• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brand new display model Park avenues for 140 shipped. They have the W on the sole - otherwise mint condition, best part is they are already broken in. So stoked.

They were buy it now for 240 on ebay. I offered 120 and they accepted LOL

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Staatsoper
Did well at Goodwill today, a pair of Alden shell tassel loafers, 8.5 B/D, color #8 I think. Condition seems excellent, eh? Bizarrely, since I'm a 7 EEE, they sorta fit, although it may be wishful thinking.
satisfied.gif

Sorta fit is no good for your feet. Through eBay to Japan! Then wait for the next one.

MacDaddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JGLB
My BiL just rescued this from a foreclosure cleanout. The picture below is from the website, mine is missing the mat, and cloth cover for the iron, but man does this sucker build up some steam. Though I'm afraid it may be overkill for my needs.

SVP-24.jpg

High steam makes some very good equipment,but that steam generator is made to be used with a vacuum or vacuum/up-air board.
http://www.sewingmachineoutlet.com/hspnd1000ac.htm
http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp06774-0675.html
I would keep it and look for a used board on Craigslist or Ebay,you probably won't find one in a thrift store.
Eventually you can get as good as this guy.

mk.ultra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Staatsoper
Did well at Goodwill today, a pair of Alden shell tassel loafers, 8.5 B/D, color #8 I think. Condition seems excellent, eh? Bizarrely, since I'm a 7 EEE, they sorta fit, although it may be wishful thinking.
satisfied.gif

wow, nice find...

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure,
I also work in the Medical field....
My "spot" is really far north actuall.
Shoot me a PM and we can plan a time to hit mine and yours?

C

Originally Posted by matstyleku
The only thing my size in terms of the shirts was the BB GF Tuxedo shirt, the Dior and another shirt I bought by joespeh and lyman.

One BB's will fit my brother, so will probably give to him. the other, I just found some holes in the arm I didn't see when I inspected in the store, really random place for them, but o well.

I do think we are in the same area, although I saw that you are from farther north than I am when I was trying to see where to thrift in the north shore.

Anyways, maybe we can meet up sometime this week or next and you are able to show me the ropes or something. I have these two weeks off to work on my motorcycle and other random things but after that it will be a rare thing for me to do since I will be really heavy with work next month and then out of the country for 2 months, after which I start my medical residency and will probably be moving out of the area, haha.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
Brand new display model Park avenues for 140 shipped. They have the W on the sole - otherwise mint condition, best part is they are already broken in. So stoked.

HOW and where? Send me the sellers info please!

I'm looking for some monks

Crass

Reaction score
So I've had a pretty successful week so far, but more on that later.

I've gone through about half of this thread since lurking SF for the past few months and I've heard mention of the SA and GW separating out name "brands" in order to compete with flippers. I ran across their official auction site by accident and well...it's what you would expect a site run by Goodwill to look like. They wanted to recreate the effect of going through each rack to find the gem online and I, personally, think they did a really nice job the experience.

A rare Louis Vuitton trunk is ending soon as well as some Hermes ties and Burberry Coats.

shopgoodwill.com

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger

Hey.

What's the info of the seller? I need some new shoes
wink.gif

cheers

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdwy89
For the pants, 56 EU = 44-46 US.
For the jacket, 52 EU = 42 US.

Pretty sure this is incorrect. In pants, EU56 is a about a US38. When I had a 40" waist I was buying EU58 in brands like Pal Zileri.

This is still a small drop for a suit, but it's not bizarre.

951socal

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers Makers Hand Tailored Made in USA suit (heard it was martin greenfield?) I had no idea brooks brothers suits had THIS much hand work Fully canvased, hand work everywhere Its an older Made-to-measure piece, No size. do you guys think i can wear this color to an interview? http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...l/DSC00687.jpg http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...l/DSC00688.jpg ALSO: i saw a 3-roll 2 light grey Hickey Freeman Madison suit in my size, but it was tagged at $49.99 ID if its worth picking up at that pice?

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bit of a haul this morning, though I stopped off for lunch and kind of lost heart afterwards; it means there's more waiting for next time! Brooks Brothers US-made supima cotton OCBD
sam3699.jpg
BB quarter-zip Pima cotton sweater
sam3700.jpg
Brioni check sportcoat
sam3711.jpg
Dege & Skinner regimental stripe tie
sam3715.jpg
Sartoria Parioli handmade tie
sam3713b.jpg
Macclesfield horsebit tie
sam3714.jpg
Thurston burgundy velvet braces
sam3698.jpg
Cordings covert coat
sam3693.jpg
Best of all, a Mulberry 'Roger Saul' congo croc-print briefcase
sam3717w.jpg

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal
Brooks Brothers
Makers
Hand Tailored
Made in USA suit (heard it was martin greenfield?)

I had no idea brooks brothers suits had THIS much hand work
Fully canvased, hand work everywhere

Its an older Made-to-measure piece, No size.

do you guys think i can wear this color to an interview?

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...l/DSC00687.jpg

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...l/DSC00688.jpg

ALSO: i saw a 3-roll 2 light grey Hickey Freeman Madison suit in my size, but it was tagged at $49.99 ID if its worth picking up at that pice?

Current BB Golden Fleece MTM (and some of the GF RTW) is made by Greenfield. I don't know if they used Greenfield that long ago or not. Any interior pocket tags?

That fabric would be fine for an interview. Only slightly less formal than a solid gray, but nobody's going to care.

The HF is worth the money if it fits you well and you'll wear it. It's questionable if it needs a lot of alterations, and definitely not worth picking up to flip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads