• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best BBQ and best Mexican in Austin

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
So it looks like Franklin's might leave me **** out of luck in the afternoon, huh?
Yep, most likely. Call ahead though, and they will reserve some for you. You can take it to the park and pig out. Edit - now that I think about it, call ahead no matter what. Their new building is supposed to go into operation on March 1, and I think I head something about them being closed for a bit before that.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive had ironworks brisket and pulled pork. Not a revelation but I do recall really liking one of the side dishes.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it looks like Franklin's might leave me **** out of luck in the afternoon, huh?

That's the thing about trailers, they can be pulled away overnight. I just came from there (thought I'd give them a try after all the fluff on here) and they're gone. Went by the place on E. 11th they are moving to and it is closed for remodeling.
Ok, you can stand trailers so you must not be picky about your ambiance. Quit effing around and go to the real deal. In town that would be Sam's. They don't run out and they are open all afternoon (and into the evening).

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
this helps to keep track of them

http://austinfoodcarts.com/austin-mo...t-trailer-map/

Thanks, but I'm too old for this. I have to apologize for my generation impoverishing the country to the extent that it is now like a third world country in one more respect. Or, put another way, back in my blue collar days I got to eat off a roach coach all I wanted, it doesn't do much for me.

Seriously, I don't get trailers. Who's saving money here? Not the customer. The prices I've seen are no cheaper than at a sit down cafe, so what's the big whoop? And one more thing, Austin ain't LA. It gets hotter than **** for half a year. Dining with Al Fresco isn't a treat in Texas, it's an ordeal.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spats
Thanks, but I'm too old for this. I have to apologize for my generation impoverishing the country to the extent that it is now like a third world country in one more respect. Or, put another way, back in my blue collar days I got to eat off a roach coach all I wanted, it doesn't do much for me.

Seriously, I don't get trailers. Who's saving money here? Not the customer. The prices I've seen are no cheaper than at a sit down cafe, so what's the big whoop? And one more thing, Austin ain't LA. It gets hotter than **** for half a year. Dining with Al Fresco isn't a treat in Texas, it's an ordeal.

You're funny.

The trailer thing is true. They're actually quite inconvenient, bordering on annoying, even the ones serving great food. So Sams would be a better bet for BBQ?

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Sams would be a better bet for BBQ?
I've thought about this a bit more ever since I stumbled on this thread yesterday. Let me put it this way, BBQ is time consuming to make, but not rocket science. It needs to be good, certain things are non-negotiable. But it doesn't need to be "the best." The best is probably someone's brother-in-law the pipeline welder who has a lot of time on his hands when he's home annoying his friends and family. But he's not a business.
Sam's is a long established joint in the black part of town, a descendant of "Sam's Showcase," a black owned entertainment venue from the days when blacks owned precious little in Texas. They know how to cook barbecue, they do it every day of the week, probably have been for over 50 years. Hell, the whole building (wood frame) is a piece of barbecue. They use wood, not gas. They don't upsell you or sell you anything but barbecued meat. They aren't hipsters who hit town last year and opened a trailer before they return to grad school.
They might not be "the best," but they are rock steady and I would say a better bet if you have a short time for one meal, in town, late lunch, no lines, no "running out," (wtf) and you don't mind the atmosphere (or lack of it). They're at 2000 E. 12th (east of I-35).

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've thought about this a bit more ever since I stumbled on this thread yesterday. Let me put it this way, BBQ is time consuming to make, but not rocket science. It needs to be good, certain things are non-negotiable. But it doesn't need to be "the best." The best is probably someone's brother-in-law the pipeline welder who has a lot of time on his hands when he's home annoying his friends and family. But he's not a business. Sam's is a long established joint in the black part of town, a descendant of "Sam's Showcase," a black owned entertainment venue from the days when blacks owned precious little in Texas. They know how to cook barbecue, they do it every day of the week, probably have been for over 50 years. Hell, the whole building (wood frame) is a piece of barbecue. They use wood, not gas. They don't upsell you or sell you anything but barbecued meat. They aren't hipsters who hit town last year and opened a trailer before they return to grad school. They might not be "the best," but they are rock steady and I would say a better bet if you have a short time for one meal, in town, late lunch, no lines, no "running out," (wtf) and you don't mind the atmosphere (or lack of it). They're at 2000 E. 12th (east of I-35).
love this description. reminds me so much of stubb. the place had that cottage cheese texture applied to the walls and i swear it was black and smelled like hickory.
stubby.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG] he was a great man. just noticed the poster in teh back for the Maines Brothers ... that's Natalie Maines' dad Lloyd and his brothers.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've thought about this a bit more ever since I stumbled on this thread yesterday. Let me put it this way, BBQ is time consuming to make, but not rocket science. It needs to be good, certain things are non-negotiable. But it doesn't need to be "the best." The best is probably someone's brother-in-law the pipeline welder who has a lot of time on his hands when he's home annoying his friends and family. But he's not a business.
Sam's is a long established joint in the black part of town, a descendant of "Sam's Showcase," a black owned entertainment venue from the days when blacks owned precious little in Texas. They know how to cook barbecue, they do it every day of the week, probably have been for over 50 years. Hell, the whole building (wood frame) is a piece of barbecue. They use wood, not gas. They don't upsell you or sell you anything but barbecued meat. They aren't hipsters who hit town last year and opened a trailer before they return to grad school.
They might not be "the best," but they are rock steady and I would say a better bet if you have a short time for one meal, in town, late lunch, no lines, no "running out," (wtf) and you don't mind the atmosphere (or lack of it). They're at 2000 E. 12th (east of I-35).

We have a very similar thought process and I find your posts very entertaining.

Sam's it is.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I used to live a few blocks away from Sam's BBQ and have been there a dozen times. It's a good choice, though sometimes can be a little dry. Just luck of the draw. It's also open as late as 2-3am, so you might even be able to squeeze it in as a third meal. Just be aware that it's in a rough part of town.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
reminds me so much of stubb.
stubby.jpg

Although I've never been to Lubbock, of course the Lubbockians are a big part of Austin culture. Many years ago the Austin Chronicle was running a couple of bits saying "look out Austin, Stubbs is coming, he's beloved of Joe Ely et al, and he'll kick butt in Austin BBQ." Well, one sunny hot morning I was down at the scrap metal yard at 4th and Waller when a black man about 6'-4" and wearing a long sleeve denim shirt (we all wore t-shirts then) approached me and asked, "son, where do they have iron, I'm looking for a large steel drum or tank?" (that yard we were in only handled non-ferrous metals). I instantly recognized him from his picture in the Chron, realized he wanted the drum to make a "pit" out of, and I directed him to the two ferrous metal yards in town. It seems like it wasn't long after that he died, prematurely before ever really getting his joint going in Austin. I always wondered if he at least got that pit built with my tiny contribution. Later the Stubbs name was somehow aquired by "the man" and mediocre food, a nightclub, and nationally distributed bottled sauce was the outcome. I hope his heirs get a piece of the action.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I've never been to Lubbock, of course the Lubbockians are a big part of Austin culture. Many years ago the Austin Chronicle was running a couple of bits saying "look out Austin, Stubbs is coming, he's beloved of Joe Ely et al, and he'll kick butt in Austin BBQ." Well, one sunny hot morning I was down at the scrap metal yard at 4th and Waller when a black man about 6'-4" and wearing a long sleeve denim shirt (we all wore t-shirts then) approached me and asked, "son, where do they have iron, I'm looking for a large steel drum or tank?" (that yard we were in only handled non-ferrous metals). I instantly recognized him from his picture in the Chron, realized he wanted the drum to make a "pit" out of, and I directed him to the two ferrous metal yards in town. It seems like it wasn't long after that he died, prematurely before ever really getting his joint going in Austin. I always wondered if he at least got that pit built with my tiny contribution. Later the Stubbs name was somehow aquired by "the man" and mediocre food, a nightclub, and nationally distributed bottled sauce was the outcome. I hope his heirs get a piece of the action.

that's stubb. he'd drive all the way to tennessee every couple months to pick up hickory because he didn't trust a vendor. the business thing actually worked out ok for him. it started, actually, because he was having a hard time making rent, so Joe, terry allen, some other lubbock guys and me started chipping in $100 a month to help him out. as a thank you, he bottled up a bunch of sauce (in used whiskey bottles) and sent them to us for christmas (i've still got 2 of them ... will never open them ... am thinking of making a cornell box with them and an old menu). the money guys came in right before he got sick. joe lined up representation and stubb at least made enough money to be comfortable for the last year of his life. as for heirs ... i'm not sure how that worked out. he had been separated from his wife for 20 years (no divorce, didn't believe in divorce), and was estranged from his kids. his real family was joe ely, terry allen, jesse taylor and a few other musicians.
we used to do annual stubb benefit concerts in lubbock and in austin and the lineup was always amazing ... stevie ray vaughn, los lobos, george thorogood, ely, flatlanders separate and togther, it was very cool. anyway, thanks for the trip down memory lane. it is somewhat on topic since he really is the kind of guy people think about what they say "pitmaster"
also: look at the stubbs website and there is a cd of him giving bbq recipes. almost completely uninformative, but it's him doing his thing over a great blues background. i gave it to thomas keller for christmas one year.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
that's stubb. he'd drive all the way to tennessee every couple months to pick up hickory because he didn't trust a vendor. the business thing actually worked out ok for him. it started, actually, because he was having a hard time making rent, so Joe, terry allen, some other lubbock guys and me started chipping in $100 a month to help him out. as a thank you, he bottled up a bunch of sauce (in used whiskey bottles) and sent them to us for christmas (i've still got 2 of them ... will never open them ... am thinking of making a cornell box with them and an old menu). the money guys came in right before he got sick. joe lined up representation and stubb at least made enough money to be comfortable for the last year of his life. as for heirs ... i'm not sure how that worked out. he had been separated from his wife for 20 years (no divorce, didn't believe in divorce), and was estranged from his kids. his real family was joe ely, terry allen, jesse taylor and a few other musicians.
we used to do annual stubb benefit concerts in lubbock and in austin and the lineup was always amazing ... stevie ray vaughn, los lobos, george thorogood, ely, flatlanders separate and togther, it was very cool. anyway, thanks for the trip down memory lane. it is somewhat on topic since he really is the kind of guy people think about what they say "pitmaster"
also: look at the stubbs website and there is a cd of him giving bbq recipes. almost completely uninformative, but it's him doing his thing over a great blues background. i gave it to thomas keller for christmas one year.

jesus christ that must have been some good meat...

ns7

Reaction score
If anyone can spare a couple hours to drive to Llano, I highly recommend Cooper's. Probably the best BBQ I've ever had.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jesus christ that must have been some good meat...

it really was terrific. it's kind of what got me started in cooking. i was a sportswriter and would have a couple h ours off in the middle of the evening while we were waiting for late scores to come in, so i hung out there. eventually, barbecue help being what it is, stubb would ask me to help out waiting tables when somebody didn't show up. the day he allowed me to finally slice the brisket was one of the proudest days of my life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads