• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
Love my new Allen Edmonds 5th Avenues in Walnut. Balmorals but I think they go with Jeans nicely. I got mine at Bodell's Shoes Rx (http://www.shoesrx.com/) for about 20% below retail for signing up for their on-line newsletter. If you are patient you might find them on eBay too.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by veganjosh
How dangerous is it to go to an unknown tailor? I live in a small city in upstate NY (Ithaca) and can't find any reputable data on tailors --- the closest SF-approved people are 100 miles away. I've got two nice blazers that need the sleeves shortened dramatically, including an Ervell blazer with real button holes (so it'll have to be taken up at the shoulder). Am I risking my stuff getting ruined if I bring it to a local shop? Anything I can say to them to maximize the chance of success?
Call the best men's clothing store in Ithaca and ask them where they send their alterations. It's better than picking a name out of the phone book for a complicated alteration.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello, Men's Clothing: Can someone confirm that this is a normal/acceptable color/aging on these J&M Crown Aristocrafts? They seem to provoke two reactions from friends: first, an admiration for their glossiness and design, the way they will appear black, then a deep purple, and then -- up close -- a light burgundy -- followed by the suspicion that they aren't supposed to be this way or are somehow inappropriate for even casual wear. One person theorized that the original owner gave them up after applying black shoe polish to a burgundy shoe. I say they're oxblood. Who's with me? Also wonder if they might be cordovan; they are uniquely comfortable, second only to these ridiculous Bruno Maglis I happened upon in a thrift store. Apparently, I've caught the SF shoe fever, but at this point, my enthusiasm far outstrips my knowledge. Thanks for taking a look.
wink.gif

Cool Cat

Reaction score
Hey, first post here.

Was just wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction. Iv'e been wanting to get one of those sweaters with the elbow patches on them. Preferably navy blue with brown patch.

This is the closest I could find, but they were sold out....

http://www.vshops.nl/client-knitted/...-neck-sold-out

I was the perfect one on Bourbor sale website a month back but they were sold out.

sqweegle

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of rubber soled shoes from Bexley. Now I've noticed that the stitches under the front part of the soles (the ones that attach the sole to the welt) are getting worn through, with a few already missing under the toes. Is there something I can do to prevent the soles coming off?

Yika

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool Cat
Hey, first post here. Was just wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction. Iv'e been wanting to get one of those sweaters with the elbow patches on them. Preferably navy blue with brown patch. This is the closest I could find, but they were sold out.... http://www.vshops.nl/client-knitted/...-neck-sold-out I was the perfect one on Bourbor sale website a month back but they were sold out.
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/002...jpg?1295973440 Howard Yount.

Frank Davis

Reaction score
Well even though some people might think this is not in the right place, I have a question and I want to ask it here.

Can anybody tell me where I can find some a pair of John Barton black?

I really love it but can't seem to find what I am looking and there are becoming rare.

Even if it is on ebay, please lt me know.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
Hello, Men's Clothing:

Can someone confirm that this is a normal/acceptable color/aging on these J&M Crown Aristocrafts?

They seem to provoke two reactions from friends: first, an admiration for their glossiness and design, the way they will appear black, then a deep purple, and then -- up close -- a light burgundy -- followed by the suspicion that they aren't supposed to be this way or are somehow inappropriate for even casual wear. One person theorized that the original owner gave them up after applying black shoe polish to a burgundy shoe.

I say they're oxblood. Who's with me?

Also wonder if they might be cordovan; they are uniquely comfortable, second only to these ridiculous Bruno Maglis I happened upon in a thrift store.

Apparently, I've caught the SF shoe fever, but at this point, my enthusiasm far outstrips my knowledge.

Thanks for taking a look.
wink.gif

It definitely looks like somebody used black polish over a burgundy shoe, or even tried dying them black. A lot of people do this in order to get the patina that you are seeing. I don't think it is a flaw per se, but I would be careful about some of the caked on polish at the creases as it could promote cracking. I can't really tell if these are corrected grain shoes or not by the photos, but if they are the excess polish would be hard to get off without ruining the factory finish. If they are not corrected grain you can use a deglazer to remove layers of polish buildup and return them to almost the original state then rebuild a new finish using small layers of a new polish. If you like it the way they are by all means wear them, not inappropriate for casual shoes at all!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool Cat
Hey, first post here.

Was just wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction. Iv'e been wanting to get one of those sweaters with the elbow patches on them. Preferably navy blue with brown patch.

This is the closest I could find, but they were sold out....

http://www.vshops.nl/client-knitted/...-neck-sold-out

I was the perfect one on Bourbor sale website a month back but they were sold out.

You can try Ralph Lauren as well as Howard Yount.

MarkusS

Reaction score
First post here, too. Seems like a cosy place.

So my question is, I have a tie which got twisted after a wearing it a while. Is there any way to straighten it again? I realize that this is probalby just a quality issue, but I really like the look of that tie.

Thanks guys!

sqweegle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sqweegle
I recently bought a pair of rubber soled shoes from Bexley. Now I've noticed that the stitches under the front part of the soles (the ones that attach the sole to the welt) are getting worn through, with a few already missing under the toes. Is there something I can do to prevent the soles coming off?

So, has anyone else experienced this? Need advice.

svd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wesley Bills
I think it might be right. I have never own one of my own before but knows a friend that did and he confirm that moisture is not a friend of suede anything. Be it suede shoe or suede whatever.

I've been wearing Clark's desert boots in khaki on every bad weather day this winter in NY - and there's been a lot. I've sprayed them with a suede waterproofer a few times, but not many. Misjudged a dirty puddle on a corner one time and got 2 inches of my sock wet. No discoloration so far.

There are more precious types of suede, and I wouldn't do this with an expensive suede jacket or nice pair of shoes, but these have held up well.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarkusS
First post here, too. Seems like a cosy place.

So my question is, I have a tie which got twisted after a wearing it a while. Is there any way to straighten it again? I realize that this is probalby just a quality issue, but I really like the look of that tie.

Thanks guys!

I would take it to a tailor. the best place for ties would be to send it to tiecrafters in NYC, but it is a four tie minimum and the bill is most likely more money than your tie. I am sure any dry cleaner seamstress could figure it out.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sqweegle
So, has anyone else experienced this? Need advice.

Although you see the stitches coming out the sole is glued as well. The sole will not come off. However, it is usually a good idea to get toe taps put on your leather soled shoes. It stops this from happening at the toe. When the toe wears down like this it can also wear down to the welt, which could make it a much more expensive repair if that happens down the road.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure this is a "quick question" or if it would be better in SW&D, but with warm temperatures approaching, what sort of men's summerwear is SF approved and not hot as hell? I sweat, usually A LOT, and I'm not some big *****, I'm 6'1", 185lbs and have pretty decent ab definition! I just sweat a lot during the humid DC summers.

Typically I dress down as much as I can (shorts and a polo), but am looking to step up the summerwear a bit while not feeling like I'm roasting. TIA.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads