• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

matstyleku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Famous last words...
laugh.gif
That Canali suit is really, really bizarre - probably better off left. Are you 100% positive it's not just a similar-color pair of odd slacks? There's got to be some explanation for this, probably one of the two gdwy89 listed. Seriously though, if it's something you're even maybe serious about, and the price isn't stratospheric, think long and hard before leaving something hoping for a sale. 99% of the time when you do this, even if you hide it, you'll never see it again. Depending on the item, the savings may be minuscule compared to the force with which you smack your head when you realize it's gone. We've all done it a time or two. If you're serious about it and it's not going to completely bankrupt you, pick it up no matter when the sale is. Of course, it's sometimes good strategy to leave something for the sale if you're not really sure if you want it. I've picked up a few random items this way, like a Banana Republic 86silk/14cashmere sweater that sat for weeks and makes for a good around-the-house beater sweater. You get the idea, though - never leave anything you'd kick yourself over if it were gone the next day.

I solved the mystery of the odd sizing. I talked to manager and found out the original owner:
082009_GRIMACE.jpg
Haha, I know that there's a good chance they won't be there, but since they don't fit me, I would be getting it for you guys and I don't think anyone fits that. One button on it was loose and there were a couple stains at the edge of the sleeve. The store I went to was pretty small and all the suits were kept with the pants so it seems they take care in putting things together. Interesting thing is they have a couple other shops, although about 40 minutes from me, might be worth checking out. I might go get the Lanvin suit, as it did fit well, just needed the shoulder pads removed and an extra 2 inches on the sleeve. Anyways, I don't even know if it's a good deal for you guys or not, but those pants I got don't fit me. If anyone who helped me through the process wants them, let me know. 15$ shipped. The Burle is 34R and the Zanella is 38

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Famous last words...
laugh.gif

That Canali suit is really, really bizarre - probably better off left. Are you 100% positive it's not just a similar-color pair of odd slacks? There's got to be some explanation for this, probably one of the two gdwy89 listed.

Seriously though, if it's something you're even maybe serious about, and the price isn't stratospheric, think long and hard before leaving something hoping for a sale. 99% of the time when you do this, even if you hide it, you'll never see it again. Depending on the item, the savings may be minuscule compared to the force with which you smack your head when you realize it's gone. We've all done it a time or two. If you're serious about it and it's not going to completely bankrupt you, pick it up no matter when the sale is.

Of course, it's sometimes good strategy to leave something for the sale if you're not really sure if you want it. I've picked up a few random items this way, like a Banana Republic 86silk/14cashmere sweater that sat for weeks and makes for a good around-the-house beater sweater. You get the idea, though - never leave anything you'd kick yourself over if it were gone the next day.

LOL! There's a thrift store near my house and I visit there from time to time. They had a beautiful bespoke suit with all the bells and whistles from a company in italy. So nice! But they were having some stupid "best of the best" sale at all of their stores. Essentially, they take all of the "name brand" stuff and mark it up dramatically (i.e. the same HF suit I saw 2 weeks before was going for 25 whereas it was going for 125 at their bob sale). Well, this suit was $150. It still was worth it but I didnt want to lose to these people. So, I hid the pants from the jacket.

I went back a week later (although I planned on going the day later but didnt have time to) and it was gone
frown.gif

baldy[1].gif

matstyleku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
LOL! There's a thrift store near my house and I visit there from time to time. They had a beautiful bespoke suit with all the bells and whistles from a company in italy. So nice! But they were having some stupid "best of the best" sale at all of their stores. Essentially, they take all of the "name brand" stuff and mark it up dramatically (i.e. the same HF suit I saw 2 weeks before was going for 25 whereas it was going for 125 at their bob sale). Well, this suit was $150. It still was worth it but I didnt want to lose to these people. So, I hid the pants from the jacket.

I went back a week later (although I planned on going the day later but didnt have time to) and it was gone
frown.gif

baldy[1].gif

I think a good trick would be to hide it under a really nasty sweater or something. Just make sure the sweater doesn't have a big Polo teddy bear on front, haha.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hid it in the women's section . . .

Staatsoper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja

frown.gif

baldy[1].gif

See, it backfired! Instead, you gladly should have paid the $150, as a sacrificial offering, humbly and reverently laid on the altar of the Thrift Gods, to insure the success of future hunts.
worship2.gif

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. It was worth $150 easily too! Honestly, other than a different bespoke I found, probably the nicest suit ever.

crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
today was another good day: a made in italy Roland MIDI inteligent synthesizer and a handmade Martin Dingman aligator belt (in my size)

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No luck at the thrift today. Only a couple of items of note: a sherbet colored v-neck lambswool sweater by Pringle (40", too small) and a Corneliani jacket, a 48EU. The Corneliani was very sharp, in excellent shape, but ventless. I was also having trouble dating it. The lapels were relatively slim, no flaps on front pockets and "Corneliani" was written in brown script on the inside label. Any ideas of what era it might be?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
today was another good day: a made in italy Roland MIDI inteligent synthesizer and a handmade Martin Dingman aligator belt (in my size)

Call Deadmau5 RIGHT NOW!

Staatsoper

Reaction score
Did well at Goodwill today, a pair of Alden shell tassel loafers, 8.5 B/D, color #8 I think. Condition seems excellent, eh? Bizarrely, since I'm a 7 EEE, they sorta fit, although it may be wishful thinking.
satisfied.gif

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Staatsoper
Did well at Goodwill today, a pair of Alden shell tassel loafers, 8.5 B/D, color #8 I think. Condition seems excellent, eh? Bizarrely, since I'm a 7 EEE, they sorta fit, although it may be wishful thinking.
satisfied.gif

very nice i have never seen Alden up here

JGLB

Reaction score
My BiL just rescued this from a foreclosure cleanout. The picture below is from the website, mine is missing the mat, and cloth cover for the iron, but man does this sucker build up some steam. Though I'm afraid it may be overkill for my needs.

SVP-24.jpg

Staatsoper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JGLB
My BiL just rescued this from a foreclosure cleanout. The picture below is from the website, mine is missing the mat, and cloth cover for the iron, but man does this sucker build up some steam. Though I'm afraid it may be overkill for my needs.

SVP-24.jpg

Looks like it would make an excellent espresso as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads