• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a card wallet tomorrow - best recommendations?

chriskirk

Reaction score
I have read the other threads about wallets but I didn't find any razor-targetted to solely card wallets.

As I'm in Manhattan, I came across this wallet at Saks Fifth Ave: http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...6YLI&ev19=1:32

I'm looking for something preferably in leather but I'd consider any materials put forth. I don't particularly like the non-folding card wallets as they make me feel uneasy - no idea why, I suppose I think i'll drop a card one day or perhaps I don't always want to flash the cards I have; I also like putting my wallet out in front of me closed when paying for instance or somewhere non-threatening like home or with friends, etc..

Budget isn't so much an issue here, I suppose something that's relatively low-key and well-designed that will last is what I'm looking for.

I like the Prada wallet I linked to above because it's simple, folds, holds 6 cards comfortably while being able to stash a few extras or business cards on the inside pockets.

I carry the following:

amex
visa
debit
driver's license
a few business cards
work security card
2 X MTA cards

Thanks in advance for the recommendations! I'm wagering you guys will come up with some good examples.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chriskirk
I have read the other threads about wallets but I didn't find any razor-targetted to solely card wallets.

As I'm in Manhattan, I came across this wallet at Saks Fifth Ave: http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...6YLI&ev19=1:32

I'm looking for something preferably in leather but I'd consider any materials put forth. I don't particularly like the non-folding card wallets as they make me feel uneasy - no idea why, I suppose I think i'll drop a card one day or perhaps I don't always want to flash the cards I have; I also like putting my wallet out in front of me closed when paying for instance or somewhere non-threatening like home or with friends, etc..

Budget isn't so much an issue here, I suppose something that's relatively low-key and well-designed that will last is what I'm looking for.

I like the Prada wallet I linked to above because it's simple, folds, holds 6 cards comfortably while being able to stash a few extras or business cards on the inside pockets.

I carry the following:

amex
visa
debit
driver's license
a few business cards
work security card
2 X MTA cards

Thanks in advance for the recommendations! I'm wagering you guys will come up with some good examples.

Go to one or two shops and see what they have and you like. There is no substitute for 'feeling' the goods to see if they meet YOUR exacting requirements.

kungapa

Reaction score
You should get a breast wallet instead, preferably in dark green.

chriskirk

Reaction score
kungapa: Lol, that was the first thread I read!! I'm heading up that way (Saks Fifth Ave) so may drop by and say hello!

chriskirk

Reaction score
Pei Hide: I really like the look of that wallet - and hand made in Japan!

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Prada's wallets and cases, but not the ones with the silver lettering on them. If you like an ID window (I don't particularly, but to each his own), then check out Ferragamo. They have some nice looking ones with contrasting colors for the interior and exterior. I've seen the LV pocket organizer too, which doesn't look bad when it's not in an LV logo pattern, it's just a bit big for my tastes.

One other thing to consider: given your particular feelings about opening it in public a lot (like getting on the train), consider one that has an exterior pocket as well.

Also, and this is important if you are in NYC, before you buy anything, go down to Peter Hermann on Thompson Street in SoHo. He has some very unusual English brands, including Launer. It's a great little shop, and if you want something different I think he'll be able to help you find it.

chriskirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
I like Prada's wallets and cases, but not the ones with the silver lettering on them. If you like an ID window (I don't particularly, but to each his own), then check out Ferragamo. They have some nice looking ones with contrasting colors for the interior and exterior. I've seen the LV pocket organizer too, which doesn't look bad when it's not in an LV logo pattern, it's just a bit big for my tastes. One other thing to consider: given your particular feelings about opening it in public a lot (like getting on the train), consider one that has an exterior pocket as well. Also, and this is important if you are in NYC, before you buy anything, go down to Peter Hermann on Thompson Street in SoHo. He has some very unusual English brands, including Launer. It's a great little shop, and if you want something different I think he'll be able to help you find it.
TimelessStyle: thank you so much for your informative reply! I agree with your taste in wallets and thanks to your suggestion about Peter Hermann I looked up Launer and immediately fell in love. That kind of style is EXACTLY what I've been dreaming of - just didn't know it existed. Going with the Launer-stlye wallet, can you think of any other designers that might also fit the bill? I haven't been to Peter Hermann - I just got back from SoHo though... Any other shops in Manhattan that you can recommend that might carry such exquisite brands and/or styles? Thanks a million TimelessStyle - wo/ your reply I would have just purchased the best one I could find at Saks Fifth without knowing what else was out there!

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chriskirk
TimelessStyle: thank you so much for your informative reply! I agree with your taste in wallets and thanks to your suggestion about Peter Hermann I looked up Launer and immediately fell in love. That kind of style is EXACTLY what I've been dreaming of - just didn't know it existed.

Going with the Launer-stlye wallet, can you think of any other designers that might also fit the bill? I haven't been to Peter Hermann - I just got back from SoHo though... Any other shops in Manhattan that you can recommend that might carry such exquisite brands and/or styles?

Thanks a million TimelessStyle - wo/ your reply I would have just purchased the best one I could find at Saks Fifth without knowing what else was out there!

Glad to be of help! To be honest, I'm not exactly sure where else to look. That's the only wallet boutique I really know in the city. Off the top of my head, I'd say you could try:

Bergdorf Goodman (sometimes have interesting things, but expensive)
Barney's (they sell Berlutti and Valextra, both very, very expensive)
Ralph Lauren (sometimes some exotic skin cases but again, rather pricey)
Mulberry (another English maker of leather goods, well regarded here)
Smythson (also British, up on 57th)

I still think what Peter Hermann has is more unique, but if you have time the others may be worth a look.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's quite a few cards you're carrying. I personally use a graphite damier canvas one from LV but carry less. I don't know what the consensus about LV is on SF but mine still looks pristine after using it for almost a year. You might want to check them out for a size that fits your needs.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ what else can be said!

senchao

Reaction score
I like this one: http://us.burberry.com/store/mens-ac...k-card-holder/ If you can get a good price
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics