• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TDP
A naïf's question: I have a flannel double-breasted jacket, with two rear vents, which is too wide at the skirt. Can a tailor take it in?

Yep.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pieceofsand
My actual chest size is 34-34.5 As far as selecting sports coat I should go with a size 36 or a 34? I notice there are size 34 on some sites. Thanks.
34. I am a 36 and my actual chest size is 36".

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My actual chest size is 34-34.5 As far as selecting sports coat I should go with a size 36 or a 34? I notice there are size 34 on some sites. Thanks.
My actual chest size (no shirt) is 37", but a 38 is too tight around the shoulder blades for me. I end up getting a 40 and having it tailored down to something closer to a 39. You're probably better off with a 36. No chance of trying on both sizes before purchasing?

RyanAnderson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyanAnderson
I'm looking to pick up some sport coats and I can't find much in my size/price range. I'm skinny and wear a size 36. Other than Brooks Bros. where can I find decent SCs in the sub $500 range?

People seriously can't/won't help with this?

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
My actual chest size (no shirt) is 37", but a 38 is too tight around the shoulder blades for me. I end up getting a 40 and having it tailored down to something closer to a 39. You're probably better off with a 36. No chance of trying on both sizes before purchasing?
I'm a pretty slender guy but with somewhat of a pretty board shoulder. Almost 18" I notice on top of 34 size are hard to find, their shoulder usually doesn't fit. I've bought a SC from Goodwill that claims to be 34, and it seem to be a 34 but there is no way to be sure, Goodwill does know how to measure their coats. I've got a size 40 before and it was tag 34.
!C!LCj2wCWk~$(KGrHqUOKm4Ez7W1e0MtBNB8-bswC!~~0_12.JPG
What do you guys think of this coat? Ugly? Too much? Okay? Need some input. It's a size 36 and with a 18 shoulder.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyanAnderson
People seriously can't/won't help with this?

I went to my local Men's apparel store and I was told that I could get a Bespoke SC for around $450. I'd look into that if I were you.

Hans Cater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
A businessman will match his sock to his trouser color.
A gentleman will match his socks to his mood.

This is quite an interesting view. I'd rather match my sock to my shoes. In fact I have a sock for a shoe or rather many almost the same of socks for particular shoe.

CcGame

Reaction score
Hey, this is my first time posting on SF. I just had a quick question, I'm was offered Ralph Lauren Black Label Safari Shirt for $63, they're brand new and comes with tags. I was just wondering if it was worth it and how it'd fit. The pockets are what's off putting me atm.

Wesley Bills

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RatherAnOddball
Oh, here's another:

I saw a Seinfeld the other day where Jerry's new suede jacket was destroyed by snow. I've never owned suede anything before, but was hoping to get some suede shoes - is it true that even a modest amount of moisture will make them spotty? If not, where does the idea come from that it will?

I think it might be right. I have never own one of my own before but knows a friend that did and he confirm that moisture is not a friend of suede anything. Be it suede shoe or suede whatever.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this coat? Ugly? Too much? Okay? Need some input.
Just my opinion: I don't like it, but I think it would look nicer if the broader stripes matched the thinness of the others. Those thicker stripes make the jacket look clumsier to my eye.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hans Cater
This is quite an interesting view. I'd rather match my sock to my shoes. In fact I have a sock for a shoe or rather many almost the same of socks for particular shoe.

You should never match your socks to your shoes.

wat?

Reaction score

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wat?
Anybody know the elasticity or stretch difference between Nudie jeans: High Kai and Tight long john?!?! So lets say I buy, tight long john black http://shop.nudiejeans.com/system/se...?id=982&rnum=6 and I WEAR (I own these) High Kai black black http://shop.nudiejeans.com/system/se...c=122&g=0&b=20, are the elasticity/ stretch the same are is one more tight than the other?? Other than the waist and such, are they practically the same? Thank you...

Ask this in the Streewear & Demin forum, this forum is for dressier clothes.

rtb178

Reaction score
repost. Would love a little help, just a bit lost. Can someone give me a place for a primer on summer-weight clothing?

Originally Posted by rtb178
Where would one look for good value off-the-rack summer weight pants and jackets (linen, mohair, but I guess also lightweight wools)? I'm thinking Howard Yount for pants, but I'm a 43-44L in jacket, and doubt the jackets will be big enough for me. I've read a lot about summer fabrics here, but almost all in the context of bespoke tailoring. Do things like this come up on B&S later in the year?

SG-22

Reaction score
I need to buy some new ties what are the basic types/colours I need to get me started? Any 'every wardrobe should one' style ties I should be looking at?

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads