• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
A few denim questions here:

I have a pair of Levis for BR 501 and a pair of APC NS. I haven't soaked them, washed them, dry cleaned them AT ALL. The NS are starting to show minimal fades but nothing like some of the fades I see in this subforum. Granted I don't wear them everyday, but have worn the BR at least 3-4 times a week (some weeks more some weeks less) since I got them the day they were released (late August/early Sept), and the NS are 3 years old. What am I doing wrong? The NS have been hemmed a touch and I have just taken the BR to my tailor for him to shorten them as well (was wearing em with 2" double cuffs and it was starting to look a bit sloppy).

Second, I see the Naked and Famous and looking at their Slim Guy Elephant and was wondering what size to go with and where I can buy them online (also where in Brooklyn (if possible) or Manhattan I can go to try them on. I wear a 33 in the Billy Reids, and my APC NS are a 30, but I could also get away with a 29 as my NS have to be worn with a belt.

Thanks.

Minimal fades after 3 years for the NS? You might not be wearing them enough, or you might not be active enough in them when you do wear them. I don't know anything about the Levi's for BR 501s. Are they raw?

If you are a 29 in the APC, you would most likely be a 29 or 30 in the N&F Slim Guy.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey NYR, you nattily dressed mofo, hook up your Brooklyn Brethren: I have a sportcoat with working buttons on the sleeves: where can I get the sleeves shortened (well) in Brooklyn?

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, has anyone successfully had their tailor take in the sleeves of a jacket with working cuffs? Or is it pretty much impossible? And, just to clarify, by "taking in" I mean slimming not hemming.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by about11oclock
Hey NYR, you nattily dressed mofo, hook up your Brooklyn Brethren: I have a sportcoat with working buttons on the sleeves: where can I get the sleeves shortened (well) in Brooklyn?

pmed you but figured the rest could benefit...Ercoles on 13th does GREAT work, and can shorten them from the shoulders. They've done for me on a few coats.

rdstour

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of suede boots and I want to weatherproof them, and I've decided a silicon spray isn't going to cut it. I want to use some sort of wax product or obenauf's lp etc, does anyone have any recommendations? I know this option will change the suede somewhat and I don't mind that since I'd rather wear these come rain or shine. I just want a product that will make my shoes look decent, and protected. Thanks

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a final round interview tomorrow. The first time I went, I wore a charcoal gray suit with a white shirt and red tie. Tomorrow, I'm planning on wearing the same suit but a gray shirt and silver tie. It works, but I'm afraid it may be too 'clubby' and not conservative enough -- mainly because of the silver tie.

Should I just wear the red tie again?

kife

Reaction score
does anyone know anything about this engineered garments jacket? like what season its from?

IMG_0882.jpg

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suggestions for a long sleeve navy and white nautical striped shirt? Not St. James, the fit on those is pretty terrible.

BRMC_doves

Reaction score
Cheap alternative to Red Wing GT's? Something w/ a slightly smaller heel though. I really love those W+H I keep seeing in B&S but way too much for me ATM.
Any suggestions? My budget is only around $150...need something to pair with my recent purchase of a TOJ DR. Thanks in advance.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
I have a final round interview tomorrow. The first time I went, I wore a charcoal gray suit with a white shirt and red tie. Tomorrow, I'm planning on wearing the same suit but a gray shirt and silver tie. It works, but I'm afraid it may be too 'clubby' and not conservative enough -- mainly because of the silver tie.

Should I just wear the red tie again?

Yes. Silver is a poor choice except for clubs and weddings.

Originally Posted by K. Nights
Suggestions for a long sleeve navy and white nautical striped shirt? Not St. James, the fit on those is pretty terrible.

APC did some last spring if you can find them.

Originally Posted by BRMC_doves
Cheap alternative to Red Wing GT's? Something w/ a slightly smaller heel though. I really love those W+H I keep seeing in B&S but way too much for me ATM.
Any suggestions? My budget is only around $150...need something to pair with my recent purchase of a TOJ DR. Thanks in advance.

Nah man don't do it, take that 150 and put it into your "boots I really want fund", then buy the ones you want when your fund is full. Boots are supposed to last you years and years, don't spend over a hundred dollars to settle for something.

Rallen

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to buy this asymmetrical zip hoodie from De Karma?
aysm.jpg

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if a garment has some percentage of wool in it, should i be worried about moth holes?

or do they only eat 100% wool garments
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads