• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help finding suit for law firm interviews

deem

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am a 1L law student interviewing for summer jobs. Currently, I only have a navy DKNY suit. I know it's not good quality, but I had it tailored, and now it fits quite well. I have on-campus interviews (OCI) next fall. These are much more important and I would like to have another, better quality suit. I have until early August to find a dark gray suit for interviews. I cannot spend too much (probably less than $500) on this suit, so I am waiting for some good sales. Does anybody know of any going on right now or any that will be coming up in the next couple of months? I know that I have a decent amount of time to wait, so I am looking for any insight into what sales to look out for. A number of older threads have discussed the Brooks Brothers sale, but the only suits I have found on their current sale (which may not be the big one?) cost around 600, which is still too pricey for me. Any information is much appreciate. Hopefully I kill this semester and swing a good enough job at OCI that I can start a search for a much nicer suit. Until then, thanks for any help you all can provide!

Grenadier

Reaction score
I did very well in a suit from TM Lewin, they're rather slim-fitting, but conservative and a great quality for the price.

deem

Reaction score
pvrhye: I don't have any pictures right now, but I will try to post some later. It's not that I'm worried that the current suit I have isn't good enough, I just also want a charcoal suit. I figured I should turn here to try to get a better one that's going to last for awhile. However, I'll still post pictures to make sure the fit is ok.

azlawstudent: thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into TM Lewin suits.

-----------------
Also, in case it helps, I am 6'2" 160 and wear a 40L. I want a slimmer-fitting suit that still looks professional. I'm only 22, which makes me younger than a decent amount of my classmates, so I want to make sure my suit helps more look more mature (rather than it making me look like a kid who doesn't know how to dress properly).

thanks again for all the help everyone.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deem
pvrhye: I don't have any pictures right now, but I will try to post some later. It's not that I'm worried that the current suit I have isn't good enough, I just also want a charcoal suit. I figured I should turn here to try to get a better one that's going to last for awhile. However, I'll still post pictures to make sure the fit is ok.

azlawstudent: thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into TM Lewis suits.

-----------------
Also, in case it helps, I am 6'2" 160 and wear a 40L. I want a slimmer-fitting suit that still looks professional. I'm only 22, which makes me younger than a decent amount of my classmates, so I want to make sure my suit helps more look more mature (rather than it making me look like a kid who doesn't know how to dress properly).

thanks again for all the help everyone.

You also don't to look like a young man dressed as an old one. We love Upr_crust round here, but dress like him and it's gonna look strange.

deem

Reaction score
thanks a lot for the link, pvrhye. They don't have any suits in my size under 600, but I will definitely keep an eye on bluefly.

deem

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
You also don't to look like a young man dressed as an old one. We love Upr_crust round here, but dress like him and it's gonna look strange.

Very good point. I'm going to trust you guys to make sure that I don't. I'll snap some pictures of my navy suit in the next couple of days and I'll post links in this thread as I find potential buys. Thanks again for the help.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pvrhye: I don't have any pictures right now, but I will try to post some later. It's not that I'm worried that the current suit I have isn't good enough, I just also want a charcoal suit. I figured I should turn here to try to get a better one that's going to last for awhile. However, I'll still post pictures to make sure the fit is ok. azlawstudent: thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into TM Lewin suits. ----------------- Also, in case it helps, I am 6'2" 160 and wear a 40L. I want a slimmer-fitting suit that still looks professional. I'm only 22, which makes me younger than a decent amount of my classmates, so I want to make sure my suit helps more look more mature (rather than it making me look like a kid who doesn't know how to dress properly). thanks again for all the help everyone.
I'm 6'2 and 165 pounds, and I'm really more of a "38L" if it exists... just sayin'. You might think you're a 40L, but it's probably very baggy and too large. If you want to know, measure your chest. Edit- If you are really a 40 not a 38, you can take a look at my Polo Ralph Lauren Suit in a size 40. It's in your price range, and it retails for about 3 times the price, made in Italy. I'm 6'2 and 95% of my coats and suits are regulars with lengthened sleeves... and the body length of the 40R is actually on the long side of a regular. Then again, If you don't know your measurements/size, buying online might not be right for you.

deem

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
I'm 6'2 and 165 pounds, and I'm really more of a "38L" if it exists... just sayin'. You might think you're a 40L, but it's probably very baggy and too large. If you want to know, measure your chest.

Edit- If you are really a 40 not a 38, you can take a look at my Polo Ralph Lauren Suit in a size 40. It's in your price range, and it retails for about 3 times the price, made in Italy. I'm 6'2 and 95% of my coats and suits are regulars with lengthened sleeves... and the body length of the 40R is actually on the long side of a regular. Then again, If you don't know your measurements/size, buying online might not be right for you.

I'm concerned that you're right about the fit. The tailor is older, which means he is probably more traditional in his opinion of what is a "good" fit. I also had to have the sides brought in (not exactly sure if that's what it's called, but he made the jacket more fitted so that it wasn't boxy). As for the length...my fingers go a bit past the bottom of the jacket, which the tailor said was proper, but I', worried that it might be the more traditional fit. I may go to a different tailor in LA (one of the two that have received a lot of praise from people on this forum) and get his opinion.

As for the suit you're selling...I really wish I didn't have a blue suit already, or I would probably buy it. The gray one you're selling is too much for my budget, or I would love to have that.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try to put pictures up tonight so that I can get people's opinion on the jacket fit.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm concerned that you're right about the fit. The tailor is older, which means he is probably more traditional in his opinion of what is a "good" fit. I also had to have the sides brought in (not exactly sure if that's what it's called, but he made the jacket more fitted so that it wasn't boxy). As for the length...my fingers go a bit past the bottom of the jacket, which the tailor said was proper, but I', worried that it might be the more traditional fit. I may go to a different tailor in LA (one of the two that have received a lot of praise from people on this forum) and get his opinion.

As for the suit you're selling...I really wish I didn't have a blue suit already, or I would probably buy it. The gray one you're selling is too much for my budget, or I would love to have that.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try to put pictures up tonight so that I can get people's opinion on the jacket fit.

Let us see the old one and we can say for sure.

deem

Reaction score
Here are some quick pictures. Please let me know if I should take some better/daylight ones. I didn't bother putting on the suit pants because I know I want to get some additional alterations and because I was a bit too lazy to get them out. As for the jacket, I tried to show how it fit my body by taking a picture with my arms slightly raised. Please excuse the wrinkles on the back of the jacket because it needs steamed before my next interview. Also, the dress shirt is old and too short in the sleeves (to try and preempt any comments). Thanks for any comments/critiques.

Egert

Reaction score
what's with the area between your shoulder and elbow..?

deem

Reaction score
I'm not really sure. I think I just posed my arm in a weird way because it doesn't look messed up in person haha.

How does the fit look? Does it seem like I might actually be a 38? Any critiques are welcome. Thanks

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure. I think I just posed my arm in a weird way because it doesn't look messed up in person haha.

How does the fit look? Does it seem like I might actually be a 38? Any critiques are welcome. Thanks

I think you're a 38. The shoulders are a little wide (but serviceable) and the sleeves are much too long (we should see a little shirt cuff). Length is about right though (should cover your ass). Armholes are a little lower than I like, but you can't change that. Just something you should consider next time you choose a suit. There's also a bit of dimpling at the neck as though your neck were pushing back on the collar. I'm not tailor though, so I can't exactly say what caused that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads