• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marg

Reaction score
i got fitted at a store for the longwings, and my left foot is a half size shorter than my right. is the piston sound from heel slippage? i would rather not spend the extra 150 on a custom set of shoes in different sizes...

as for that dbag PEBBLEGRAIN that took a cut at me, he is obviously a clown

cfull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
dual alden noob mfers talking about air piston sounds with their same-as-sneaker sized barries. thefucaoutahere with your newfound authentica
well excuse the **** out of me. These ARE my first real pair of really nice shoes (that i've kept longer than a week). Thanks for welcoming a newb into the fold. Was that really necessary? I swear, some people. These aren't same-as-sneaker-size. I typically wear 10.5 or 11 in some sneakers, a 10 in just about every dress shoe, so I sized down to 9.5 for the Indys. I talked myself into making 9s in the 404 work because of an amazing deal i got on them, but had to let them go a couple days later as they were too tight in reality.

wangvicous

Reaction score
Everyone's feet are different sizes... you guys either got the wrong size or you need to different width. Ime dress shoes should be sized down until you can't shift your foot left or right with the shoe tied but ymmv

cfull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wangvicous
Everyone's feet are different sizes... you guys either got the wrong size or you need to different width. Ime dress shoes should be sized down until you can't shift your foot left or right with the shoe tied but ymmv

i actually can't shift my foot around in the boot. However, i do think that some air is getting down in there and forced back out around the ankle, as i do have some space in there with the boot tied thanks to bony ankles.

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Are all Alden seconds marked with an R? Do some pairs slip through without being marked with the R on the sole?

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cfull
well excuse the **** out of me. These ARE my first real pair of really nice shoes (that i've kept longer than a week). Thanks for welcoming a newb into the fold. Was that really necessary? I swear, some people.

These aren't same-as-sneaker-size. I typically wear 10.5 or 11 in some sneakers, a 10 in just about every dress shoe, so I sized down to 9.5 for the Indys. I talked myself into making 9s in the 404 work because of an amazing deal i got on them, but had to let them go a couple days later as they were too tight in reality.

Necessary? Probably not. But funny (of course I'm already on record stating that I don't give a **** what size you are in the Trubalance last, or was it Barrie?).

More pics, less sizing ...

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Opinions? - everyone when nuts on the beautiful saddle that Tom did in #4 - these have been available for a while at ShoeMart - seems like it's the type of shoe that I'll either love or hate when I get them, no in between.

QTime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
Opinions? - everyone when nuts on the beautiful saddle that Tom did in #4 - these have been available for a while at ShoeMart - seems like it's the type of shoe that I'll either love or hate when I get them, no in between.

Not made of shell so nothing special. Thats why nobody talks about it ^^

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
The black part of the saddle shoe is shell cordovan.

Exactly - I realize the main part is calf, was looking for comments on the look.

Pastor

Reaction score
The pics I posted yesterday (the cigar LWB and Ravello WingTip boots) are of my first Aldens. I wear a 10D or a 9.5E in AE shoes. The SA suggested I order a 9.5 D in the Barrie last. Right out of the box they looked big to me but that could be because of the size of the sole. When I tried on the Ravello boots I thought they felt great. I laced them up walked around a bit and experienced no slippage whatsoever. They really feel nice on my feet although they still look huge to me. I next tried to put on the LWB and just putting my feet in them they felt too big. I laced them up stood up and by simply picking my foot up I felt some slippage on my heel. It seems weird that one pair would feel great while the other pair felt too big. Both are the same size on the same last. I called and asked them to send me a 9D so that I can try it on side by side with the 9.5D. I'll keep the ones that fit the best. Anyone else had any kind of experiences like this?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Not at all surprising that your foot feels more secure in a pair of boots versus shoes.
Heel slipage also isn't surprising with a new pair of double leather sole shoes.

mike f

Reaction score
Been awhile since I got an Alden IRR update from The Shoe Mart, 2 or 3 months? Has anyone got a recent update or are they doing it differently?

Best and TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads