• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: Labels, heels and nail patterns - Secrets to ID the maker

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stu00a
CARUSO, 100% SURE.

I'm not saying it isn't, but it doesn't look like my Caruso labels.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Really ? IIRC the label looks just like the label on your Caruso stuff. Anyways, it is the same as the ones on my Carusos

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ Really ? IIRC the label looks just like the label on your Caruso stuff. Anyways, it is the same as the ones on my Carusos

Mine look like this:

labelwhisper.jpg

labelgrijzeflannelotr.jpg

stylenb

Reaction score
Hey,
this is my first post here but i was wondering what brand this is?

img0313k.th.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

img0314y.th.jpg

img0316u.th.jpg

img0317o.th.jpg

thanks in advance to anyone that helps
biggrin.gif

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylenb
Hey, this is my first post here but i was wondering what brand this is? thanks in advance to anyone that helps
biggrin.gif

Grenson. Most probably Rushden Collection.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IronRock
Thanks guys - off to Northamptonshire they go.....

I don't mean to spoil the party but C&J would have every right to refuse to re-craft those, they've evidently had a lot of work done on them.

twosaabs

Reaction score
Trying again to see if anyone has any ideas on the brand/manufacturer of a pair of English shoes I picked up at a local thrift shop. They're 'Country' brogues with Itshide Commando soles/heels. Took a few new pictures. Label impossible to read. Seems to be a name - possible John ?????. Name is over a logo which is either a large inverted triangle or a large V with possible writing inside. Hoped someone might recognize the writing on the inside which includes "Shoe No 7693".
Perhaps someone knows of a shoe manufacturer that numbers their shoes that way.

Any help appreciated.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by twosaabs
Trying again to see if anyone has any ideas on the brand/manufacturer of a pair of English shoes I picked up at a local thrift shop. They're 'Country' brogues with Itshide Commando soles/heels. Took a few new pictures. Label impossible to read. Seems to be a name - possible John ?????. Name is over a logo which is either a large inverted triangle or a large V with possible writing inside. Hoped someone might recognize the writing on the inside which includes "Shoe No 7693".
Perhaps someone knows of a shoe manufacturer that numbers their shoes that way.

Any help appreciated.

Whenever there is a "Shoe No" written inside the lining, that's older Cheaney. The Itshide commando may or may not be the original sold (most likely not).

twosaabs

Reaction score
Thanks, Onix,

Appreciate you're I.D. of the shoes as old Cheaneys. Hadn't occurred to me that the soles/heels may be replacements. Actually the Commandos don't show much wear. One curiousity - would replacements have been sewn on? Are Itshide Commandos always sewn on (as opposed to Vibram which is often cemented on)? My recollection of shoemakers in the NY area - even going back as a kid - was that replacement soles were cemented on. Is the fact that these are sewn on still consistent with them likely being replacement heel/soles?

Thanks again for your help identifying these.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by twosaabs
Thanks, Onix, Appreciate you're I.D. of the shoes as old Cheaneys. Hadn't occurred to me that the soles/heels may be replacements. Actually the Commandos don't show much wear. One curiousity - would replacements have been sewn on? Are Itshide Commandos always sewn on (as opposed to Vibram which is often cemented on)? My recollection of shoemakers in the NY area - even going back as a kid - was that replacement soles were cemented on. Is the fact that these are sewn on still consistent with them likely being replacement heel/soles? Thanks again for your help identifying these.
Replacement can be sewn on. In fact, all Itshide soles I have seen are sewn on. Here is a pair of C&J I had (now sold) that have Itshide replacement sole. C&J never had Itshide soles on this model (Westminster).
IMG_8064.JPG
IMG_8071.JPG
To see if it's original sole or replacement sole, pay attention to the welt stitching (on top of the sole), if they're uneven and have additional holes that should not have been there, then they're most likely to be replacement soles.

twosaabs

Reaction score
The stitching on top of the welt actually looks even and original. Curious! Great information, I would never have thought to look closely at the stitching on top of the welt.

Thanks, again. Onix.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lddYA.jpg
Hey there. I'm hoping someone can identify the maker/year of these vintage English longwings. They appear to be made for Vaughn at Sather Gate, a Berkeley store known for providing shoes for many famous noir films. The numbers inside read as follows: 8 1/2 D......45087 4 UK............6776 B Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

twosaabs

Reaction score
Does anyone know who manufactured shoes sold as 'David and Joan Couture' - made in Italy and /or anything about they're relative quality.

I have a never been worn pair that I purchased new some time ago - not sure what I was thinking since they're too narrow for my feet. They're quite nice. I want to list them for sale - Hoping to get more info. about them to put in my listing.

I do know that Joan and David (Halpern) were the original owners and, I believe, designers of their company which was eventually sold. Any info. would be appreciated

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads