• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Abuse Me for being an English Major (Then Suggest Something Better)

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good for you on going back to school Magi. After getting laid off a few months ago and 5 years since I was in school, I decided to go back this semester. With the 18 units I'm taking this semester and 18 each of the next 2 semesters, I'll have that Finance degree. My advice would be to find something you like and pursue it for those reasons. You don't want to be the person that chose to go one way because of the pay/market demand to realize 10 years from now that you hate your profession.

forStyle

Reaction score
biology and chemistry. the math isn't intensive. great exit ops.

wetnose

Reaction score
Ever thought of being a court reporter? Supposedly it's pretty good money...plus your courses in English become an asset.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I can guarantee that this is not the case.

If you want to speak better than most 'murkans, then all you have to do is read some decent books. That will up your register and comprehension.

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaaha

It wasn't an entirely serious or considered suggestion, but why is this so ridiculous?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dwyhajlo
It wasn't an entirely serious or considered suggestion, but why is this so ridiculous?

I think he is teasing me for my past interest in amateur psycho-pharmacology.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
hey Magi, how come you haven't answered any of the questions about what you are interested in/good at?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
hey Magi, how come you haven't answered any of the questions about what you are interested in/good at?
Originally Posted by Magician
I think he is teasing me for my past interest in amateur psycho-pharmacology.
teacha.gif

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the advice, have been really busy. I think I'm a good writer and good at technical areas of art like draftsmanship - which is why I'm thinking something like product design or furniture design might be very appealing.

I've tried graphic design and found it really wasn't for me so I guess that's not an option.

I'm not opposed to doing a science or math related major except for the fact that calculus and above (as well as physics) is very difficult to me and I have no computer or programming background (beyond basic use) at the age of 21.

My day job when I took off school was working as a salesman for Barney's in DC and there were parts of it I really enjoyed and thought I was really good it. I think I have good people skills and networking abilities. Basically the essence of my conflict is that I want to get a good, professional career out of college but still want it to be in a creative field - almost out of my ineptness at "hard" science more than anything else.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You should investigate changing the location of your further education and enroll at a German university and learn German.

As native speaker and English major you can easily continue there and at the same time begin to learn German. The Germans are pleased if someone like you decides to study and especially if you want to learn German. Germany encourages foreign students.

Thus you can see Europe and deepen your horizon.

English is the contemporary language of the outer world - you should look at the writings of Owen Barfield, whose German translator is a professor for English in Germany (I believe his name is Elmar Schenkel:http://www.uni-leipzig.de/~literatu/...b_schenkel.htm - I see his birthday is August 28th - the same month and day as Goethe) and German is the language of the inner world, even if most Germans don't know it and misunderstood their role to hurt themselves and everybody else.

You will see later you needed to expand your mind and get to know yourself and the world. If you have initiative, your destiny will present you with the work you fear you won't find.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How about marketing or advertising? Take a minor in business, or another major in business. It is not a great time for looking for jobs in these areas right now, but your skills could be of great use to a marketing or ad firm. Some of those guys rake in a ton of money too. I am sure when you are finished with your degree the economy will be a bit better.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend Benjamin (also a poster on this forum) went to grad school in germany and was really happy with his experience.

I understand there are similar good educational opportunities in France and seeing how I have a bit of French and no German I'd probably go for that sooner. This is something I've been thinking about too.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My day job when I took off school was working as a salesman for Barney's in DC and there were parts of it I really enjoyed and thought I was really good it. I think I have good people skills and networking abilities. Basically the essence of my conflict is that I want to get a good, professional career out of college but still want it to be in a creative field - almost out of my ineptness at "hard" science more than anything else.
How about something like tech sales then? You could try studying CIS, which is more oriented towards broad concepts (and business) instead of math or hardcore programming.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matt22616
my experience was that it prepared me for higher level critical analysis required in almost any non-technical profession.

almost any field really. The number of ******* science grads (I'm one) who can't actually think for themselves is ridiculous. Especially in biology, which is meant to be rapidly changing. stuff from a textbook 5 years old is usually wrong, don't know why they think it's ok to rote teach ****.

Originally Posted by forStyle
biology and chemistry. the math isn't intensive. great exit ops.

I appreciate the advice, have been really busy. I think I'm a good writer and good at technical areas of art like draftsmanship - which is why I'm thinking something like product design or furniture design might be very appealing.

I've tried graphic design and found it really wasn't for me so I guess that's not an option.

I'm not opposed to doing a science or math related major except for the fact that calculus and above (as well as physics) is very difficult to me and I have no computer or programming background (beyond basic use) at the age of 21.

My school offers Bioscience Enterprise. Basically students do the 3 year undergrad biology degree (which is ******* easy, you could definitely do it) and then a 1 year postgrad diploma in marketing the biotechnology ideas. Does that interest you?

also, you would not be inept at science

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads