• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by LSBH today. Only needed some trees, but chatted with Bryan for a bit. Very helpful as usual. Looking forward to what the trunk show has to offer.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nbernie
Can you guys enlighten me as to what the actual color of Ravello is? These from LS :
http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/201...shortwing-lsw/

look very different from the color of these:
http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...Brixton/Detail

Is the color more the rich brown (former) or reddish (latter)?

My ravello longwings look like Leather Souls, so more of a lighter brown. Ravello and cigar are my personal favorite shell colors in terms of versatility.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nbernie
Within the same run?

I doubt in the same run. It's sorta like how some folks say that certain models of #8 look nearly black out of the box, but others look burgundy also right out of the box.

I wouldn't know for sure though as I don't have a pair yet. (Preordered from Epaulet).

norcal_indy

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of LWB in #8 today and am wondering if they should be shined prior to wearing for the first time? I usually just wear shoes until they need shined but this is my first pair of shell shoes and I'm not sure about the proper care of shell. Also, I read this article (http://shineology.blogspot.com/2010/...new-shoes.html) about the need to shine shoes before wearing. Any thoughts?

marg

Reaction score
Two issues on my new #8 lwb.

First, The left shoe seems to be from different dye lots. The main shoe is very dark, but the pieces on top with brogueing are a slightly lighter shade. I didnt notice in the shop, but it is present in natural light. Is this normal?

Second, also on the left shoe, when I walk there is a strong sound of air movement, almost like a piston. My left foot is slightly shorter. I was told the shoe just has to break in. Thoughts or experiences are appreciated.

cfull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marg

First, The left shoe seems to be from different dye lots. The main shoe is very dark, but the pieces on top with brogueing are a slightly lighter shade. I didnt notice in the shop, but it is present in natural light. Is this normal?

Second, also on the left shoe, when I walk there is a strong sound of air movement, almost like a piston. My left foot is slightly shorter. I was told the shoe just has to break in. Thoughts or experiences are appreciated.

Im getting the air piston sound too on my new Epaulet Officer Indys. Right foot only, and only noticeable when i had them on in the office (on carpet, my home is hardwood) floor. After about 20 minutes of adjusting unsuccessfully, I just assumed it was something I'm going to have to live with.

lambchop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pastor
Just got these in today!

hpim1782.jpg

By ststegall at 2011-02-12[/IMG]

Good looking boots. Make sure you get your size dialed in properly on the shoes. A little big is usually better. I found out the hard way after buying my first pair of Aldens too small.

lambchop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcal_indy
I picked up a pair of LWB in #8 today and am wondering if they should be shined prior to wearing for the first time? I usually just wear shoes until they need shined but this is my first pair of shell shoes and I'm not sure about the proper care of shell. Also, I read this article (http://shineology.blogspot.com/2010/...new-shoes.html) about the need to shine shoes before wearing. Any thoughts?

I asked this same question here a couple weeks back. Apparently Alden puts a shine on them at the factory and you don't need to do anything special. Just wear them and use the Mac method for polishing:

(pasted from the agatine eyelet blog)

1- Clean shoes with damp cloth
2- Brush vigorously with a horsehair brush
3- Buff with smooth cloth
4- Use wax after a minimum of fifteen wearings

Its been working great for me. Thanks Mac and Jason.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renton
Where did you find those boots?

You bought the same lasts in the same size and they fit different? Are those ravello boots?

Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
Stopped by LSBH today. Only needed some trees, but chatted with Bryan for a bit. Very helpful as usual. Looking forward to what the trunk show has to offer.

He didn't talk to me
frown.gif

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cfull
Im getting the air piston sound too on my new Epaulet Officer Indys. Right foot only, and only noticeable when i had them on in the office (on carpet, my home is hardwood) floor. After about 20 minutes of adjusting unsuccessfully, I just assumed it was something I'm going to have to live with.
dual alden noob mfers talking about air piston sounds with their same-as-sneaker sized barries. thefucaoutahere with your newfound authentica

dport86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by david3558
Can't decide which one to get:
tank21.jpg
tank22.jpg
tank24.jpg
What do you guys think? As much as I'd love to, I can't purchase both!

As asked above, are they doing another run of these? Listed as sold out on the website. I have the brown ones and beware, in person they are much redder--more typical chromexcel. Not quite 80's Timberland lug boots but not as rich/deep as the pictures. You can darken them up with Obenauf's though. I posted some real life shots back in Nov. or Dec. in this thread. That said, would still love another pair in black. Originally didn't pull the trigger b/c the black was lady-calf, so much softer and prone to wrinkling. Someone recently sold a black used pair on Ebay for $25 less than new, so suspecting these may be sold out.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
He didn't talk to me
frown.gif

I wouldn't take it personally. From what I am aware, Bryan is the only employee of LSBH. Six days a week he is there, and from my experience, even after hours he is still willing to get back to emails. And while he does a great job at running the place, I am sure it can be tough when you have phone calls, email orders, and walk-ins. Us Alden geeks can be a demanding bunch, haha. He did say that they are still looking for some extra help over there, so anyone with some extra time should definitely shoot a resume to Tom.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just got a pair of whiskey lw's and the left shoe is the opposite of yours. brogueing is darker than the "main shoe."

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As to issue 1, I wouldn't say it's uncommon. Remember that if a shell has been sitting for a while it may lighten up a bit. As time goes on the colors should even out.

In regard to issue two, if you have some heel slippage, then I would be slightly concerned. While some heel slippage is standard until they are broken in, major heel slippage is a sign of improper sizing.

I actually went down a full size on the Barrie last, as it's the longest of the lasts. I normally wear a size 9 in Nike and New Balance.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads