• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

CcGame

Reaction score
In my opinion, it's always good to carry a solid black grenadine necktine but other than that, you should base the neckties on your wardrobe/taste. Classic ties usually don't offend, just a thought.

Mark49

Reaction score
quick question:

Louis vuitton inventeur belts: Overpriced garbage? Or a worthwhile investment?

Thanks

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SG-22
I need to buy some new ties what are the basic types/colours I need to get me started? Any 'every wardrobe should one' style ties I should be looking at?

Thanks

Sam Hober has a great selection of classic ties, in particular grenadines. Everyone who has bought one on this forum seems to recommend him and a navy grenadine will go with just about any outfit. I also have a few nice woven silks from Charles Tyrwhitt where you can get solids, spots, stripes and patterns in some nice colour combos and they have a nice full thickness to them. Make sure you don't pay full retail they are like JAB always having sales.

thexfactor

Reaction score
quick question:

Can i wear a tie like this casually at night with no jacket? Loose tie unbuttoned top button, dress pants, belt dress shoes?I'm 22. How do I fix my outfit?

Thanks

style1.jpg

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
You can do whatever you want, but ties are made to be worn with the top button buttoned and look most appropriate with a jacket on. So if this is casual, you should just skip the tie.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Julius Butler
Can you cut the sleeves of a shirt to turn the shirt from long sleeves to short sleeves?

It's a simple enough job for a seamstress but begs the question, why would you?

You won't get much love for short sleeved dress shirts (= oxymoron) on this board despite what Ian Fleming and the literary James Bond liked to wear.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thexfactor
quick question:

Can i wear a tie like this casually at night with no jacket? Loose tie unbuttoned top button, dress pants, belt dress shoes?I'm 22. How do I fix my outfit?

Thanks

style1.jpg

The problem with your outfit is it looks a bit "high-school emo kid at the school dance". I would suggest not wearing black dress shirts. They are tacky. Swap the black one, for a white, or light blue button up. Tie optional, however if you opt for one go with a repp stripe tie. Also, belts with those big metal clasp things in the front like you are wearing are very immature. Get a belt that is about 1" to 1.25" wide with a normal buckle.

veganjosh

Reaction score
How dangerous is it to go to an unknown tailor? I live in a small city in upstate NY (Ithaca) and can't find any reputable data on tailors --- the closest SF-approved people are 100 miles away. I've got two nice blazers that need the sleeves shortened dramatically, including an Ervell blazer with real button holes (so it'll have to be taken up at the shoulder). Am I risking my stuff getting ruined if I bring it to a local shop? Anything I can say to them to maximize the chance of success?

tornadic

Reaction score
I'm looking for a shoe similar the Loake Hilton in dark brown. I ordered from Pediwear, but they informed me it was discontinued.

I'm looking for a dark brown shoe, preferably a blucher, minimal burgeoning, and a toe medallion would be nice. Shipping within the US a bonus. $300 range.

cpnxl.jpg

Thanks.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by veganjosh
How dangerous is it to go to an unknown tailor? I live in a small city in upstate NY (Ithaca) and can't find any reputable data on tailors --- the closest SF-approved people are 100 miles away. I've got two nice blazers that need the sleeves shortened dramatically, including an Ervell blazer with real button holes (so it'll have to be taken up at the shoulder). Am I risking my stuff getting ruined if I bring it to a local shop? Anything I can say to them to maximize the chance of success?

For simple things local dry cleaners are fine, but taking a sleeve up at the shoulder is a big job. I would go in with it and ask them if they are comfortable doing it. I have had seamstresses turn me down before. If they say they can make sure they mark the sleeve pitch correctly and stress that the wading in the sleeveheads remain original.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tornadic
I'm looking for a shoe similar the Loake Hilton in dark brown. I ordered from Pediwear, but they informed me it was discontinued.

I'm looking for a dark brown shoe, preferably a blucher, minimal burgeoning, and a toe medallion would be nice. Shipping within the US a bonus. $300 range.

cpnxl.jpg

Thanks.

Try looking at www.herringshoes.co.uk

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tornadic
Thanks, but it looks like they only have the mid brown as well.

But there might be some other shoes there that are similar in the same price range.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to GQ: "Always take your diploma; never hang it unless you're practicing something that requires a license. "

Aw man.
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads