• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moderate Priced Dress Shoes

MCanavan6

Reaction score
Looking for 2 pairs of dress shoes to wear with suits (blue, charcoal, blue stripe, and gray stripe). I am looking for slip-on shoes in both black and cordovan, with the possibility of a monk strap on either. I'd like to spend $200-$300 maximum on each pair and have been looking at Allen Edmonds, Johnson & Murphy, and Florsheim (obviously a difference in price range). Anyone have any suggestions for other brands to look at for what I'm looking for?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
E is your best bet in that price range. I would avoid J&M.

If you can save up you might consider Alden or some of the English shoemakers.

You mentioned you wanted a loafer and possibly a monk strap for use with suits. While these can work, they shouldn't be your first dress shoe purchases. Choose a cap toe (like the Park Avenue) and maybe one with some brouging (McClain, Strand) as your first dress shoe choices.

MCanavan6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
AE is your best bet in that price range. I would avoid J&M.

If you can save up you might consider Alden or some of the English shoemakers.

You mentioned you wanted a loafer and possibly a monk strap for use with suits. While these can work, they shouldn't be your first dress shoe purchases. Choose a cap toe (like the Park Avenue) and maybe one with some brouging (McClain, Strand) as your first dress shoe choices.

I already have black oxfords, one plaintoe and one captoe. I'm looking for something different.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCanavan6
I already have black oxfords, one plaintoe and one captoe. I'm looking for something different.

Ah, then the loafer and monkstraps are fine. Definitely consider burgundy, or a brown.

cromulated

Reaction score
try the Barker Professional series: Goodyear welted, made at their Earls Barton factory. Loake offers a few British made, Goodyear welted models in the GBP150-170 range as well.

classicusa

Reaction score
If you can be patient, you can usually find BB/Alden tassel loafers for sub $300 during the semi-annual BB sale. With Alden price hike coming, they will be a tad above $300, but maybe close enough...

They had the tassel loafers at 40% off in Dec, or $238.xx. Nice deal. Still don't have them, but that is another thread.

ktrp

Reaction score
The lower end U.K. makers can be had in that range, higher end Loake's, lower end Barkers. Check out Herring shoes, including the herring branded stuff made by others, just watch out for corrected leather.

AE is good quality for the price point, going U.K. makers in that range is not going to buy you a better shoe, just a different one, perhaps one that you find more appealing.

Rush

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
The lower end U.K. makers can be had in that range, higher end Loake's, lower end Barkers. Check out Herring shoes, including the herring branded stuff made by others, just watch out for corrected leather.

AE is good quality for the price point, going U.K. makers in that range is not going to buy you a better shoe, just a different one, perhaps one that you find more appealing.

I second the Herring recommendation. Their Premier range has some beautiful shoes.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is the deal with these barker shoes...a lot of them seem like pretty good deals (especially ex. vat)

Can I assume that hi-shine black is corrected?

cromulated

Reaction score
^ yes, so I've been told (courtesy of a the small questions thread). have recently picked up a pair of barker flynns myself in black calf; they're quite good for the price, and i'd certainly rate them on par with AE...can't speak for the cheaper cemented sole models though.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cromulated
^ yes, so I've been told (courtesy of a the small questions thread). have recently picked up a pair of barker flynns myself in black calf; they're quite good for the price, and i'd certainly rate them on par with AE...can't speak for the cheaper cemented sole models though.

What ranges are welted? I don't really want glue-jobs or corrected grain but otherwise I am interested in seeing what they have to offer.

cromulated

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
What ranges are welted? I don't really want glue-jobs or corrected grain but otherwise I am interested in seeing what they have to offer.

your best bet would be the barker website's product search function, which has an available "goodyear welted" search option...

DStew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCanavan6
Any other opinions?

In that range there is a lot of good stuff. Loake, Barker, AE, Alden seconds, AS

Soem are closer to 300 but still.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads