• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sleekblackroadster
thanks! put in my order today for 6 bottles.

cheers.gif

pstoller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I think she stored it poorly - she thinks it got left in a hot car at one point. While I'm not an expert, I trust my palate enough to believe that this wasn't quite right. Like I said, it was completely drinkable, but it was just out of sorts. The yeastiness was an interesting component, taken on it's own, but the flavors were out of balance and lacked elegance. Not sure how else to describe it. I've had very good wine on a few occasions and I was always stuck by how they were so complex but still so composed and balanced. This was complex but not at all composed.

Yes, it sounds like poor storage to me. I'm not a huge fan of VC NV (it's OK, just overpriced), but La Grande Dame '96 is a whole 'nother animal. Properly stored, it should remain exceptional for many years to come.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Halp! Ok wine guys I need 2 recommendations please - I have to go to a drunken lunch and I'm supposed to bring a Shiraz and Sirah. I know nothing about either one of these varieties so could you all recommend me a few bottles? Preferably under $20. Thanks.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Halp! Ok wine guys I need 2 recommendations please - I have to go to a drunken lunch and I'm supposed to bring a Shiraz and Sirah. I know nothing about either one of these varieties so could you all recommend me a few bottles? Preferably under $20. Thanks.

Well first, they are the same varietal. Shiraz is the Aussie name for Syrah.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When you say Sirah, are you talking about Petite Sirah? Because this actually is a different grape from syrah/shiraz.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two WA Syrahs (one Columbia Valley, the other, Horse heaven Hills) and a McLaren Vale pink sparkler. Each, $25. Each, serviceable. The Taltarni was quite a pleasant surprise.

wasyrah1.jpg
wasyrah2.jpg
taltarni.jpg

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neb
You do realize that LCBO will exchange the wine if you don't like it right? Just bring it back and they'll refund your money (I was told this directly from the LCBO on Queens Quay in Toronto.

Although it may be hard to pour back into the bottle after it's been in the decanter...

Yes, thanks. I only return if it's spoiled. A wine not to my taste? My poor research/choice.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think shiraz has connotations of new world (cali and aus) big jammy flavors whereas syrah brings to mind more new world flavors specifically northern rhone

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Well first, they are the same varietal. Shiraz is the Aussie name for Syrah.
Didn't know that. Thanks.
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
When you say Sirah, are you talking about Petite Sirah? Because this actually is a different grape from syrah/shiraz.
I, quite honestly, have absolutely no idea. The guy hosting the booze lunch said his favorites are Shiraz and Syrah. Thought I'd get one of each.
Originally Posted by indesertum
I think shiraz has connotations of new world (cali and aus) big jammy flavors whereas syrah brings to mind more new world flavors specifically northern rhone
This is way out of my league. Although, I will say that jammy sounds tasty.
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Two WA Syrahs (one Columbia Valley, the other, Horse heaven Hills) and a McLaren Vale pink sparkler. Each, $25. Each, serviceable. The Taltarni was quite a pleasant surprise.
wasyrah1.jpg
wasyrah2.jpg
taltarni.jpg

Those look pretty but I'm aiming to stay below $20 each since I'm picking up two. Even if they're not the best thing ever, big and fruity should suffice.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DAMN! DAMN, DAMN, DAMN, DAMN!
I got an email from Martinelli and they gave me an allocation...I'm sure they're not all that exclusive but still!!! Though there are not any Jackass Hill Zins or Moonlight Ranch Pinots there is the Zio Tony Ranch and Bondi Home Ranch Pinots which I love very much....I hate being broke
censored.gif

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The guy hosting the booze lunch said his favorites are Shiraz and Syrah. Thought I'd get one of each. ... Those look pretty but I'm aiming to stay below $20 each since I'm picking up two.

You might think about getting a $35 dollar bottle rather than two <$20 bottles. It wouldn't be the worst thing, either, just to go to a local wine store and ask what the guy recommends. Part of the problem is just finding the things that other people recommend.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peay mailer is out today Pio.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Hmm, wonder if the Peay has hit my house yet? We'll see
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads