• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's rightfully pissed that the folks who go on and on about how fitted jeans, oxfords and desert boots are the be-all-end-all of 'style' don't see any other possible way and has already tacitly acknowledged that others can still maintain these 'preppy' or 'workwear' based aesthetics but need to do so with edge and imagination for them to be worthy of his attention and praise (or tolerance?). It's just a shame that most people don't have the intelligence or the brooding self-confidence of a Fuuma or mellowfellow or whoever else is an internet-personality/minor celebrity to be able to construct or properly discuss these looks.

To be honest, I blame the all-round lack of culture that many of our posters seem to be experiencing. Growing up in the suburbs being only surrounded by malls and made-in-China really make something seemingly as authentic as workwear or the old-money prep look appealing. It's borrowed nostalgia and while I see it as kinda empty, I don't think it's really worthy of the seething hate that it often gets on the forum. That said, a lot of those guys come on and blather on about how gay they thing Uncontrol looks or that the sleeves on someone's Jil suit is too ******* long and don't realize that they lack the self-awareness to be able to justifiably criticize those looks. They're future MCers, as Fuuma basically pointed out.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RegisDB9
What you didn't like the bad guy in Karate Kid or something? Date ******....waaa?. The all black wearing thing would be more akin to that. No disrespect (although you need to put down the thesaurus) intended but it's a style like everyone else's here. I don't understand the hate towards it. I am far from preppy but I still incorporate pieces of it in my wardrobe
English isn't even my first language and I write 99% of what I post very quickly and without re-reading to validate it makes sense and is properly written. If you think what I write is too convoluted you need to pick up the thesaurus. Are you seriously asking me to write in a more mediocre manner? "it's a style" is a meaningless argument. Sure it is but styles are associated with certain things and generate some emotions and associations into their wearers and viewers (let's call this the "expressionism" angle) while also being a combination of textures, volumes and colours (let's call this the "formalism" angle-yeah I'm stealing from fine arts). I find the expressionist angle in preppy styles to go against my values to the point of being ideologically repugnant and the formalist angle to be stagnant, lacking in possibilities and too reliant on colour to the detriment of the other elements.

Russ24

Reaction score
Lots of action tonight. Im going to interrupt with a noob fit- don't kill me... Ive posted 2 others and havent gotten ripped apart yet, haha. This is no where near what some of you are rocking... but Im trying. I guess its a poor man's take on Synthese's fit a couple pages back. Ha. Constructive crits would be great...
(Apologies for the iPhone pics, dont have a legit camera- grad school money is tight.)

236b9966.jpg

Deets on the boots:
5313581e.jpg

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
English isn't even my first language and I write 99% of what I post very quickly and without re-reading to validate it makes sense and is properly written. If you think what I write is too convoluted you need to pick up the thesaurus. Are you seriously asking me to write in a more mediocre manner?

"it's a style" is a meaningless argument. Sure it is but styles are associated with certain things and generate some emotions and associations into their wearers and viewers (let's call this the "expressionism" angle) while also being a combination of textures, volumes and colours (let's call this the "formalism" angle-yeah I'm stealing from fine arts). I find the expressionist angle in preppy styles to go against my values to the point of being ideologically repugnant and the formalist angle to be stagnant, lacking in possibilities and too reliant on colour to the detriment of the other elements.

ok but, like, that's just your opinion, man

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like some workwear and heritage outfit, I just can't stand the onslaught of pontificating about timelessness many of them brought on the board.

I think the key here is the past tense. I can see how Humperdink would say this is a straw man, as posters like this don't really seem to take too much part in the discussions here anymore--and when they do, they're pretty quickly written off.

thanks to everyone who commented on my fit, yeah the pants probably could use a hem. i have like 6 pairs of pants that need a hem and these are the least offending of them all, too lazy to go to the tailor
ffffuuuu.gif

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Russ24
Lots of action tonight. Im going to interrupt with a noob fit- don't kill me... Ive posted 2 others and havent gotten ripped apart yet, haha. This is no where near what some of you are rocking... but Im trying. I guess its a poor man's take on Synthese's fit a couple pages back. Ha. Constructive crits would be great... (Apologies for the iPhone pics, dont have a legit camera- grad school money is tight.)
236b9966.jpg
Deets on the boots:
5313581e.jpg

not bad, need better camera/angle/lighting BUTTTT i think the chunky oversized scarf needs to be all the way over your clothes. not half over half under as it looks in the pic, otherwise, a solid fit not a fan of the watch but w/e

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Humperdink
I agree. I know that the "rules of style" mindset is not only still present on the forum, but that every once in awhile there's a new influx of mindless, swag-less, closet misogynist SW&D posters who lust over photos of Steve McQueen and James Dean in well-worn jean jackets. But, styleforum SW&D has moved past that over a year ago. Only braidkid (rip) in absentia and chronoaug seem to still be railing against the infrequent "timeless style" debates on a forum populated with guys wearing Ann-D boots, drop-crotch wjk sweats, Julius and Rick O leathers, and who are praised in recent purchases for picking up an obscure Junya-collab blazer or CCP dip-dyed boots, etc. Despite all the asinine commentary, the current active contributers on SW&D WAYWTD have been the most diverse and interesting in the three years that I've lurked on this forum.
I'm probably unlucky then because I check this thread 1-2/week and, quite often I get to see someone bringing up that **** and I really can't stand it anymore. I dunno but, while I do check superfuture much more rarely, whenever I search for something like Nigel Cabourn or engineered garment there they seem to be more open minded about what they like vs what other people like. I just wish this stupid topic could be buried, I wonder what'll happen when heritage gets thrown out of the fashion spotlight and its proponents realize it wasn't any more timeless than goth drape (maybe less cause the later has been going on since the 80s). I'm guessing many will jump ship (and that's fine) and others will soldier on with a clearer sense of what they like about it. What's sad with all this and which might get lost in my posting is that I don't see a problem with liking some pics of James Dean or dudes in raw denim with big cuffs photographed in the 50s. I just think that right now it and the MC equivalent bring out the worst in less discerning minds.

Russ24

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cowsareforeating
not bad, need better camera/angle/lighting
BUTTTT

i think the chunky oversized scarf needs to be all the way over your clothes. not half over half under as it looks in the pic, otherwise, a solid fit

not a fan of the watch but w/e

Thanks. Ya the watch is a bit dated. Im trying to find better places to take pics, but my apt. has pretty dim lighting, esp. after dark. Thanks for the tip on the scarf.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried on this Marni one but I was wearing a cashmere overcoat+silk scarf+flannel suit+french patinated shoes so it looked out of place and I never came back for it. It's pretty ******* dope.

OMG I got one !

IMG_3782.JPG

I just wish this stupid topic could be buried, I wonder what'll happen when heritage gets thrown out of the fashion spotlight and its proponents realize it wasn't any more timeless than goth drape (maybe less cause the later has been going on since the 80s). I'm guessing many will jump ship (and that's fine) and others will soldier on with a clearer sense of what they like about it.

This, THIS !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads