• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just ignore him. He's shown an inability to participate in discourse with someone who has opposing views without needing to resort to baseless extremes.

chinoguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
lol @ style icons

quit looking up to celebs and get your own style

I thought everyone here looked up to Jet and SoCal... Ciao Carrodunga!

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
Almost no one dresses the same day to day. Are we only supposed to hate Brad Pitt on the day he wears RRL? Or what?
No you don't have to hate on - Wait wait... so... you're looking for a manual on who to feel superior to? That's what you're hoping to get out of this whole "clothing" endeavour? This is actually worse than the dude who said "let's be straight, it's all about the *****".

Is styleforum like 50% trolls at this point or what's the deal?

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
prep style icon:
joliepitt.jpg

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
English isn't even my first language and I write 99% of what I post very quickly and without re-reading to validate it makes sense and is properly written. If you think what I write is too convoluted you need to pick up the thesaurus. Are you seriously asking me to write in a more mediocre manner?

"it's a style" is a meaningless argument. Sure it is but styles are associated with certain things and generate some emotions and associations into their wearers and viewers (let's call this the "expressionism" angle) while also being a combination of textures, volumes and colours (let's call this the "formalism" angle-yeah I'm stealing from fine arts). I find the expressionist angle in preppy styles to go against my values to the point of being ideologically repugnant and the formalist angle to be stagnant, lacking in possibilities and too reliant on colour to the detriment of the other elements.

Actually yes I am. English is my second Language also (working on my 3rd). I really don't know what the hell you are talking about with expressionism and all that so I can't argue. All I am saying is a style of clothing should not be making you "repugnant" because at the end of the day do your clothes REALLY say everything about you?

cez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Can't believe we're still talking about this. Now I shall proceed to not help at all in that regard. No offense Uncontrol you already knew I don't like how you do. Like I said earlier, he's still Uncontrol. I am absolutely all for taking risks, or developing your own aesthetic (as I'm not sure I would call Uncontrol's deal "risk taking" he just operates within a different comfort zone than others). But you don't get automatic props for developing your own aesthetic if what you develop looks bad. In this instance I like the sneakers and don't mind the bag (surprisingly) but everything else - the too-tight jeans in the cheap looking (is that leopard spot?!) treatment, the gaudy chain with the ornaments serving no particular purpose besides flash, the 3 layer tank top thing in some sort of silly putty green (almost military and totally out of place) with a necklace hanging out (easiest fix, tuck that motherfucker under), the glasses which everyone has harped on, the haircut (hi Kettle what's up)... everything is just... well, Uncontrol. It's "HOLY **** LOOK AT ME" for no other discernible reason. He's always done his own thing. It's always been terrible. Doesn't change because he's a good dude in general. I like Uncontrol but I don't see how any of you people can like what he wears and if you didn't know him you'd prolly think he was trolling. If you separate the person from the clothes the clothes are still unbelievably campy, overdone, cheesily theatrical, etc. This one is less vampy and more glam rock than usual fare (I can't tell if he's wearing makeup) but it's the same basic problem in a different flavour. Granted I'd rather he post than not because, snowman effect, something might work at some point by sheer coincidence I guess. And it's better than hollister-jeans-plus-tie guy and "is this dressy casual" guy. In fact, this post is now about noobs: we should probably bump the "Waywt learning thread" and link everyone to it who posts a fit like the 3 above as a general practice, like the general practice of linking special flowers to the pinned thread. Maybe it even should be pinned. I dunno.
applause.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
bretonandcrew.jpg
Jesus. Fuuma, you might want to consider some real French intellectuals, some of the most creative, passionate, and un-bourgeois thinkers of the century...and how they dressed like what you would probably call a 'plebe'. Or a 'trad'. Or...whatever it is you need to make yourself feel worthwhile.
eh.gif
Discerning. I mean, Holy Jesus-self-deluding-Christ, man.

Your post is wrong on almost every level an affirmation can possibly be. 1) Most/all french intellectuals are not authorities on dressing, you probably know about the mindset in many academic circles that caring about appearances is detrimental to the life of the mind, it was waaay more common in decades past. 2) This picture is pretty old, right? It illustrates how people were dressing at some point, which is often the problem with many current styles. I am usually discussing how people dress now. I'm certainly not blaming James Dean for this mess. 3) Nice appeal to authority. 4) I wear and own suits, dress shirts, ties and dress shoes, hell I own many dinner jackets. I didn't even discuss "dressy" style here. French intellectuals (of which there are many so this is pretty meaningless) generally do not dress in preppy styles because preppy is a typically American thing and fashion wasn't as internationalized as it is now. Same for trad BTW (yeah for some the two intersect) 5) Let's be real here I'm not saying wearing pricey designer **** is a revolutionary gesture, I said I disliked preppy style because 1) it connotes things I hate 2) it isn't formally interesting to look at (i.e. it sucks on an aesthetic level 6) I don't call people plebes or whatever, don't pin this **** on me, am I the guy who posted his shopping receipts?. I don't judge someone's character by how they dress but I sure as **** will judge the taste of people on fashion forums who I think don't dress well and discuss fashion in a stupid way. 7) Hell I've posted several times on places like SZ about how that whole "I relate to the clothing/designer and I've been into it for a long time blabla so I look better in it/more authentic" is bullshit. Some models dress the way a stylist want them to and look amazing. How you look is mainly how you look but it can certainly help to triangulate a certain amount of information about you, especially when you see someone dressed over a certain period of time (well undressed gives some good info too :p ) You were trying to twist my words to fit your second-rate critique, nice try.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No you don't have to hate on - Wait wait... so... you're looking for a manual on who to feel superior to? That's what you're hoping to get out of this whole "clothing" endeavour? ...Is styleforum like 50% trolls at this point or what's the deal?

No, you misunderstand. I find this attitude equally weird/appalling. I was just asking for a little more insight into the hater mentality, for lack of a better term. From here it looks like two kinds of people (Fuuma, chinoguy) on opposite sides of the fence -- completely unaware that they are basically, ideologically, the same.

chinoguy

Reaction score
No, you misunderstand. I find this attitude equally weird/appalling. I was just asking for a little more insight into the hater mentality, for lack of a better term. From here it looks like two kinds of people (Fuuma, chinoguy) on opposite sides of the fence -- completely unaware that they are basically, ideologically, the same.

Noobizor, you have my support.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Fuuma why do you even bother

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
This is actually worse than the dude who said "let's be straight, it's all about the *****".

Is styleforum like 50% trolls at this point or what's the deal?

Jesus, the guy with "Snooki" under his name can't take joke. That happen a while ago and to still remember that?

Why else would you dress to texturize and show off your expressionist angle......?
smile.gif

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I said I disliked preppy style because 1) it connotes things I hate

Please explain why we should live (or that SF should operate) according to your own subjective standards. And poorly-thought-out standards, I'd argue. Those connotations are extremely outdated. It's like saying we should not use certain words because of their Old English meanings. It's like the dippy grad student who eschews khakis because of they're like, military, and like, a symbol of the patriarchy...man.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RegisDB9
Jesus, the guy with "Snooki" under his name can't take joke. That happen a while ago and to still remember that?
It is "sookie" and it is a reference to true blood and was put there by a moderator to make fun of me for dressing like a vampire this one time. Someone photoshopped Bill's head onto me. I still say that fit worked. Wanna fight about it? No but for serious I couldn't recall which newb posted that but if it was you, trust me, you are FAR from the first to do so. Also if you were really joking I don't understand why you're still trying to implicitly defend that justification by asking what other reason there is to care what you're wearing.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RegisDB9

Why else would you dress to texturize and show off your expressionist angle......?
smile.gif

"Sookie"
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads