• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PorterInjax
Very nice pair of Ravello wingtip boots on the bay for $650, size 9D. No affiliation

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alden-Ravello-Sh...#ht_500wt_1156

too bad its not 8.5d ... thats the one boot i want!!! epaulets version doesnt have the speed lacing hooks
frown.gif

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
too bad its not 8.5d ... thats the one boot i want!!! epaulets version doesnt have the speed lacing hooks
frown.gif

I have Alden wingtip boots with speed hooks and without. I really thought I would like the "without" better but after use, speed hooks are the way to go, for me at least.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PorterInjax
I have Alden wingtip boots with speed hooks and without. I really thought I would like the "without" better but after use, speed hooks are the way to go, for me at least.
yeah i refuse to buy any of the alden boots without the speed hooks ... ive gotten too use to them and cant imagine without. i have to wait till shoemart gets a restock and just buy theirs

QTime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
The black part of the saddle shoe is shell cordovan.
Well, black shell isn´t a huge thing either (especially in homeopathic dosage). Nevermind.

cfull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tuco
Can anyone i.d. this boot or know who has it?

Its the 404. I had a pair for about 2 days. (nice boot, i just got it too small)

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tuco
Can anyone i.d. this boot or know who has it?

Exactly, it is the 404 and is a stock model you can buy from any Alden retailer.

Tuco

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys, is the 404 the one that is truly dark brown and not the brick-brown color?

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Tuco;4126927 said:
Thanks a lot guys, is the 404 the one that is truly dark brown and not the brick-brown color?[/QUOTE

The 404 is dark brown Kudu leather with a lug sole, the 403 is dark brown chromexcel leather with the standard sole. Go to www.theshoemart.com, and search on each model number to see clear pictures. (The 405 is the brick-brown original model)

triumphman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dport86
As asked above, are they doing another run of these? Listed as sold out on the website. I have the brown ones and beware, in person they are much redder--more typical chromexcel. Not quite 80's Timberland lug boots but not as rich/deep as the pictures. You can darken them up with Obenauf's though. I posted some real life shots back in Nov. or Dec. in this thread. That said, would still love another pair in black. Originally didn't pull the trigger b/c the black was lady-calf, so much softer and prone to wrinkling. Someone recently sold a black used pair on Ebay for $25 less than new, so suspecting these may be sold out.

that would be me who picked up the black tankers. shoes were pretty much new, and @ $450 was a good price compared to $495 plus shipping.

Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Great point. Men in their 50s-70s are still buying but now their sons and grandsons are also buying. Ex-sneakerheads are looking for something new to collect. My customer base ranges from 15-75.

15 year olds should not be wearing Aldens...

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triumphman
15 year olds should not be wearing Aldens...

We had a 17 year old come in with his Mom and buy a pair of John Lobbs last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads