: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...ID=2&seconds=2?
What do you think?
Thanks.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gort
Not sure this is a "quick question" or if it would be better in SW&D, but with warm temperatures approaching, what sort of men's summerwear is SF approved and not hot as hell? I sweat, usually A LOT, and I'm not some big *****, I'm 6'1", 185lbs and have pretty decent ab definition! I just sweat a lot during the humid DC summers.

Typically I dress down as much as I can (shorts and a polo), but am looking to step up the summerwear a bit while not feeling like I'm roasting. TIA.

Linen trousers and a buttonup with the sleeves rolled up. It is a notch dressier than your typical summer wear and probably just as cool.

TRA8324

Reaction score
I just got a pair of Allen Edmonds MacNeil in bugundy cordovan. They are slightly used so I want to give them a fresh polish. I have some neutral shoe cream from brooks brothers. Is this okay to use on the cordovan, or should I get something else?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRA8324
I just got a pair of Allen Edmonds MacNeil in bugundy cordovan. They are slightly used so I want to give them a fresh polish. I have some neutral shoe cream from brooks brothers. Is this okay to use on the cordovan, or should I get something else?

From your description, those are shell cordovan, not calf skin so you need #8 cordovan cream or wax. Alden, Saphir, and AE all have their own product.
Shell does not need to be polished very often and takes very little polish. You may want to try brushing them and buffing them with a soft cloth and decide if they really need to be polished. If you apply a little water and a lot of elbow grease when you buff them, you can get quite a shine.
Here are Alden's care suggestions:
http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...l_cordovan.htm

TRA8324

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
From your description, those are shell cordovan, not calf skin so you need #8 cordovan cream or wax. Alden, Saphir, and AE all have their own product.
Shell does not need to be polished very often and takes very little polish. You may want to try brushing them and buffing them with a soft cloth and decide if they really need to be polished. If you apply a little water and a lot of elbow grease when you buff them, you can get quite a shine.
Here are Alden's care suggestions:
http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...l_cordovan.htm

Yeah, they are shell cordovan. This is my first pair so i'm unfamiliar with caring for them. Thanks for the help.

juliank

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am in the market for some sleeker chelsea boots similar to a Ferragamo style and was wondering if there was any other brands I should be looking at the 500 and under price point. Thanks.

Simon Radash

Reaction score
Hello to all this is my second post, and I don't have a question. On the contrary I have answers but answers related to Indian clothing and designers. So if anyone have a question in that respect, feel free to ask me.

Ag229487

Reaction score
^ Welcome to the board-

Question: Does anyone have a pair of Herring Readings, suede captoes?

Size down .5 or 1 full size?

Thanks!

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juliank
Hey guys, I am in the market for some sleeker chelsea boots similar to a Ferragamo style and was wondering if there was any other brands I should be looking at the 500 and under price point. Thanks.

People say this a lot around here, but I'll say it anyway: Allen Edmonds. Their boots in this style start around $200-$250 less, I believe, and are of great quality -- at least according to a friend's dad, who owned a chain of high-end shoe stores.

Personally, I've had good luck with vintage Florsheim Imperials, though this would only apply if you were looking for a deal on ebay, not new.
wink.gif

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
It definitely looks like somebody used black polish over a burgundy shoe, or even tried dying them black. A lot of people do this in order to get the patina that you are seeing...not inappropriate for casual shoes at all!
Ha! Thanks so much for this. I'd never have thought someone would do this on purpose, or that they'd still be recommended for wear. But I do love them. And now that I know this, I think I'm going to trick them out with some of those purple dress laces sold in B&S. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Opinions on these CJs? Do they look blobby?
cj2c.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Opinions on these CJs? Do they look blobby?
cj2c.jpg

Way too blobby. If they are a 39 or a 40, send them to me, and I'll dispose of them properly. \\Not serious BTW, in case you didn't catch on. They look quite nice.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question on Lobb shoes. There are apparently two Lobb s out there, quoting from link at bottom of this post:

Hermes acquired John Lobb in 1976 and took over everything except the original John Lobb bespoke shoe shop on London's St. James's Street. Whilst the original, family-owned Lobb in St. James's Street still makes shoes one pair at a time, Hermes has broadened the reach of the Lobb brand name through its ready-made shoe
So which Lobb shoes are regarded as teh **** on this forum? The Hermes version or the ones made by the family-owned shoes shop?

Or both?

Linky

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juliank

Is there a reason why you don't just buy Ferragamo? Their shoes are excellent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics