• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much material would I need to have a pair of trousers made with a 39" waist, 31" inseam?

mrtef3

Reaction score

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrtef3
Ben Silver has a purple wool otc sock, but I don't know how dark it is because it's one of the few colors not pictured:

http://www.bensilver.com/Wool-Dress-Socks,19823.html

Originally Posted by kgmessier
Many of the wool socks seem to match their cotton socks by color number. If there's any truth to that, seems the "purple" (color 590) would be on the lighter side.

Yeah, I looked at those, but was unsure about the color, thanks anyway.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
Can you provide a swatch of the kind of purple you're thinking of? (Doesn't have to be a sock picture—any ol' swatch'll do.)
The purple of RLPL if that makes any sense. Or anything darker than this.
tumblr_lenz9rF5ba1qfbji5

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by digilypse
That's what I was thinking, but it just seemed really long for my body and felt like it made my legs stumpier than they already are. Maybe it had to do with the general bagginess making the "dad suit" effect seem worse than it was?

Your particular build may require a 34 (good luck) or an Extra short (good luck again). But a slim cut would be necessary anyway- short guys like us are especially vulnerable to the kid in dad's suit effect.

The best advice is to try stuff on.

rtb178

Reaction score
Where would one look for good value off-the-rack summer weight pants and jackets (linen, mohair, but I guess also lightweight wools)? I'm thinking Howard Yount for pants, but I'm a 43-44L in jacket, and doubt the jackets will be big enough for me. I've read a lot about summer fabrics here, but almost all in the context of bespoke tailoring. Do things like this come up on B&S later in the year?

polloloco

Reaction score
All good choices. I would pick based on outfits you wear more often. If you wear more brown-based outfits, pairing w/ brown shoes, go with a brown bag. If not go with a black. I just have this thing about matching...

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what colors and patterns of shirts should i get first?

i'm trying to build a decent collection shirts while i'm still in college...i have all MTM stuff that fits well so far.

so far i have:

1 white OCBD
2 blue OCBD, one herringbone another oxford

should i get a couple more white and blues in different collars? like get a couple straight point collars? should i stick with white and blue exclusively until i have a variety of collar/cuff combinations in those colors? if i should move on to other colors, which?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
what colors and patterns of shirts should i get first?

i'm trying to build a decent collection shirts while i'm still in college...i have all MTM stuff that fits well so far.

so far i have:

1 white OCBD
2 blue OCBD, one herringbone another oxford

should i get a couple more white and blues in different collars? like get a couple straight point collars? should i stick with white and blue exclusively until i have a variety of collar/cuff combinations in those colors? if i should move on to other colors, which?

Pencil stripes, wide stripes, pin dots, gingham etc.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Approximate vintage of a Rolex with acrylic crystal (Pre-??? year)? And how much would it cost for replacement?

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My actual chest size is 34-34.5 As far as selecting sports coat I should go with a size 36 or a 34? I notice there are size 34 on some sites. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics