• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We should actually have "Rules and Tips for Thrifting" thread pinned on the MC page . Still, the amount of knowledge and the span of labels/makers you'll see from reading all 800 pages of this thread will vastly surpass the amount of info you'll get from a handful of bullet points on a pinned thread. My advice, sit down for a hour or two with a good cigar and read as much as possible, then repeat as time allows until you're up to date in this thread.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
If you are looking to flip then you need to do tons and tons of research FIRST before buying. If not, you will start off in the hole. If thrifting is a hobby and you buy for yourself only (like me), then you can afford to make mistakes . . . sort of.

As mainy said a few pages back, dont always go by name. Gotta go by quality. HOw do you know? By touch, feel, and etc. How do you know how to touch and feel and etc? By research.

look whos talking
peepwall[1].gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matstyleku
So I started reading the last 100 pages of this thread realized how much of an *ss I was being by posting the same questions others have had for a long time. I will now proceed to read the other 700 pages and will post back once I've done that and took another shot at thrifting.

On that note, is there a thread or a way to get this information on the first page of this thread or something? It just seems that the same stuff gets asked a lot, which is a sign the placement of the information isn't very clear.

Was this thrift in the burbs?
If so, I think I have passed on everything you bought....tell me thats your size?

gdwy89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dahl5yankees
(PS- some of the photos posted yesterday and today are hideous.
It felt like I went to the thrift store and looked through terrible items.
Sorry)

Surely that doesn't include my lovely Chaps Ralph Lauren hunting shirt jacket...

Thanks for all the replies about the jacket and the bike everyone. My bike is in fact a Ross, not a Rose, and according to Bike Forum (go figure) it's probably not worth keeping around.

matstyleku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Was this thrift in the burbs? If so, I think I have passed on everything you bought....tell me thats your size?
The only thing my size in terms of the shirts was the BB GF Tuxedo shirt, the Dior and another shirt I bought by joespeh and lyman. One BB's will fit my brother, so will probably give to him. the other, I just found some holes in the arm I didn't see when I inspected in the store, really random place for them, but o well. I do think we are in the same area, although I saw that you are from farther north than I am when I was trying to see where to thrift in the north shore. Anyways, maybe we can meet up sometime this week or next and you are able to show me the ropes or something. I have these two weeks off to work on my motorcycle and other random things but after that it will be a rare thing for me to do since I will be really heavy with work next month and then out of the country for 2 months, after which I start my medical residency and will probably be moving out of the area, haha.

Expressions Realia

Reaction score
Some things include

-J. Press Linen Travel Trouser (Sand) $8
- Polo RL Herringbone Trouser (Caramel/chocolate pattern) $15
-Vintage Lew Ritter Herringbone Blazer (Dark brown) $8
-Vintage Cooper A2 Bomber Jacket $6

List goes on, but those are the most recent. Most needed only minor alteration.
A college student has to be shop smart y'know?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is really worthless without pics.
teacha.gif

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mistermidwester
Here's one of the two pairs of Levi's I found the other day. For you denim-heads.
levis5011.jpg

Those aren't as old as at least I think you thought they were. 1873 + "over 130 years" means that they're at least since 2003. Decent enough if they're your size, but hardly denim nut collectible. Hardly the 70s or 80s jeans I remember somebody claiming they found. Also, if Levis guidelines are accurate (never tried STFs, so I don't know if they are), those will end up somewhere around a 29w/27l. Good luck finding a buyer for that size.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Brioni suit I found last Saturday. On top of the big buzz just from finding it, I was rapt that it is a 42R. I was a 47R before Christmas. All I need to do with this is shorten the hems and it's good to go, I think.
5447049787_49a7cabd25.jpg
The pure cashmere Brioni jacket. Again a 42R, fits beautifully. The photo makes it look a bit tight; I think that's just my posture.
5447091675_aa1540bdc4.jpg
BTW I'm also wearing the BB GF shirt I found in these pics.

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mistermidwester
Here's one of the two pairs of Levi's I found the other day. For you denim-heads.

levis5011.jpg

looks like you found some NOS levis, the pre-2008 ones where the 501's were literally worthless, the thighs were super baggy and ill fitting.

glad they slimmed them down recently, but their still big!

j.crew did a good job of making the selvedge salt soaked ones, but then again are 4X the going rate of the standard 501XX stf's

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Actually, I'd disagree with both of you guys and say that these are indeed older. Did you see the date on the tag: 1982.

There were actually about 5 other pairs in the same bundle as these, and they all had dates on their tag (1981, 1982, 1985, 1986, 1993, and 1997). The two from the 90s were much different in styling, and the one from 1997 obviously started using the Levis URL as well. I snagged the two earliest pairs.

Also, the thighs are not that big. The pictures may make it look that way, but these are laid out flat. I measured them out (from just below the crotch seam) and they're 17" in diameter.

Lastly, wasn't the founding date of Levi Strauss and Co. 1853? So... 1853 + 130 = 1983 (close enough, I guess).

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Also, if Levis guidelines are accurate (never tried STFs, so I don't know if they are), those will end up somewhere around a 29w/27l. Good luck finding a buyer for that size.
They're going to Japan.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
The Brioni suit I found last Saturday.

On top of the big buzz just from finding it, I was rapt that it is a 42R. I was a 47R before Christmas. All I need to do with this is shorten the hems and it's good to go, I think.

5447049787_49a7cabd25.jpg

The pure cashmere Brioni jacket. Again a 42R, fits beautifully. The photo makes it look a bit tight; I think that's just my posture.

5447091675_aa1540bdc4.jpg

BTW I'm also wearing the BB GF shirt I found in these pics.

Congrats on the weight loss. I helped out my younger buddy and he went from 255 to 205 within a 4 month time period.

The brionis look great especially the brown. I've been looking for a nice brown one for yrs. There's a lil too much break for me on the trousers though.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads