• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any experience with Synovia Waxless Leather Shoe Polish

rfranca

Reaction score
I asked my wife (during her trip to the USA) to bring me some product to clean my leather shoes.
I suggested Meltonian All Purpose Cleaner or kiwi Leather Lotion (the only 2 brands I know).

Since I use kiwi polish paste to polish my shoes, I was looking mostly for a cleanser and not a polish.

Since she didn´t find what I was looking for she brought the Synovia Waxless Leather Shoe Polish
So, does anyone have any opinion on this product and if it´s a good option for cleaning my shoes (i.e removing the build up polish etc) before a I polish them?

Here is a link to the product
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/synovia-...polish/2865095

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Likely to be silicone heavy.

rfranca

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
Likely to be silicone heavy.

I suppose that´s bad (?)
puzzled.gif

ktrp

Reaction score
Silicon is an excellent short term protector for shoes, and probably chews up the leather in the long term. People buying shoes to wear and not care for, then throw out, love it. If you have better shoes you hope to have last, stay away.

Second, what exactly are you hoping to get? You allready use kiwi polish (which is fine) which is building up a layer of protective polish. It sounds to me that what you are missing is a cleaner/conditioner, which will help clean the shoes but also keep the leather supple. A 'waxless polish' is certainly not a conditioner.

You also mention 'removing build up of polish'. That is a different type of product again, I believe acetone based. This is not something you do on a very regular basis.

If you need a conditioner, Saphir Renovateur is highly recommended here, but I've never used it. Lexol is apparently a fairly easily available lower cost product that would work. I'm currently using some Allan Edmonds cleaner/conditioner I was sold before I knew anything about conditioners, but which I've since learned is decent, although I don't know if its a good buy or not.

rfranca

Reaction score
I see,
now I get it.
I fell that what I really need is a cleaner/conditioner which was my original request.

I was trying to figure out if the Synovia would do the job. By the answers I figure it won´t.

And I guess I was to hasty with the idea of polish build up, since these shoes are quite new.

thanks for the answers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads