• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best BBQ and best Mexican in Austin

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have two dinners (one early dinner/late lunch).

I want one incredible BBQ meal and one really great Tex Mex meal. Preferably downtown, don't have a lot of time. I'm in Austin less than 24 hours stopping by to do a followup on a consulting thing from a few months back.

Please advise.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
make sure you
teacha.gif
them how to sweat their veggies

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
make sure you
teacha.gif
them how to sweat their veggies

Not a problem mexicans have.

And BBQ it's irrelevant.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
And BBQ it's irrelevant.

bbq, where white bread is considered a vegetable.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
bbq, where white bread is considered a vegetable.

I don't know what that's so insanely funny but it's so true... it has caused untold obesity but it's soo funny.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
back in the day ... way back in the day, actually, i used to eat 2-3 times a week at the original Stubbs BBQ in Lubbock, TX ... the guy whose sauce is in grocery stores now. he served his bbq (the best i've ever had), with beans, potato salad, a big wedge of white onion and wonder bread.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
back in the day ... way back in the day, actually, i used to eat 2-3 times a week at the original Stubbs BBQ in Lubbock, TX ... the guy whose sauce is in grocery stores now. he served his bbq (the best i've ever had), with beans, potato salad, a big wedge of white onion and wonder bread.

I've always wondered about the bread at the bottom...

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i hate to say it, but there is something about soaking a gooey piece of white bread in bbq sauce that you just don't get with a poilane boule.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ole War Skule
Also, remember this is Texas. We do brisket and sausage well, pork not so much.

pork ribs, though! never have liked beef ribs.

Ole War Skule

Reaction score
Louie Mueller's in Taylor, TX does a pretty good job on their beef ribs, but I'm like you, I'd rather pork ribs than beef ribs.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Have two dinners (one early dinner/late lunch).

I want one incredible BBQ meal and one really great Tex Mex meal. Preferably downtown, don't have a lot of time. I'm in Austin less than 24 hours stopping by to do a followup on a consulting thing from a few months back.

Please advise.

BBQ IN TOWN. (Lockhart, Tx. is more like a 45 minute drive, depending on where you start out from, lunch only) black owned dives: Sam's on E 12th & Chicon, Ray's on Montopolis Dr. at Monsanto,
white owned "dives:" House Park W. 12th off Lamar, Green Mesquite on Barton Springs (open at night)
sort of fancy white joints with bars, etc. Iron Works near Convention Center, Stubb's on Red River and 8th, County Line on the Lake on RR 2222 at Loop 360.

BBQ is usually a lunch time affair unless you go to the fancy joints or want to hang with a drunk or two at Sam's.

Tex-Mex: Matt's El Rancho, (old line emphasis on the Tex. also, El Patio, Nuevo Leon, El Azteca etc. Almost anything with El beginning the name, all pretty close to downtown, some on the east (Mexican) side.
More Mex than Tex: El Sol y La Luna (good for breakfast meet, etc.) on e6th at Red River, Fonda San Miguel (pretty nice, a little fancy-date ready).

Ignore anything else you've read in this thread if it conflicts with what I've said. PM me if you need any clarification on any of this. 'Nuff said.

Ole War Skule

Reaction score
Do you not like this guy or something? Why would you ever suggest someone go to Stubbs, Green Mesquite or County Line?

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ole War Skule
Do you not like this guy or something? Why would you ever suggest someone go to Stubbs, Green Mesquite or County Line?
teacha.gif
Because: he said "under 24 hours, keep it in town." Thus, no Lockhart, no Taylor, no small towns. Because: sometimes people want a "restaurant" with a bar, late hours, waitresses, etc. The meat at those places is not bad, last time I ate at any of them. I could do without the rest of it, but again, not everyone wants to eat in a "joint." I think I gave him a choice, in town, and no corporate chain places (I saw a whole segment of a tv show that hung around "Rudy's" of all the god-awful places).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads