• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chukcka fit question...

mech IFR

Reaction score
9161.jpg

So I recently grabbed a pair of size 13D Allen Edmond Malverns as my first set of Chukkas. For reference, a 13C Alden (Plaza last) fits perfectly. AE doesnt make the Malverns in a C width.

As I tried them on for the first time, I noticed the with in the heel and ball area is fine (snug, little lateral room), but I have TONS of room in the toe box. Enough to move my toes quite freely. Enough to feel the front third of my foot is not secure.

Question is, what should I expect when fitting a chukka boot? Should they be as snug as my balmorals or oxfords? If so, has anyone had success sizing down in a Malvern? Or would anyone suggest I try a different pair of chukkas? If so, why?

mech IFR

Reaction score
Anyone? Don't let my marsupialed spelling in OP title deter your post.

Claus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mech IFR
...I have TONS of room in the toe box. Enough to move my toes quite freely. Enough to feel the front third of my foot is not secure.

Your toes should be able to move freely in a good fitting shoe.

I don't know what you mean by 'not secure'. Could you elaborate?

mech IFR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Claus
Could you elaborate?

Maybe this is because I'm used to a lower profile shoe, but in the Malvern I can move my toes nearly half an inch upward (skyward) before they touch the underside of the vamp. In contrast, there is very little vertical room between my toes and the vamp in my Alden balmorals.

Other than that issue, the chukkas fit around the ball and heel of my foot well. Again, this is my first pair and I'm unsure what the correct fit should feel like.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The height of the toe-box is less relevant than the other areas, as long as they don't cramp the toes.

Staatsoper

Reaction score
Stick with 'em. I have some AE chukkas as well, and they fit the same way...I wear them (too) constantly, and they've proven to be extremely comfortable. As your feet swell a bit toward the end of a long day, you'll appreciate the extra toe space, I think.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you haven't tried the next size down, there is no way you can know for sure which is a better fit

Claus

Reaction score
What upnorth said.

The area where the shoe creases could be more of a problem. If there's "too much" vertical room, a walking crease may become so deep, the leather presses onto your toes. That could cause blisters.

But just because there's more room compared to other shoes shouldn't worry you. Most shoes feel different, because they are usually made on different lasts.

mech IFR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
if you haven't tried the next size down, there is no way you can know for sure which is a better fit

This is the conclusion I've come to as well. I will exchange these for one size smaller and see where it stands. I will post the results here.

Thanks all for the info. It's been very informative.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics