• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

its299792458mps

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HalfCanvas
Regarding your statement that "dress pants are more comfortable." I don't think that necessarily has to be the case. For example, I have some RRL straight leg jeans which have a nice slim line but a longer rise; I don't find them uncomfortable in the least. And even dark denim can take a pretty good beating, and so they are "more comfortable" than dress pants in the sense that you'll never have to worry about whether someone is spilling some beer on you, etc.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about, by the way: http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,2036...769074,00.html It seems to me that this would walk a happy medium between what you are wearing right now and what a well dressed, stylish college student might wear.

I was just looking at that picture. I'll also look into those jeans.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by its299792458mps
CIMG1107.jpg

Im 20 and id make fun of your way of dress, but only because it looks like trendy mall style so basically the complete opposite of your peers lul but im not sure why your asking here. If you don't like being made fun off change your style or be a man and dress however you damn well please . Don't ***** and moan like all the men that post stupid threads on how their boss told them they wear to much color or a girl on the subway said that they looked like their dad.

Newlaw

Reaction score
You look like you are trying very hard for a 20 year old. People are giving you good advice... If what you wear makes you feel self conscious, then dress down. Go into S&W and see what some of those guys are wearing. Quality jeans and a jacket can look young while at the same time giving you the "hip young professor" look.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not just lose the waistcoat and tie, and then you'll look like 99% of most people that don't wear jeans and tee shirts, which is to say, normal. I'm not sure why the solution is to keep the vest and add jeans to that. Looks ridiculous.

intellx

Reaction score
Same age here, but I'm not attending a university. I dress for myself the majority of the time, however I've found myself dressing down at times to fit in with friends and such. When you have the mindset that you possess, it's hard to do casual, but one of the important aspects about being sartorially inclined is being able to do all styles well. A well put together casual look is equally as classy and impressive as a a 3pc when placed in the right environment.

Best advice I can give you is do jeans/sportcoat more often to compromise with your current situation and break out the suit whenever the situation calls for it.

One of the best things I ever did was finding a girl that shared the same appreciation for fashion as myself and enjoyed dressing up. I do business casual the majority of the time, but we make it a priority to enjoy a nice evening out at a good restaurant/show/theatre/etc. once or twice a week. When you surround yourself with friends who dress similar or can appreciate your style, chances are you won't give a **** about the other people who are likely envious of the way you dress. Style is very, very intimidating to most men.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem isn't the clothes.

You look young. The combination of looking young for your age and the clothes ends up off key.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
The problem isn't the clothes.
You look young. The combination of looking young for your age and the clothes ends up off key.

I agree, the combination is what's throwing it off, the clothes look like something a middle aged man would wear (nothing wrong with that). A 3pc suit is great at a nice occasion or a nice dinner, but not at school. I actually think what you are wearing is fine but not for everyday casual. Try a dress shirt with some nice jeans and you'll look legit. You can keep the sport coat too and still come out on top (tie maybe too much).
Good luck!

PS: Much respect for being a physics major!

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a few other posters have indicated, you need to dress your age and role, and dress to match your surroundings. I'm in a client facing role, and one of the advice that's consistently given to junior analysts is that you need to dress similar to the client, but a notch above.

The idea is that if the client is in jeans and t-shirts, you wear khakis and a polo shirt. If the client is in khakis and a polo shirt, you wear slacks and a dress shirt. If the client is in slacks and a dress shirt, you throw on a blazer/sport coat and/or a tie. If the client wears a jacket and/or a tie, you wear a suit. If the client is in a suit, you dress as conservatively as possible.

This is good advice for anyone who interacts with peers in an advisory role -- including TFs. At the end of the day, the students are your peers, and you should dress a notch above them. Of course, it's up to you to decide what that notch is, since they are your peers after all.

If most of your students are in jeans and t-shirts with sneakers, just wear jeans and a nice OCBD with loafers.

At the end of the day, it also depends on your school and surroundings. If you must ask...

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its not that youre overdressed

its that youre dressed poorly and void of style

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
The idea is that if the client is in jeans and t-shirts, you wear khakis and a polo shirt. If the client is in khakis and a polo shirt, you wear slacks and a dress shirt. If the client is in slacks and a dress shirt, you throw on a blazer/sport coat and/or a tie. If the client wears a jacket and/or a tie, you wear a suit. If the client is in a suit, you dress as conservatively as possible.

I had my fingers cross that this was gonna end in a tailcoat. On that subject, and relevant again to this thread. You don't wanna be the guy in a tailcoat when the other guy is in BDUs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcnH_...eature=related (skip to 3:00)

SyntheticAnt

Reaction score
Came here to ask a similar question. I'm in pretty much the same boat and would definitely say that in your case you should tone it down just a notch. I'm the same age and currently at a pretty prestigious university, where a fair number of kids have money and like to dress up a bit. Even here very few students (TA's included) wear blazers often or a tie to classes.

I definitely support the advice given here, as I can say firsthand that it's how a lot of people here dress up without being over the top. You'd be much better off going with a really slim fit modern look. Less pattern and more solid colours. Stick with some high quality denim instead of the trousers and save the vests for going out in the evening rather than daytime wear. I usually opt for dark or black denim jeans and a dress shirt with a cardigan or v-neck sweater over top and save the blazers and ties for going out to clubs, parties, dinners, etc. Guess it probably also depends quite a bit on the school though.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liquidus
You're overdressed for a university campus. Wear some jeans and stop wearing vests imo.

This. If you dress like that on a night out with your gf, it's fine and all, but I'd laugh at you too if you turn up on campus everyday like wearing what is shown in your pic. Like others already mentioned, there's a time and place for everything. Turning up like that to class is
facepalm.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Look at the recent Friday competition. Lots of great outfits with jeans. Most would bridge the student with the professor wardrobe. Most would look great on campus (maybe not mine). Good luck.

francisl

Reaction score
Like all topics on this sort of thread I'm actually very surprised that the general consensus says that if you're young you can't dress smartly.

Just because this guy's peers are wearing Abercrombie, Hollister, that doesn't mean he has to dress down to their level? Compare yourself only to the best, never to the worse.

Unfortunately if your confidence is now knocked it will have a damaging effect. I overal like the outfit posted, and if people are mocking you behind your back, then so ******* what? Are you not currently *teaching* them Physics. Don't let the bloody small things get you down.

Going back to the age thing, I'm 22, and typically wear nice selvedge, shoes - oxfords or brogues, dress shirt, vneck, blazer/sports. I stop myself from the tie because I don't think its suitable, but this is because I'm a freelance self-employed writer, and it doesn't feel quite right wearing a tie at home. You actively have a job where your professional peers, I presume, will be wearing ties.

Keep it. The kids will mock anything, surely as a student yourself you should realise this. If it wasn't the tie it'd be something else. You can't be their friend and teacher.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads