• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrifters: when do you go?

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only ever stop by Goodwill or Value Village if I'm in the neighborhood and have a few minutes. However, I'm sure there are better times to look - after shipments come in, before they've been stripped clean. Anyone have hints? Bonus gratitude to info for the Seattle area!

mk.ultra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
I only ever stop by Goodwill or Value Village if I'm in the neighborhood and have a few minutes. However, I'm sure there are better times to look - after shipments come in, before they've been stripped clean. Anyone have hints? Bonus gratitude to info for the Seattle area!
You need to dedicate more than a few minutes. I'm usually in a store for 1-2 hours depending how good it is. I just go when I have free time, which isn't too often. Goodwill is almost always working on putting stuff out. Source: Used to work at Goodwill.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed! I always think I'm going to just be a few minutes, but it does always take a chunk of time to sift through things. Thanks for the response!

Poindexter

Reaction score
I asked a girl who checks out at Saver's this question, and she said, 'There is no better time. We put stuff out all day, and the flippers, a lot of them come in several times a day.'

Luck o' de draw, man.

Poinz

andrew96

Reaction score
These's no best time, you just have to get lucky. I don't take quite that long. I look carefully through the jackets, then shirts, then shoes, I quickly look through the ties,belts and I don't look at the pants. I'm not a fan of other people's pants.

amadar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andrew96
These's no best time, you just have to get lucky. I don't take quite that long. I look carefully through the jackets, then shirts, then shoes, I quickly look through the ties,belts and I don't look at the pants. I'm not a fan of other people's pants.

+1. My routine exactly. To hell with other peoples' pee-soaked leftovers.

RedRaider

Reaction score
I will say I seem to enjoy weekdays, especially during lunch or right after work - there are a ton less people there and I find I am able to really take my time.

Most thrift stores don't have a set schedule to put out new stuff, at least the ones where I am don't. I've seen employees come out with four or five racks of new clothes when I am there and other times I don't see any employees putting out new stuff - the key is to go often and look over everything. Thrift stores are disorganized by nature IMO - thus I look in every size section and every bin in and around certain areas.

gdwy89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Poindexter
I asked a girl who checks out at Saver's this question, and she said, 'There is no better time. We put stuff out all day, and the flippers, a lot of them come in several times a day.'

Luck o' de draw, man.

Poinz

Right idea, but I think the wrong generalization. Stores can vary from location to location so my advice would be to ask. You may get an answer like Poindexter's or you may hear something different.

I like to go in the middle of the week. Gives the employees an opportunity to replenish the stock from the weekend rush. Also my Goodwill has a 20% off everything sale (not already marked with the week's 50% off tag) on Wednesdays for students, seniors, and servicemen.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedRaider
I will say I seem to enjoy weekdays, especially during lunch or right after work - there are a ton less people there and I find I am able to really take my time.

Really? I find it quite the opposite. Lunch time and after work is the worst time to go during the week because it seems everyone and their brother is there.

Knucklehead

Reaction score
I've heard people say the morning is better because thats when people who own vintage shops/more expensive consignment shops tend to come in. Not sure if thats true.

RedRaider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Really? I find it quite the opposite. Lunch time and after work is the worst time to go during the week because it seems everyone and their brother is there.

Ah yes, I agree with you. I should have said it is better than the weekends - any weekday at any time is better than the weekends.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lately I've been going Saturday afternoons, because that's the only time convenient for me. Fortunately, there is an awesome French bakery and coffee shop right down the block, so I get a coffee and browse for an hour.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
We probably need a thread on thrifting rules in general. A few of mine:

if it says 'bespoke' on the tag....it's not

Made in Italy isn't a synonym for 'it's good and/or well made'

Savile Row the brand has nothing to do with the tailors we hear so much about.

If you see Macy's on the tag you can pretty much keep moving.

Spend lots of time looking at the thrift thread and the suit hierarchy thread prior to spending a lot of money thrifting. Many of us (me included) make a lot of **** purchased because we don't know anything. Oh, and do things like passing Oxxford suits because who misspells Oxford? I really thought it was an off brand when I first got started. This is the number one rule for anyone getting started!

Higher end thrift stores that charge $100 for a Nautica suit don't know a lot of high end brands. I have gotten $6 Samuelsohn's in a store with that $100 Nautica because it's relatively rare and normal people have no idea about it.

As stated frequently, 99% of stuff in the thrifts are total garbage, that's why they are there. Most days you won't find good stuff. If you want to build a wardrobe you have to spend time looking and at several stores.

Any others?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This threak is a crime against yourselves. Loose lips sink ships. I would have thought you wise enough to protect your secrets.
blush.gif

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
We probably need a thread on thrifting rules in general. A few of mine:

if it says 'bespoke' on the tag....it's not

Made in Italy isn't a synonym for 'it's good and/or well made'

Savile Row the brand has nothing to do with the tailors we hear so much about.

If you see Macy's on the tag you can pretty much keep moving.

Spend lots of time looking at the thrift thread and the suit hierarchy thread prior to spending a lot of money thrifting. Many of us (me included) make a lot of **** purchased because we don't know anything. Oh, and do things like passing Oxxford suits because who misspells Oxford? I really thought it was an off brand when I first got started. This is the number one rule for anyone getting started!

Higher end thrift stores that charge $100 for a Nautica suit don't know a lot of high end brands. I have gotten $6 Samuelsohn's in a store with that $100 Nautica because it's relatively rare and normal people have no idea about it.

As stated frequently, 99% of stuff in the thrifts are total garbage, that's why they are there. Most days you won't find good stuff. If you want to build a wardrobe you have to spend time looking and at several stores.

Any others?

Excellent!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads