• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

j. peterman: how do you shop drawings?

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recently found new-to-me retailer J. Peterman ( http://www.jpeterman.com/ ) and while I like their pitch, I can't get past the fact that there are only drawings of their products on their site. While I would agree that it adds a warm, old-world style vibe to the site, not having real-world pictures is a turn off. I'd probably feel OK buying some of their offerings by other recognizable manufacturers (SAB, etc.), but anything else I just can't bring myself to do it.

For those that have purchased their in-house offerings, how did they match up to the drawings?

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score
I would argue it doesn't matter so much how close to the drawings they are (which in my experience they are very close), but rather how your expectations are met when the product is delivered.

They sell Romanticism and hard to find items that inspire - their pitch is you'll be the only one with this hard to find item.

lureynol

Reaction score
I have several of their items, and they've always matched the drawings perfectly.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Originally Posted by lureynol
I have several of their items, and they've always matched the drawings perfectly.
Could you post some drawings of you wearing them?

laugh.gif
worship.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was an early customer of JP when they launched the catalog. The quality was amazing and much of it was sourced from the best-of-the-best manufacturers around the world. (I believe that was where I was first introduced to Luciano Barbera.) Anyway as the company grew, and they took on debt to expand into retail stores they began manufacturing under their own brand name mostly in China. The fit was poor, often very baggy (often the case in direct mail---less sizing issues for heavy people) and the quality went into a decline as authentic British leather belts became lesser copies made in India or China and not those countries "best" by far. They were cheaply made to make margin. Yet, the drawings never changed.

The company has been through bankruptsy and emerged as a smaller leaner company. I ordered things and was disappointed by their quality and fit.

I still admire their romantic copy writing. That is amazing.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Found some photos here: http://factualromance.com/

Thanks for the link!

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Here we are in 2011 with a company that only displays drawings of it's wares and a corresponding website, by it's customers, is the only place to find actual pictures.

Given that as a business model, I'm shocked they are still in business. Could anyone here possibly imagine B&S with drawings only? It may be quaint, but seriously?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads